Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
I wonder why it couldn't be an option?
^ This.
I like the red points in my K5IIs.

04-29-2021, 12:14 AM   #17
Forum Member

Isn't it a limitation of this kind of transparent LCD overlay? How does it work in the K1 for instance? I thought the K1 only had black boxes also. If that is correct, I would not expect more (unfortunately perhaps).
04-29-2021, 02:40 AM   #18
Forum Member

Can anybody make a picture through the viewfinder so show the effect of the constant lit elemts and the grey and white changed overlay?
I can't believe that you can manipulate a LCD to turn white and grey ...
If there is no really change in the mentioned problem (especially in AFC) then I think the better AF is (for my person) not really usefull: when I can see what happen during tracking...

Last edited by licht96; 04-29-2021 at 09:46 AM.
04-29-2021, 07:47 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
There's a new promo video released by CR Kennedy on YT where the viewfinder shows the red focus boxes lighting up as the camera is tracking a dog running. Isn't that how it works? I would think you could turn that on and off somehow.

PENTAX K-3 Mark III | Product Overview - YouTube

It's at 2:43

Really odd that there's a demo video that shows it doing that but it doesn't seem to do that in the production models. Even Pentax Tips tracking video shows grey boxes. Very confusing.
I think there's a couple of things missing from the initial batch of cameras, even tho the intent to include them is obvious. Another reason to look forward to 1.1x. The point releases in between are likely bug squashers as much as anything.

04-29-2021, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I think there's a couple of things missing from the initial batch of cameras, even tho the intent to include them is obvious. Another reason to look forward to 1.1x. The point releases in between are likely bug squashers as much as anything.
I agree. They were up against it and had already had too many delays. I think they made the right decision. They got it to a point where it was releasable and now will add and fix things in firmware. Like you say 1.1x will be interesting.

(Maybe they learned that from Fuji! It's normal for them. )
04-29-2021, 10:38 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by licht96 Quote
Can anybody make a picture through the viewfinder so show the effect of the constant lit elemts and the grey and white changed overlay?
I can't believe that you can manipulate a LCD to turn white and grey ...
If there is no really change in the mentioned problem (especially in AFC) then I think the better AF is (for my person) not really usefull: when I can see what happen during tracking...
You can't change the overlay color. It's black, that's all. The AF points are also black. The AF points themselves in AF.S don't light up, the whole viewfinder does to indicate "in focus". But once you switch to AF.C, the viewfinder doesn't light up, nor do the AF points.
04-29-2021, 01:07 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
You can't change the overlay color. It's black, that's all. The AF points are also black. The AF points themselves in AF.S don't light up, the whole viewfinder does to indicate "in focus". But once you switch to AF.C, the viewfinder doesn't light up, nor do the AF points.
That is the way it is. So is it possible to change with firmware or does the overlay not support it at all? The demo could have been simulated.

04-29-2021, 01:14 PM   #23
Forum Member

Hm... I am really speachless.
Only the frames and additional Infos and the viewfinder "itself" light up?
I thought it's more or less a transparent display with some LEDs at the sides, so the LCD reacts as a flat light guide and the black things are more or less the "defects" of the light guide where the light couples out of the material => Illumination exactly at this "defects". (it looks like this in the K1 Viewfinder Videos).
But when the AF dots doesn't interact with the light, it's useless.
That's really a pitty. I don't need green squares like in the EVF... but a little illuminated points would help.
As you can see in the OVF video of the K3 III with face (eye) detection, you can hardly see the points that are active. And that was a women with pale skin.... what do you see with people with darker skin?

