Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 32 Likes Search this Thread
04-25-2021, 03:56 PM   #1

K3-iii, any news on Eye AF and Video Codec?

Hi!
There seems to be an endless flood of videos from brand ambassadors.
I'm afraid i don't have time to watch them all, to find out about Eye AF and the bitrate of the video codec.
Do you know any more?
Micha

04-25-2021, 04:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would also be interested in this. Any thoughts.
04-25-2021, 04:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bromberger Quote
Hi!
There seems to be an endless flood of videos from brand ambassadors.
I'm afraid i don't have time to watch them all, to find out about Eye AF and the bitrate of the video codec.
Do you know any more?
Micha

Already posted the bit rate question in this thread .
So what about that 4K video ? - PentaxForums.com
04-26-2021, 12:12 AM   #4

LOL, I wish YT had subtitle search... there's a lot of vids like this one:

04-26-2021, 02:56 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chriswill Quote
LOL, I wish YT had subtitle search... there's a lot of vids like this one: Pentax K3 Mark III vs Fuji XT4 | Part 1 - YouTube
Are you saying this video contains information on the topics from my original post?
04-26-2021, 06:00 AM - 1 Like   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by chriswill Quote
LOL, I wish YT had subtitle search... there's a lot of vids like this one: Pentax K3 Mark III vs Fuji XT4 | Part 1 - YouTube
Yes lot's of video like this one. 8]

Author of this video haven't seen K-3 III with his own eyes, but he is comparing it with another product.

Rules of engagement for Youtube influencers.
1. Be the first one to make a video about product.
2. No more rules.

IMHO do not waste your time to watch this.
04-26-2021, 06:34 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Ken Rockwell must be furious! He was The expert in hands-off reviews...

04-26-2021, 07:25 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bromberger Quote
Do you know any more?
More about Video Bitrate (90Mbit/s) is written here:
This is the Pentax K-3 Mark III - Page 6 - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by angerdan; 05-01-2021 at 08:27 AM.
04-26-2021, 10:33 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Mine arrived this morning … I don't think there is an "eye a/f" feature. Any confusion was probably caused by the choice of phraseology referring to the little sensor below the optical viewfinder which switches the main screen off when the camera is brought up to eye level … a feature my Samsung NX5 had 10 years ago!
As for the video codec, if I knew what tool to use to interrogate a video file for that information I could check, but I don't do much with video, so it's not a subject I'm familiar with.
04-26-2021, 11:15 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Mine arrived this morning … I don't think there is an "eye a/f" feature. Any confusion was probably caused by the choice of phraseology referring to the little sensor below the optical viewfinder which switches the main screen off when the camera is brought up to eye level … a feature my Samsung NX5 had 10 years ago!
As for the video codec, if I knew what tool to use to interrogate a video file for that information I could check, but I don't do much with video, so it's not a subject I'm familiar with.
Eye AF is automatic. There is no actual setting the user can toggle for eye or no eye AF. By combining AF+AE you enable subject recognition which is the only available way for eye AF which depends on the subject.
04-26-2021, 11:25 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As @Kobie said, no eye AF setting per se. However, it’s clearly there and working. I did some test shots of my TV on Friday, and it decided that when there wasn’t a face on screen, the word containing ‘oo’ looked like a pair of eyes.
04-26-2021, 12:06 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think there is an "eye a/f" feature.

Any confusion was probably caused by the choice of phraseology referring to the little sensor below the optical viewfinder which switches the main screen off when the camera is brought up to eye level … a feature my Samsung NX5 had 10 years ago!
Of course the Metering Sensor can detect eyes and allow the focus-points to priorize them.
New K-3 III video from Ricoh: OVF face, eye and bird detection is coming. - Page 4 - PentaxForums.com
This is the Pentax K-3 Mark III - Page 4 - PentaxForums.com

Confusion can be cleared with this:
AF-C of K-3III is impressive - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Faster and better yes. But you mistake eye-tracking with eye-detection.

Eye tracking is the process of measuring either the point of gaze (where one is looking) or the motion of an eye relative to the head.
Eye tracking - Wikipedia

The Face and eye-detection of the K-3 III allows the AF to track eyes with the fokus-points.
04-26-2021, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
Eye AF is automatic. There is no actual setting the user can toggle for eye or no eye AF. By combining AF+AE you enable subject recognition which is the only available way for eye AF which depends on the subject.
Right … my mis-interpretation … the camera can detect an eye on a subject, it doesn't detect where the user's eye is looking and focus there … ooops
It'll be interesting to find out at what range and what size eye this feature is reliable for … bird at 100 yards?
04-26-2021, 02:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
MediaInfo ?
04-26-2021, 06:45 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by BlackTea Quote
Yes lot's of video like this one. 8]

Author of this video haven't seen K-3 III with his own eyes, but he is comparing it with another product.

Rules of engagement for Youtube influencers.
1. Be the first one to make a video about product.
2. No more rules.

IMHO do not waste your time to watch this.
The next one from him will be the one to watch. He's actually shelled out the $$ to buy one. He's a bit like a colour commentator on sports. Ramps it up to make the video more interesting but I think overall he's likely going to give it a fair evaluation. The reality is that if he trashes it for video, I don't "really" care as that's not why I ordered one. I just need adequate video for my purposes. Anything above that is a bonus.