Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2021, 12:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What about the D-BG8 battery grip for the K-3 III?

Any impressions specifically related to the battery grip?

How does it feel compared to the camera's grip? I always found the grip to be slightly too different on previous models? Same here?

Are the buttons well spaced? How is its size? On previous models the grip has been getting larger, and that made some buttons on the body harder to reach.

What about the strap attachment? I only noticed that the grip had this when watching a Japanese unboxing. Most pictures show the other side. It would be a perfect attachment point to avoid a strap getting in the way when holding the camera in portrait orientation. Something I've struggled with before.

Any other points?

tx, Wim

04-29-2021, 03:10 PM   #2
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The grip strap attachment is similar to the one on the K1 grip - perfect for a hand strap
04-29-2021, 03:54 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey if anyone doesn’t like their silver grip I will gladly take it off your hands…

JJ
04-29-2021, 04:18 PM   #4
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
Hey if anyone doesn’t like their silver grip I will gladly take it off your hands…

JJ
Lots of luck with that

04-29-2021, 04:31 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Lots of luck with that
Doesn’t hurt to try…

JJ
04-29-2021, 11:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
The grip strap attachment is similar to the one on the K1 grip - perfect for a hand strap
Tx, I didn't know that. I never saw the K-1's grip. Actually, I only ever owned APS-C flagships, though I had the grip for every one starting with the K10D. None of these had that attachment. I like it!

---------- Post added 30-04-21 at 09:03 ----------

JJ
I'll keep it in mind if ever I decide to sell mine. Though there a bigger chance of my selling the leather strap... interested?

Caveat: That is assuming my pre-order for the silver premium kit will one day be fulfilled. With the limited availability and the many people that already are getting theirs, I'm preparing mentally for the mail telling me they had too many orders and mine didn't win the lottery despite being early. I'll get the silver body only then, and will be competing with you in the quest for an elusive silver grip...

Wim

Last edited by Ishpuini; 04-30-2021 at 12:04 AM.
04-30-2021, 04:34 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Tx, I didn't know that. I never saw the K-1's grip. Actually, I only ever owned APS-C flagships, though I had the grip for every one starting with the K10D. None of these had that attachment. I like it!

---------- Post added 30-04-21 at 09:03 ----------

I'll keep it in mind if ever I decide to sell mine. Though there a bigger chance of my selling the leather strap... interested?

Caveat: That is assuming my pre-order for the silver premium kit will one day be fulfilled. With the limited availability and the many people that already are getting theirs, I'm preparing mentally for the mail telling me they had too many orders and mine didn't win the lottery despite being early. I'll get the silver body only then, and will be competing with you in the quest for an elusive silver grip...

Wim
No I think I would have more issues with the writing on the strap than a black grip on a silver body….But in all seriousness I know it’s a marketing tool but only offering a matched grip as a promotional bundle makes no sense. Especially since they are committed to silver lenses and bodies….Now that they see there is a demand…
If you do end up with a body only then we shall form a support group….

JJ

05-01-2021, 02:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No I think I would have more issues with the writing on the strap than a black grip on a silver body….But in all seriousness I know it’s a marketing tool but only offering a matched grip as a promotional bundle makes no sense. Especially since they are committed to silver lenses and bodies….Now that they see there is a demand…
True. It made sense in the day when silver body kits were a special item, only available in limited quantities much after the actual release. But it doesn't if the silver bodies (and lenses) are a standard choice from the start. Perhaps they will change their minds when they see how many go for the silver choice? After all the limited lenses were limited once as well...

If you do end up with a body only then we shall form a support group….
LOL, agreed, we'll do that.

Wim
08-29-2021, 08:02 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Any impressions specifically related to the battery grip?

How does it feel compared to the camera's grip? I always found the grip to be slightly too different on previous models? Same here?

Are the buttons well spaced? How is its size? On previous models the grip has been getting larger, and that made some buttons on the body harder to reach.

What about the strap attachment? I only noticed that the grip had this when watching a Japanese unboxing. Most pictures show the other side. It would be a perfect attachment point to avoid a strap getting in the way when holding the camera in portrait orientation. Something I've struggled with before.

Any other points?

tx, Wim
I just received mine and it’s as compact and well designed as I could hope for but unlike the K5 battery grip does not accept AA batteries but only the Pentax battery.
08-29-2021, 08:27 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

feels just like any of the others with battery grip.

Doesnt feel any much different, really.

And in actual use, feels just like the others
(By "others", i mean batt grips for KP, K-1)
08-29-2021, 11:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for bringing this thread back to my attention. In the mean time I have had my K-3 III for almost 2 months, with the grip. I'm actually using the grip more often than on previous bodies. The main reason is the strap attachment, which is so practical for shooting in portrait orientation. Ever time I take it off to save some space, I realise how annoyingly the strap dangles in front of the OVF when it's attached to its "normal" attachment point on the body. It's a relief to be able to attach the grip every time.