Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2021, 06:11 PM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,343
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
The AF points themselves in AF.S don't light up, the whole viewfinder does to indicate "in focus".
The manual says the green hexagon is still there for focus confirm, but not showing the active focus point is not acceptable. What do you see when working the joystick?


Steve

04-29-2021, 07:02 PM   #32
Pentaxian
Kobie's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Bowmanville
Photos: Albums
Posts: 728
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The manual says the green hexagon is still there for focus confirm, but not showing the active focus point is not acceptable. What do you see when working the joystick?


Steve
When you move the joystick or change any AF mode, the viewfinder lights up only to tell you know you've made a change.
04-29-2021, 07:41 PM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,343
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
When you move the joystick or change any AF mode, the viewfinder lights up only to tell you know you've made a change.
By any chance did you customize your viewfinder display and maybe turn AF points off?

If this was a help-me thread someone would have suggested a factory reset and someone else might have suggested the firmware update v1.01.


Steve
04-29-2021, 07:46 PM   #34
Pentaxian
Kobie's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Bowmanville
Photos: Albums
Posts: 728
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
By any chance did you customize your viewfinder display and maybe turn AF points off?

If this was a help-me thread someone would have suggested a factory reset and someone else might have suggested the firmware update v1.01.


Steve
The only viewfinder AF light related option is "viewfinder light>auto>on>off".
I'm not the only one, EVERY person with a K-3 III has the same experience.
It works fine in AF.S, it's only AF.C where it doesn't work and no matter which AF mode you pick, the AF points themselves do not light up. In AF.S (just like the K-1/II) the viewfinder briefly lights up when focus is confirmed which will also illuminate the AF point overlay.
All of that vanishes in AF.C.

And yes, I reset, did the new firmware. I've confirmed that this is just how the camera is after asking others to check theirs.

04-29-2021, 07:53 PM - 1 Like   #35
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,343
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
I'm not the only one, EVERY person with a K-3 III has the same experience.
Sorry...I didn't see the poll.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
It works fine in AF.S, it's only AF.C where it doesn't work and no matter which AF mode you pick, the AF points themselves do not light up. In AF.S (just like the K-1/II) the viewfinder
OK...that makes more sense. I believe misread a few of the comments.

You would at least think they would give you an indicator indicating tracking, if not the actual point.


Steve
04-29-2021, 07:57 PM   #36
Pentaxian
Kobie's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Bowmanville
Photos: Albums
Posts: 728
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Sorry...I didn't see the poll.



OK...that makes more sense. I believe misread a few of the comments.

You would at least think they would give you an indicator indicating tracking, if not the actual point.


Steve
Well, technically they do. Thin black squares which doesn't help when shooting a dark subject or in dark environments. You can't make out the AF point locations so you loose what's happening with the tracking.

---------- Post added 04-29-21 at 11:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Sorry...I didn't see the poll.



OK...that makes more sense. I believe misread a few of the comments.

You would at least think they would give you an indicator indicating tracking, if not the actual point.


Steve
Here is what I'm talking about.
First is AF.C, then I switch to AF.S.

Last edited by Kobie; 04-29-2021 at 08:10 PM.
04-29-2021, 10:21 PM   #37
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Washington State
Posts: 574
Not A Number explains how this works pretty good here:
Initial Reaction: K-3 III - Page 9 - PentaxForums.com

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
.. I shoot a lot of birds in flight and I find when you're out on the wilderness surrounded by trees as the background, you just can't see the AF points so you really have no clue what the camera focused on. Was it the bird, or the tree, or the branches of the tree next to the bird? ..
I think the solution is to let the user flash the viewer light to check the focus point with one of the buttons.
04-30-2021, 12:25 AM - 1 Like   #38
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 142
or just have a toggle in the settings to keep it on/off/on-demand via button as Tesla said above - either way seems just a software fix

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, af.c, aps-c, comments, dslr, firmware update v1.01, focus, indicator, k-3 iii, k-3 mark 3, k-3iii firmware, light, poll, sense, steve, viewfinder
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
k1000 light meter is effected by light entering the viewfinder pixmeister Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 16 10-11-2020 03:40 PM
Changing aperture doesn't darken viewfinder image? Moropo Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 11 12-01-2014 02:38 PM
Viewfinder doesn't match final image Tomzee93 Pentax K-5 & K-5 II 4 06-11-2011 12:15 AM
viewfinder doesn't match image - confused MollyM Pentax DSLR Discussion 14 10-12-2009 07:30 AM
Viewfinder doesn't show the full picture?? Peter Zack Pentax DSLR Discussion 15 11-30-2007 08:55 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:31 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top