Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
04-29-2021, 01:05 PM   #1

Image Sync as a K3.3 Flippy Screen alternative for landscapes, any thoughts?

I have a K3.3 on pre-order (since All Fool's Day!) and while I wait impatiently for it to arrive I've been searching for informed comments on how it should perform. Although I intend mainly to use the camera for kids, sports and birds I think it could be great for low-light landscapes. But, then I would sometimes miss my K1's Flippy Screen. So why not just use my smart phone as that Flippy Screen via Image Sync? I know it's not perfect, but it does work, esp. for just composing and taking shots. Please let us know what you think.

04-29-2021, 01:40 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reallybothered Quote
I have a K3.3 on pre-order (since All Fool's Day!) and while I wait impatiently for it to arrive I've been searching for informed comments on how it should perform. Although I intend mainly to use the camera for kids, sports and birds I think it could be great for low-light landscapes. But, then I would sometimes miss my K1's Flippy Screen. So why not just use my smart phone as that Flippy Screen via Image Sync? I know it's not perfect, but it does work, esp. for just composing and taking shots. Please let us know what you think.
i think thats a winner and the way of the future...eliminate the weight and complexity of a limited range screen and use an app to put the camera in just about any position you want to...
04-29-2021, 02:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I already frequently preferred to use Image Sync over the flippy screen on my K-70. It's quite effective for setting up odd angle shots or being able to stand away from the camera on a tripod so it's perfectly stable.
04-29-2021, 02:58 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Slightly off topic, from someone who doesn't own/use a "smart" 'phone … can one use a smart-phone as a wi-fi device without having a SIM card in it, or is the one irrevocably linked with the other and the ongoing expense?
I've got a wi-fi enabled WIndows lap-top that works with the associated available free-ware and my KP or K-70, though I've not tried it (yet) with the K-3iii, but it's a bit bulky to be using as a "field accessory".

04-29-2021, 03:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I've taken my iPhone abroad and left it in airplane mode but turned on Wifi several times before. I imagine you could buy an Android phone with a prepaid SIM just to activate the phone and then turn off the cellular antenna and always use the thing in wifi mode. You might also just look into a rather small tablet-type device without mobile data support.
04-29-2021, 03:26 PM - 4 Likes   #6
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's awkward. Fine for pre-planned meditative tripod stuff but for everything else by the time you've got your phone out your pocket, activated WiFi, made the connection, re-booted the phone because it didn't connect, waited for the lag to subside, flicked through the settings and changed them from where you left it last time, manoeuvred the camera and lined up the movement with the app, realised you' were holding the camera wrong to reach the shutter button, put the phone down to press the shutter and then watched it fall over so you couldn't see the screen, sorted that out and then realised the camera had turned itself off and disconnected the wifi, I think you'd have booted the whole lot down the freakin road.
04-29-2021, 03:26 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I often shoot interiors with my K-1 and often when I have to push the camera to a wall, not even the articulating screen can help and i use image sync app to get the right shots. it is very helpful and reliable. I think The K3iii might have even faster performance on that.

04-29-2021, 05:40 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Correct. Everyone has a phone in 2021, that's the assumption.

And you can put the camera down on the ground even and remain standing while you do your picture taking. You or somebody else can hold the camera up on a monopod to go over a crowd or over the top of a fence. Or you can sit in your car while the sun sets on a chilly evening.

There's also less need for inbuilt GPS because Image Sync will give the camera the coordinates.

There are still use cases for the flippy screen, the K-1 or K-70 have those, the K-3 series never have.

The next APS-C release (perhaps not a flagship, but instead to replace the KP or K-70) I suspect will have a flippy screen.
04-29-2021, 07:23 PM - 1 Like   #9
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Correct. Everyone has a phone in 2021, that's the assumption.

And you can put the camera down on the ground even and remain standing while you do your picture taking. You or somebody else can hold the camera up on a monopod to go over a crowd or over the top of a fence. Or you can sit in your car while the sun sets on a chilly evening.

There's also less need for inbuilt GPS because Image Sync will give the camera the coordinates.

There are still use cases for the flippy screen, the K-1 or K-70 have those, the K-3 series never have.

The next APS-C release (perhaps not a flagship, but instead to replace the KP or K-70) I suspect will have a flippy screen.
Kind of agree that the next apsc released will be a second tier machine ala KP or K70 with a flippy screen, but will it come before the K1iii?
04-29-2021, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Slightly off topic, from someone who doesn't own/use a "smart" 'phone … can one use a smart-phone as a wi-fi device without having a SIM card in it, or is the one irrevocably linked with the other and the ongoing expense?
I've got a wi-fi enabled WIndows lap-top that works with the associated available free-ware and my KP or K-70, though I've not tried it (yet) with the K-3iii, but it's a bit bulky to be using as a "field accessory".
All you need is a phone that has wifi to transfer images/control the camera and have a live view screen. The phone doesn't need to be "activated" on a wireless carrier. For bluetooth, it's the same thing. All you need is the phone, nothing else.
04-29-2021, 08:56 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I don't think the Image Sync app cares if you have a sim card. You could buy a quite old phone, not connect it to service, and use it freely. You'd need to download the app while on wifi at home, and then you should be able easily to use image sync from that no-service phone.
04-29-2021, 09:06 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Kind of agree that the next apsc released will be a second tier machine ala KP or K70 with a flippy screen, but will it come before the K1iii?
The decision and its timing will have little to do with engineering, it will have to do with finance and the state of the camera market. Cash will have to be earned on existing releases before work is done on any successors - almost self finance - since investing banks and parent companies simply won't give/loan large amounts to a declining sector like cameras.
04-29-2021, 09:08 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Slightly off topic, from someone who doesn't own/use a "smart" 'phone … can one use a smart-phone as a wi-fi device without having a SIM card in it
That's actually the best setup.

A lot of phones will try to break the wifi setting to the camera and switch to cell data to maintain an Internet connection.
04-29-2021, 09:11 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Image Sync is great and has its place but it's an over elaborate solution if you just want to quickly tilt the screen while you shoot something at waist level for example.
Same issue regarding remote shutter release, yes I can do it from my phone, but the IR remote is far more elegant and simple solution in most cases.

But that said all the other Pentax models have a movable screen so I have no issue with the K3ii being fixed screen.
And Image Sync does open some more powerful use cases like those mentioned above.
04-30-2021, 02:49 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
Image Sync is great and has its place but it's an over elaborate solution if you just want to quickly tilt the screen while you shoot something at waist level for example.
Same issue regarding remote shutter release, yes I can do it from my phone, but the IR remote is far more elegant and simple solution in most cases.

But that said all the other Pentax models have a movable screen so I have no issue with the K3ii being fixed screen.
And Image Sync does open some more powerful use cases like those mentioned above.
You are right. A screen that moves is useful in many situations. I do think Image Sync takes care of some of those. I don't do a lot of photography holding my camera above my head or at my waist level. My main use for flippy screen is on a tripod -- usually low to the ground and I think image sync would be a decent substitute.

As far as the "I don't own a smart phone" crowd. Others have mentioned it, but there are plenty of cheap tablets and used phones out there that could be gotten quite cheaply and never have a sim card installed and they would work fine for this purpose.