Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2021, 07:09 PM - 8 Likes   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BlackTea Quote
Yes lot's of video like this one. 8]

Author of this video haven't seen K-3 III with his own eyes, but he is comparing it with another product.

Rules of engagement for Youtube influencers.
1. Be the first one to make a video about product.
2. No more rules.

IMHO do not waste your time to watch this.

What's ironic is your implying I made the video to "be first" so that what? I would make a ton of cash because I'm such a big time YT influencer? Obviously you didn't watch the video... because I address that very topic in the first 2 minutes. Yet you can criticize it. Kinda like me making a video comparing the K3 Mark III to the Xt4 when I haven't got the K3 Mark III yet. But it's ok for you to do that but not me? I even said in the video and I quote: "if I wanted to get a bunch of crap dumped on my head I'd hang out in Pentax Forums."

The point of my video was to serve as an introduction to a series of videos I'm planning on doing comparing my K3 Mark III (when I get it later this week) to my current workhorse Fuji XT4. And to kick off that series while I wait I made a video about my initial thoughts comparing some the the specifications that stood out to me for my purposes. Why would I need to have the camera in hand to compare the specs from the B&H website? How would having the camera in hand change the specifications?

I understand Pentaxians are defensive in nature, it comes with the underdog territory. But make sure your enemy is really an enemy before going into attack mode. I would think underdogs would need all the friends they can find.

And I am extremely interested in the video performance of the K3 Mark III and as soon as I get it, or I find out some other way, what the codec bitrate is and how/if the eye af is there or works I'll let the OP know.

So far it seems that AF during video will only work with certain lenses like the PLM's and to a lessor extent the DC motor ones, but I don't know for sure as I have not tried it yet...

---------- Post added 04-26-21 at 07:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SimplyCreativePhotography Quote
The next one from him will be the one to watch. He's actually shelled out the $$ to buy one. He's a bit like a colour commentator on sports. Ramps it up to make the video more interesting but I think overall he's likely going to give it a fair evaluation. The reality is that if he trashes it for video, I don't "really" care as that's not why I ordered one. I just need adequate video for my purposes. Anything above that is a bonus.
Thanks. I try to be fair and I appreciate you saying as much. I doubt very much that I would or will "trash it." Even without actually having one physically yet it does seem to be pretty impressive from what research I've been doing. (I'm sure that that is OK. Praise without seeing it is OK? )

Some of the more recent 1080P I've seen has looked promising, and someone commented that the 4K is better than the 1080p, so that's very encouraging. As I read above, the codec bitrate is 90 and that's good too. I think it's going to be good, actually, but I'm going to have to see for myself obviously.

The only real question I have is what lens will utilize the video AF to it's full potential. Of course manual focusing is always an option and probably the only option with screw drive lenses, so it will be nice to know what lenses are optimal.

04-26-2021, 09:20 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Looking forward to that comparo, thanks ED.
04-26-2021, 09:26 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
The only real question I have is what lens will utilize the video AF to it's full potential.
The DA 55-300 PLM?
04-26-2021, 09:33 PM   #19

What's ironic is your implying I made the video to "be first" so that what? I would make a ton of cash because I'm such a big time YT influencer? Obviously you didn't watch the video... because I address that very topic in the first 2 minutes. Yet you can criticize it. Kinda like me making a video comparing the K3 Mark III to the Xt4 when I haven't got the K3 Mark III yet. But it's ok for you to do that but not me? I even said in the video and I quote: "if I wanted to get a bunch of crap dumped on my head I'd hang out in Pentax Forums."
30 minutes of taking about camera that you haven't used yet?
Are you making a full time movie (or more) about the new Pentax DSLR?
Well, I just do not have enough time for watching things like that and that was my comment here, sorry.

The other issue I mentioned is how review by "influencers" works.
When new product is announced there are lot's of review videos based on marketing materials and specification comparing pro and cons without even touching that hardware.So when I try to find out more about something I would like to buy, the web is already flooded with poor quality reviews (from technical point of view).

I'm about to buy this new camera, but it is expensive. So I'm looking for reviews and that is why I've seen your video and have skimmed thru it even before it was mentioned here.

I wish you could add links to specific point in time to your review like this review of BMPCC 6K Pro (49 minutes) so people like me could just get to the part that is interesting for them.

04-26-2021, 09:47 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
Looking forward to that comparo, thanks ED.
Thank you, I will do my best, so don't expect too much...

---------- Post added 04-26-21 at 09:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
The DA 55-300 PLM?
LOL, don't have a lot of use for telephoto video...

I ordered the 20-40 Limited which I know is slow, but it should work being a DC motor lens. The 20-40 range would be really quite useful for video actually for me.

---------- Post added 04-26-21 at 10:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BlackTea Quote
30 minutes of taking about camera that you haven't used yet?
Are you making a full time movie (or more) about the new Pentax DSLR?
Well, I just do not have enough time for watching things like that and that was my comment here, sorry.

