Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2021, 12:09 PM   #1

K1 vs K3-III choice

So I have a K1 and am very keen to have a K3-iii based on the reviews so far. Why change? Well, I love the K1 for the big viewfinder, but would love apc for the reach to photograph birds with my 150-450.

I love the DR and ability to crop using the K1.

So, what will I miss upgrading to the K3-iii?

04-29-2021, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Timd Quote
So I have a K1 and am very keen to have a K3-iii based on the reviews so far. Why change? Well, I love the K1 for the big viewfinder, but would love apc for the reach to photograph birds with my 150-450.

miss ???

are you getting rid of the K 1 ?

if not, you just have to choose which to use when

that is what I do
04-29-2021, 12:21 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Just from the top of my head... 36 MP, Astrotracer built in, flip screen...

Last edited by Tjompen1968; 04-29-2021 at 02:50 PM.
04-29-2021, 12:35 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
miss ???

that is what I do
Well, selling the K1 will fund the K3-iii, but also I travel lightly, so can’t see myself carrying 2 cameras.

04-29-2021, 12:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
miss ???

that is what I do
I now have both (thanks to ups) I was using a K1MKii and K5iis upgraded my APS-C and was gonna pass the K5iis down to my daughter but her mother got her a Nikon to learn with so the K5iis might get sent off for an IR conversion who knows… I’d keep both if I was you and put some long glass on the K3iii and a nice prime on the K1…Obviously depends on your type of shooting…

JJ
04-29-2021, 02:08 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Shooting full frame and aps-c are two categories. As you said, if you shoot with a 150-450 for super telephoto, the K-3 III on it will bring you the original distancing of an aps-c camera. On the other hand, if you shoot with the full frame camera, it would not be oriented to shoot in the same manner, and may be more valuable for other than super telephoto shooting. At a later time, if a newer Pentax full frame model appears on the market, or if you want to get the K-1 II, those options may also be available.

Good luck.
04-29-2021, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You said "upgrade" to the K3iii.

This implies it will be better.

What is it you think you will get from the K3iii?

That is a question you need to ask yourself... what are you missing now and will you find it on the K3iii...

04-29-2021, 02:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Quote
You said "upgrade" to the K3iii.

This implies it will be better.

What is it you think you will get from the K3iii?

That is a question you need to ask yourself... what are you missing now and will you find it on the K3iii...
Is that for the OP? I referred to upgrade in reference to my K5iis…

JJ
04-29-2021, 05:49 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Yes, you'll get 40 percent more reach, higher frame rate, better buffer clearing, and BiF becomes easier with the new autofocus.

You will lose 36Mp of big, beautiful pixels (and for my own style, I try to do birding as portrait photography), but they're not bad compensations!
04-29-2021, 07:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member

For birding the K3-iii is likely a better choice. For many other kinds of photography it's not so clear. Depending on your current lenses you might need to look at some additional lenses on the wide end.

Otherwise you lose the built-in GPS, flippy screen, and a few megapixels when you aren't shooting long telephotos. I've heard the viewfinder on the K3-iii is quite large for APS-C, but I haven't looked through it.
04-29-2021, 10:49 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
Is that for the OP? I referred to upgrade in reference to my K5iis…

JJ
Yes, sorry it was meant for the OP! It was a long day and I was tired. Apologies for the poor penmanship.
04-30-2021, 03:29 PM   #12

Keep the K1 it is a beast all in its own class with a wonderful dynamic range.
The K3iii--oh such a sweet, smooth, fast and silent shutter with that same wonderful OVF of the K1 !!!
04-30-2021, 05:26 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, selling the K1 will fund the K3-iii, but also I travel lightly, so can’t see myself carrying 2 cameras.
I don't think I'd sell my K1 just to fund a K3 III. Both formats are useful to me, and yes I do carry both to most planned photo ops. Love the K1 and love the K3 III as well. For that matter I love the K-70 for the results it delivers.

I suppose if I was forced to make a choice between keeping only one it would be the K3 III because it's a better all-arounder for the subjects that interest me which tend to be live and moving. I'm not a serious landscape guy but not opposed to it either when the scene strikes.

But I'd seriously miss it for the portraiture. My FA85 doesn't play as well with my APS-C's
04-30-2021, 06:04 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Quote
Yes, sorry it was meant for the OP! It was a long day and I was tired. Apologies for the poor penmanship.
No worries just wanted to make sure I didn’t stick my foot in my mouth…
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I don't think I'd sell my K1 just to fund a K3 III. Both formats are useful to me, and yes I do carry both to most planned photo ops. Love the K1 and love the K3 III as well. For that matter I love the K-70 for the results it delivers.

I suppose if I was forced to make a choice between keeping only one it would be the K3 III because it's a better all-arounder for the subjects that interest me which tend to be live and moving. I'm not a serious landscape guy but not opposed to it either when the scene strikes.

But I'd seriously miss it for the portraiture. My FA85 doesn't play as well with my APS-C's
Hey I’ll be happy to take the FA85 off your hands to keep the peace….

JJ