Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
04-27-2021, 03:51 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Viewfinder light doesn't light

Anyone else having this issue?
I've enabled the viewfinder light but when focus is acquired, it doesn't light up.
When I change the AF settings using the S.Fn/3rd wheel it will light when the mode is changed.
I can't find anywhere in the options to get the viewfinder to light up when focus is nailed. Seeing as the AF points themselves don't light up, this would be nice to get working.

04-27-2021, 07:13 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
maybe it will help
K-3iii Firmware update v1.01 available - PentaxForums.com
04-27-2021, 08:01 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nixxo2002 Quote
Just firing up my laptop to install it.
Thanks for the heads up!
04-27-2021, 08:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

any time

04-27-2021, 08:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
Anyone else having this issue?
I've enabled the viewfinder light but when focus is acquired, it doesn't light up.
When I change the AF settings using the S.Fn/3rd wheel it will light when the mode is changed.
I can't find anywhere in the options to get the viewfinder to light up when focus is nailed. Seeing as the AF points themselves don't light up, this would be nice to get working.
They don't appear to light in AFC which makes some sense as once you have focus they track. Try AFS and see if they light then
04-27-2021, 08:51 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It fixed the exposure compensation issue.

---------- Post added 04-27-21 at 11:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Painter Quote
They don't appear to light in AFC which makes some sense as once you have focus they track. Try AFS and see if they light then
Okay, got it. It works in AF.S but since the AF points don't light up when you're shooting AF.C say tracking birds on a dark background through trees, you can't even see where the focus points are. But, thinking of people who are light flash sensitive, I guess it does make sense to not have the viewfinder constantly flashing.
04-27-2021, 09:01 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It fixed the exposure compensation issue.

---------- Post added 04-27-21 at 11:54 PM ----------

Okay, got it. It works in AF.S but since the AF points don't light up when you're shooting AF.C say tracking birds on a dark background through trees, you can't even see where the focus points are. But, thinking of people who are light flash sensitive, I guess it does make sense to not have the viewfinder constantly flashing.
should they ( AF Points ) has option to change colors white , grey , and black on A.F.C mode ???

04-27-2021, 10:39 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
should they ( AF Points ) has option to change colors white , grey , and black on A.F.C mode ???
I didn't see an option for that. But there's so much to the new menu, it's possible I just haven't found the option.
04-27-2021, 11:48 PM - 1 Like   #9

:/ I'd think getting the active point to light up in AF-C is a no-brainer, kind of like Eye-AF frame
04-28-2021, 07:33 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chriswill Quote
:/ I'd think getting the active point to light up in AF-C is a no-brainer, kind of like Eye-AF frame
Ya, not sure what the reason was to not have this. Even on the K-3/II it worked well to show where the points of focus were.
04-28-2021, 09:32 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Ya, not sure what the reason was to not have this. Even on the K-3/II it worked well to show where the points of focus were.
There's a new promo video released by CR Kennedy on YT where the viewfinder shows the red focus boxes lighting up as the camera is tracking a dog running. Isn't that how it works? I would think you could turn that on and off somehow.

It's at 2:43

Really odd that there's a demo video that shows it doing that but it doesn't seem to do that in the production models. Even Pentax Tips tracking video shows grey boxes. Very confusing.
04-28-2021, 09:49 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
Really odd that there's a demo video that shows it doing that but it doesn't seem to do that in the production models. Even Pentax Tips tracking video shows grey boxes. Very confusing.
It is strange. They obliviously know the black focus point is hard to see, so they turned it red for the demo, yet don't allow their users to do this.
04-28-2021, 10:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
Some of the other places they've used that clip have fine print at the bottom of the video that points out that the actual boxes are black. I suspect that they had some beta testers try out both ways and they found that giant banks of blinking red boxes were not working well for most.
04-28-2021, 10:38 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
Some of the other places they've used that clip have fine print at the bottom of the video that points out that the actual boxes are black. I suspect that they had some beta testers try out both ways and they found that giant banks of blinking red boxes were not working well for most.
I wonder why it couldn't be an option?
04-28-2021, 12:28 PM - 3 Likes   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
I wonder why it couldn't be an option?
It really is odd. I think there may be a few things they are still working on, but wanted to get the camera out without any more delays. Which was the right decision. The firmware 1.01 or whatever it is in the first month after launch may be a clue. I suspect we will get more feature refinements added as we go along. (I hope.)