The other issue I mentioned is how review by "influencers" works.
When new product is announced there are lot's of review videos based on marketing materials and specification comparing pro and cons without even touching that hardware.So when I try to find out more about something I would like to buy, the web is already flooded with poor quality reviews (from technical point of view).

I'm about to buy this new camera, but it is expensive. So I'm looking for reviews and that is why I've seen your video and have skimmed thru it even before it was mentioned here.

I wish you could add links to specific point in time to your review like this review of BMPCC 6K Pro (49 minutes) so people like me could just get to the part that is interesting for them.
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K Pro | In-Depth Review & Test Footage - YouTube

Having used Pentax gear since I bought a new Pentax ME-Super in 1980 and then using Pentax cameras professionally for 20+ years and having a dedicated Youtube channel which has featured a lot of Pentax content since 2011 with over 11+K subscribers and many recent (hundreds?) comments and emails asking me to "review" the Pentax K3 Mark III, I figured maybe just someone might think I was qualified to start discussing the camera a few days before I actually got one.

Yes, I am making a full time movie and more about the Pentax K3 Mark III. I'm just doing it in "chunks."

I understand if you don't have the time to watch my lunatic ravings. Heck I'm surprised people actually do watch them. But A LOT of people do and seem to enjoy them. (20,300 views and 2,000 hours worth of me ranting last month alone. It really does amaze me. Really.) I very much appreciate your apology, thank you so no worries.

If you think I'm an "influencer" then I sort of take that as a complement. I do think that part of my channels success is a.) I'm basically nuts, and b.) I say what's on my mind, not what I think people want to hear, even if I'm wrong sometimes. I don't think Pentax actually did themselves any favors sending the cameras ahead of time to those "impressionists" along with the same identical script to all of them containing all the nice things they wanted them to say about the camera, with no real substance of how the camera actually performs which is what we all want to know! Myself included.

My "reviews" of the camera will be poor quality, but they won't list specs and read through the menus or be based on marketing materials... Definitley not that. The morons at Pentax don't send me stuff like that... . They will most likely be 15 minutes of me going off on tangents and 5 minutes of information you just wont get anywhere else. Like what I think of the cameras performance based upon a lifetime of using Pentax's professionally in my usual subtle and eloquent way... LOL.

If you watch my videos from an "entertainment" perspective I promise you every once in a while there's some useful valuable information included by accident. I also do livestreams, my next one is Thursday at approximately 7:00pm PDT. Join me and I'll do my best to answer any questions you may have regarding Pentax cameras or lenses or anything about gear or photography or aviation etc, or just say Hi and hang out... if you have the time.

Last edited by Qwntm; 04-26-2021 at 10:19 PM. Reason: typo
04-26-2021, 11:58 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

LOL, don't have a lot of use for telephoto video...
It's PLM. I understood that you needed PLM to take advantage of AF in video, which was the premise you stated.
04-27-2021, 12:31 AM   #22
Veteran Member

It's PLM. I understood that you needed PLM to take advantage of AF in video, which was the premise you stated.
And I appreciate it. I think the 55-300mm PLM would be a great lens for the purpose if someone needed to do telephoto video shots. (And as a lightweight tele in general, too) A lot of video is shot in the wide and very wide end of things I think, though. I know my preferred indoor FL is 35mm (FF) 23mm APS-c and around 20-24 (14-16 APS-c) outdoors for what I'm doing.

Like I mentioned I ordered the 20-40mm LTD tonight so if that works out that's going to be great!

Thanks again.

04-27-2021, 04:12 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chriswill Quote
LOL, I wish YT had subtitle search... there's a lot of vids like this one: Pentax K3 Mark III vs Fuji XT4 | Part 1 - YouTube
How long before he gets to the point.
04-27-2021, 05:11 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
And I appreciate it. I think the 55-300mm PLM would be a great lens for the purpose if someone needed to do telephoto video shots. (And as a lightweight tele in general, too) A lot of video is shot in the wide and very wide end of things I think, though. I know my preferred indoor FL is 35mm (FF) 23mm APS-c and around 20-24 (14-16 APS-c) outdoors for what I'm doing.

Like I mentioned I ordered the 20-40mm LTD tonight so if that works out that's going to be great!

Thanks again.
Personally I'm looking forward to reading what you have to say about using this camera and the extensive customization it offers. You've shot Pentax for a very long time, apparently only somewhat recently going off on a different path.

Pentax has never made a camera like this, so totally and completely customizable to your own photographic interests. You can pivot on a dime, go in a totally different direction at the twist of a dial as the scene leads you. No need in taking focus off your subject while rotating thru the quick settings important to YOU, your eye never straying from the prismatic viewfinder where everything you need to know is displayed. Talk about making a connection to your subject!

This is not going to be K70 or KP territory. It will take time and dedication to understand the possibilities of the K3 III. Having you "back in the pack" and sharing what you discover helps every one of us with our own needs, and we hope it helps you too. It might look like a Pentax but we're all noobs when it comes to some of the features of this one. I know for sure I am.

