Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2021, 03:36 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Slightly off topic, from someone who doesn't own/use a "smart" 'phone … can one use a smart-phone as a wi-fi device without having a SIM card in it, or is the one irrevocably linked with the other and the ongoing expense?
Absolutely. My son did that for several months this past year, using it for calls and texts and browsing whenever on a wifi network, no SIM whatsoever in the phone.

04-30-2021, 07:19 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Someone should invent, if not already done, a hot shoe mounted phone holder.
04-30-2021, 07:48 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reytor Quote
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1579536-REG/tilta_ta_pmb_b_tiltaing_a...981&

BTW, I have this one on order. Sold out at B&H but in-stock at Adorama

Last edited by gatorguy; 04-30-2021 at 07:56 AM.
04-30-2021, 07:49 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reytor Quote
They exist.
amazon.com : ST-06 Camera Hot Shoe Phone Tripod Mount Adapter 360 Rotation Phone Holder with Cold Shoe for Mic Light Stand Compatible with Canon Nikon Sony DSLR for DJI Ronin SC Gimbal Stabilizer : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

04-30-2021, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Definitely more value-priced than the Tilta. There's plenty of options at several price points.
04-30-2021, 08:12 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I did portrait shoot yesterday. Well she needed photo asap. Took my K-1, and shots, and made them smaller in camera to send quick to my phone. It was less than 5 minutes after photoshoot that I did all this and last got her photos she needed. No hick up from image sync. This was my K-1 original. This K-3III has even better connections. This should be quite good replacement for flippy screen. And time to timeeven better than that.
04-30-2021, 09:28 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
All you need is a phone that has wifi to transfer images/control the camera and have a live view screen. The phone doesn't need to be "activated" on a wireless carrier. For bluetooth, it's the same thing. All you need is the phone, nothing else.
Excellent, thank you
I'll check out the local "for sale" groups and see what I can find cheap

---------- Post added 04-30-21 at 09:29 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Absolutely. My son did that for several months this past year, using it for calls and texts and browsing whenever on a wifi network, no SIM whatsoever in the phone.
Thanks for the confirmation … I'll just have to make sure the app will run on any old phone I find and I can take it from there

---------- Post added 04-30-21 at 09:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
That's actually the best setup.

A lot of phones will try to break the wifi setting to the camera and switch to cell data to maintain an Internet connection.
Thanks … I'll be checking it out

---------- Post added 04-30-21 at 09:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I don't think the Image Sync app cares if you have a sim card. You could buy a quite old phone, not connect it to service, and use it freely. You'd need to download the app while on wifi at home, and then you should be able easily to use image sync from that no-service phone.
Thanks for the detail … I'll just need to make sure the o/s on the phone will run the app
I do have wi-fi at home … not that it's activated … but I'll switch it on especially for the occasion

04-30-2021, 09:44 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
That's actually the best setup.

A lot of phones will try to break the wifi setting to the camera and switch to cell data to maintain an Internet connection.
Thanks … I'll be checking it out
That can be very important because on Android at least, an incoming phone call will pause running apps and take precedence. That's a common complaint among say chatting Whatsapp users who get unceremoniously and without warning suspended due to a phone call incoming at either end. You have to end the phone call to get back in, and I suspect that it applies to all running apps.

Using an old phone with no sim card as a dedicated control may indeed be the best solution.
04-30-2021, 12:03 PM   #24
Pentaxian

I own an old Iphone 6, no current service on that phone, running IOS 12.5.1. I just downloaded Image sync onto it and confirmed it works with my K70. You should have lots of options at least that new.
04-30-2021, 01:13 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
can one use a smart-phone as a wi-fi device
Two added benefits of having an out of service smart phone are:
GPS will work, allowing location data to work with your K3/3
You can still use the phone to call 911 if the need arises (need a sim card, but not a service plan).
04-30-2021, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
Two added benefits of having an out of service smart phone are:
GPS will work, allowing location data to work with your K3/3
You can still use the phone to call 911 if the need arises (need a sim card, but not a service plan).
Interesting to hear about the location data … might be useful, certainly less bulky than my O-GPS1
I do have a "911 phone", a real relic, has buttons, an external antenna, and an on/off switch, so the battery stays charged for weeks on end
04-30-2021, 05:22 PM   #27
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don’t use too old of a cell phone. 3G networks are being shut down within the next year to free up bandwidth for 4G and 5G expansions, May or may not impact gps reception but will limit other uses.
05-04-2021, 12:36 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I own an old Iphone 6, no current service on that phone, running IOS 12.5.1. I just downloaded Image sync onto it and confirmed it works with my K70. You should have lots of options at least that new.
how did you get image sync on the phone without a sim card?
05-04-2021, 02:35 AM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rlmartindale Quote
how did you get image sync on the phone without a sim card?
You just connect the phone to wifi and download it from there, not? The sim card is only about connecting to cell phone towers. Without it it acts like a ipod or small tablet and only connects to the internet when there is wifi handy.
05-04-2021, 04:27 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rondec Quote
you just connect the phone to wifi and download it from there, not? The sim card is only about connecting to cell phone towers. Without it it acts like a ipod or small tablet and only connects to the internet when there is wifi handy.
got it, thx