Last edited by licht96; 04-29-2021 at 01:31 PM.
04-29-2021, 01:16 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
That is the way it is. So is it possible to change with firmware or does the overlay not support it at all? The demo could have been simulated.
I don't work for Pentax so I couldn't tell you officially if a color change is possible, I personally don't believe it is possible though without physically changing/replacing the actual overlay screen itself for one that has multiple colors.
In the official Pentax video showing the figure skater and dog, at the bottom right I believe it was, there was a disclaimer that the AF points in the camera are black and the red "light up" points in the video were a simulation (to show where the AF points would be while tracking).
04-29-2021, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
I don't work for Pentax so I couldn't tell you officially if a color change is possible, I personally don't believe it is possible though without physically changing/replacing the actual overlay screen itself for one that has multiple colors.
In the official Pentax video showing the figure skater and dog, at the bottom right I believe it was, there was a disclaimer that the AF points in the camera are black and the red "light up" points in the video were a simulation (to show where the AF points would be while tracking).
my K3III has this issue, i think....the black boxes are a little hard to see, but the focus achieved indication is gone....the black focus box does not get heavier like a K-1....it disappears...
04-29-2021, 02:02 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by licht96 Quote
Hm... I am really speachless.
Only the frames and additional Infos and the viewfinder "itself" light up?
I thought it's more or less a transparent display with some LEDs at the sides, so the LCD reacts as a flat light guide and the black things are more or less the "defects" of the light guide where the light couples out of the material => Illumination exactly at this "defects". (it looks like this in the K1 Viewfinder Videos).
But when the AF dots doesn't interact with the light, it's useless.
That's really a pitty. I don't need green squares like in the EVF... but a little illuminated points would help.
As you can see in the OVF video of the K3 III with face (eye) detection, you can hardly see the points that are active. And that was a women with pale skin.... what do you see with people with darker skin?
It is a pitty! I think the camera will still be useful without seeing the focus points, but it sure would be nice to see them easily.
04-29-2021, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #27
Forum Member

On my side, I was expecting black boxes instead of red. I don't have one, but I mean, it is similar tech to the K1, and the K1 only displays black boxes as far as I am aware. It does display multiple points at the same time though, I wonder if the K3 iii will be able to do the same.

Personally, I don't find the red boxes on my K5 iis all that visible in most situations (outdoors, in nature) to be honest. I am color blind though, and seeing red on green backgrounds has always been an issue for me.
In fact, I might even see the black boxes better than the red ones in most situations.

Either way, I can't wait to find out. Waiting for the postman to show up...
04-29-2021, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm moving from a K-70, where there was lots of flickering and flashing, although with far fewer AF points. I have zero problem with the OVF not flashing red in AF.C, and that's after spending something like six hours shooting baseball in AF.C on Saturday. The tracking is good. Once you learn that it's good and figure out the right settings, you'll be able to trust it and not worry about lots of flashing focus points. Perhaps another reason for not flashing is that I imagine others use AF.C like I do: I push the back focus button so that tracking locks onto my subject, and then when something happens that I actually want to capture, I press and hold the shutter button. I would go absolutely blind if that viewfinder were flashing at me the whole time I am engaging the AF prior to shooting. (Maybe what I do is overkill, but I find it useful in a sport like baseball. I want to focus on the runner at first base, not the first baseman, and the camera might make the wrong decision if I just suddenly mash the AF button and then start firing. I'm new to competent AF, however, so welcome advice that disabuses me of bad habits.)
04-29-2021, 03:20 PM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
I'm moving from a K-70, where there was lots of flickering and flashing, although with far fewer AF points. I have zero problem with the OVF not flashing red in AF.C, and that's after spending something like six hours shooting baseball in AF.C on Saturday. The tracking is good. Once you learn that it's good and figure out the right settings, you'll be able to trust it and not worry about lots of flashing focus points. Perhaps another reason for not flashing is that I imagine others use AF.C like I do: I push the back focus button so that tracking locks onto my subject, and then when something happens that I actually want to capture, I press and hold the shutter button. I would go absolutely blind if that viewfinder were flashing at me the whole time I am engaging the AF prior to shooting. (Maybe what I do is overkill, but I find it useful in a sport like baseball. I want to focus on the runner at first base, not the first baseman, and the camera might make the wrong decision if I just suddenly mash the AF button and then start firing. I'm new to competent AF, however, so welcome advice that disabuses me of bad habits.)
You do bring up a good point regarding the illumination being on constantly or flashing repeatedly while tracking for an extended period of time.
I shoot a lot of birds in flight and I find when you're out on the wilderness surrounded by trees as the background, you just can't see the AF points so you really have no clue what the camera focused on. Was it the bird, or the tree, or the branches of the tree next to the bird? It'll take some extra time to continue learning the camera and the new AF system. Perhaps instead of relying on the AI, I should just switch back to single so at least I know exactly where that AF point is lol.
04-29-2021, 03:30 PM   #30

I have not got my K-3 iii yet but just thinking for the issue mentioned, can we report to Pentax officially and request to rectify the problem in the coming firmware update ?