Last edited by gatorguy; 04-27-2021 at 07:02 PM.
04-27-2021, 06:54 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I know my preferred indoor FL is 35mm (FF) 23mm APS-c and around 20-24 (14-16 APS-c) outdoors for what I'm doing. Like I mentioned I ordered the 20-40mm LTD tonight so if that works out that's going to be great!
OK. I hope that the 20-40 works for you. I wonder if the DA*16-50 PLM and DA*11-18 DC would be ideal for wide angle through to standard focal length videography out of the current range? I'm curious to find out what lenses work with all aspects of the K3 iii AF in stills and video. So far, the only lens I've seen tested is the 55-300 PLM.
04-27-2021, 08:05 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Personally I'm looking forward to reading what you have to say about using this camera and the extensive customization it offers. You've shot Pentax for a very long time, apparently only somewhat recently going off on a different path.

Pentax has never made a camera like this, so totally and completely customizable to your own photographic interests. You can pivot on a dime, go in a totally different direction at the twist of a dial as the scene leads you. No need in taking focus off your subject while rotating thru the quick settings important to YOU, your eye never straying from the prismatic viewfinder where everything you need to know is displayed. Talk about making a connection to your subject!

This is not going to be K70 or KP territory. It will take time and dedication to understand the possibilities of the K3 III. Having you "back in the pack" and sharing what you discover helps every one of us with our own needs, and we hope it helps you too. It might look like a Pentax but we're all noobs when it comes to some of the features of this one. I know for sure I am.
Thank you. I'll do my best. I have always shot Pentax and still do, it just hasn't been my primary system for the past few years.

From what I have seen so far you are right. This is going to be the Pentax UI on steroids and after 2 years of weight training with Arnold!

It is definitely going to require time to dial it in and get used to it, even just to figure out what you want, and where. It's almost infinite possibilities in infinite combinations it seems.

You are absolutely right: we are all staring at ground zero on this I think as well! The menus look SO different! How exciting!

---------- Post added 04-27-21 at 08:10 PM ----------

OK. I hope that the 20-40 works for you. I wonder if the DA*16-50 PLM and DA*11-18 DC would be ideal for wide angle through to standard focal length videography out of the current range? I'm curious to find out what lenses work with all aspects of the K3 iii AF in stills and video. So far, the only lens I've seen tested is the 55-300 PLM.
Yes, so far from what I can tell it's the KAF4 lenses that are the ticket. And I think that's the PLM ones. I know the 11-18 is KAF3. Not sure how big an impact that's going to have though in terms of limitations. The 55-300 PLM is a KAF4 as you know and probably the KAF4 lens that most people have.

I'm not sure the 20-40 is going to work at all now actually as I've been told it doesn't with the KP in terms of AF during video. We'll see... I really wish Pentax had included a table of compatibility for this in the manual, but I guess there are worse holes in the manual then that from what I've read... It's a brand new world now and we all just have wait to learn how it works.
04-27-2021, 09:02 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yes, so far from what I can tell it's the KAF4 lenses that are the ticket. And I think that's the PLM ones. I know the 11-18 is KAF3. Not sure how big an impact that's going to have though in terms of limitations. The 55-300 PLM is a KAF4 as you know and probably the KAF4 lens that most people have. I'm not sure the 20-40 is going to work at all now actually as I've been told it doesn't with the KP in terms of AF during video. We'll see... I really wish Pentax had included a table of compatibility for this in the manual, but I guess there are worse holes in the manual then that from what I've read... It's a brand new world now and we all just have wait to learn how it works.
I would expect the 20-40 to work in single AF mode, not AFC and not while recording, but it will be interesting to find out. So you could certainly use it if you set up the shots with cinematography style planning to minimise the need to change focus during the shot (unless you want to change focus manually). It all depends on what sort of recordings you want to make.
04-27-2021, 10:03 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I would expect the 20-40 to work in single AF mode, not AFC and not while recording, but it will be interesting to find out. So you could certainly use it if you set up the shots with cinematography style planning to minimise the need to change focus during the shot (unless you want to change focus manually). It all depends on what sort of recordings you want to make.
Yes. In my office for my vlogs or "fireside chats" as they've been called, that would work fine. I'm not sure about in the field, but I think it might be OK as well. Just have to try it and see how it turns out. The 4K looks very usable from what I've seen.
04-27-2021, 11:33 PM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yes. In my office for my vlogs or "fireside chats" as they've been called, that would work fine. I'm not sure about in the field, but I think it might be OK as well. Just have to try it and see how it turns out. The 4K looks very usable from what I've seen.
Cool. Outdoors at a distance with a wide angle lens and a decent f-stop you'll have a reasonable amount of DOF, which helps. I just wouldn't expect to walk around with it at arm's length as some vloggers do with smaller cameras.
05-01-2021, 12:51 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by Bromberger Quote
Are you saying this video contains information on the topics from my original post?
missed that quote earlier and hope you have not watched the whole thing (not saying the video is bad, just that it;s a talking head and having the ability to search the subtitles on YT would be a quicker way to find the relevant content without going to the video itself)