Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2021, 07:49 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Correct. I was at home, connected to wifi, just downloaded the app and used it. Works great.

05-04-2021, 04:18 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rlmartindale Quote
Like it says, Image Sync fires two shots on the KP and K3III but one on the GRIII....any thoughts on this?

The cameras have to be set to single shot so that can't be it.....

Adding drive setting so we can change this on the app should be a priority for the next iteration of Image Sync.

....IMage Sync does not seem to be working on the K-1 even though the camera WiFi is connected...thoughts on this?
Hmmm. I just tried Image Sync with my KP. My KP was initially set up to shoot a 3-shot bracket, and when Image Sync fired the shutter, it correctly shot a 3-shot bracket.

I then changed - in Image Sync's setting tool (the gear) - the drive mode to 'Single Frame Shooting', and fired off another shot. The KP fired off a single frame.

Because Image Sync puts the camera into Live View mode in order to show the image on the phone, *I think* that every time you take a picture, the shutter has to close, then fire to take the picture, and then re-open again. The mirror might also be moving during this time. What I'm saying is that the camera is making more noise than it does normally, but when I review the shots actually taken, the right number of images are recorded.

In any case, Image Sync appears to be working correctly for me with my KP. My phone is a recent Android phone and is on the current version of Android. My phone, KP and the Image Sync app on my phone are current with all updates.

Last edited by wm_brant; 05-04-2021 at 04:30 PM.
05-04-2021, 05:31 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wm_brant Quote
Hmmm. I just tried Image Sync with my KP. My KP was initially set up to shoot a 3-shot bracket, and when Image Sync fired the shutter, it correctly shot a 3-shot bracket.

I then changed - in Image Sync's setting tool (the gear) - the drive mode to 'Single Frame Shooting', and fired off another shot. The KP fired off a single frame.

Because Image Sync puts the camera into Live View mode in order to show the image on the phone, *I think* that every time you take a picture, the shutter has to close, then fire to take the picture, and then re-open again. The mirror might also be moving during this time. What I'm saying is that the camera is making more noise than it does normally, but when I review the shots actually taken, the right number of images are recorded.

In any case, Image Sync appears to be working correctly for me with my KP. My phone is a recent Android phone and is on the current version of Android. My phone, KP and the Image Sync app on my phone are current with all updates.
thank you....yes, after making sure the phones were all updated, and the latest version of Image Sync installed and the phones rebooted (this helped)....the single shot did return (or i got better at detecting them...like you mentioned...there are more sounds than usual) and the drive mode change did work on the KP...now I am trying to see what, if any, options are there to change the drive in other cameras...

K-1 has no options to change the drive mode or self timer....
GRIII has an option for self timer but no drive options...
K3III has self timer and remote control but no drive options....

It is weird to have the complete options for drive mode only on the KP and NOT on the "flagship" models, the K3IIII and the K-1....the GRIII is another story, but there again, the camera has options for drive mode the App does not display
05-04-2021, 05:50 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rlmartindale Quote
thank you....yes, after making sure the phones were all updated, and the latest version of Image Sync installed and the phones rebooted (this helped)....the single shot did return (or i got better at detecting them...like you mentioned...there are more sounds than usual) and the drive mode change did work on the KP...now I am trying to see what, if any, options are there to change the drive in other cameras...

K-1 has no options to change the drive mode or self timer....
GRIII has an option for self timer but no drive options...
K3III has self timer and remote control but no drive options....

It is weird to have the complete options for drive mode only on the KP and NOT on the "flagship" models, the K3IIII and the K-1....the GRIII is another story, but there again, the camera has options for drive mode the App does not display
I've not set up my K-1 (original) with Image Sync yet, I'll try that tomorrow and post what I find. I don't have a K-3 I, II, or III so I can't help with that.

And yes, while the K-1 (both versions) are Pentax's flagship models, they are also *older* models, and that's probably the key issue here. And, because the K-3 III is a brand spanking new model it's possible that not all features are working with Image Sync - yet. However, that's mere speculation on my part.

I'll get back to this thread tomorrow with my K-1 experience unless someone else chimes in before me.

05-05-2021, 07:00 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for all the input guys.

Well that's a lot of pretty positive comments on ImageSync. I think I probably need to give it another chance to impress me. I'm also going to drag out one of my old sim-less phones to mount on camera and see how I like the wifi connection. Maybe that would take care of any limited circumstance wants for a flip screen.
05-05-2021, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

To have an Image Sync "look &feel" but with a Windows laptop or tablet you can use this Wifi Commander for Pentax - wireless remote control for your Pentax camera
05-05-2021, 08:50 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok, as promised I set up my K-1 (original version) with Image Sync today. I was able to take pictures without any issues.

However the K-1 has fewer controls available in Image Sync than my KP does. For example, Image Sync prompted me to put the K-1 into single shot mode when I connected to the K-1 from Image Sync (the K-1 had been set to a 3-shot bracket drive mode). I couldn't see a way to shoot a bracket with my K-1 using Image Sync except 'manually' (take multiple shots, changing exposure for each - i.e., like I used to do with my old film Pentax cameras). In addition, I tried setting the K-1 into 2 second delay and Mirror Up modes, and Image Sync refused to work with either - it would shoot only if the K-1 was in Single Exposure mode.

The KP has no problems shooting brackets using Image Sync. I also tried my KP with both 2S delay and mirror up, and Image Sync was able to shoot in both those modes.

I expect that the above difference between my KP and K-1 is due to the relative ages of the cameras. The K-1 is a hair over 5 years old at this point (and after what is rumored to be a long development period), and 5 years is a long time in terms of automation and mobile phone capabilities. The KP is a year or so newer and so I expect that it the reason the KP has a few more remote operation capabilities. I can't speak for the K-3 III, although I would expect it to have even more capabilities for remote operation.

However, I did find Image Sync both useful and something that works well. I think it removes many of the problems I've encountered when shooting at an awkward angles - I can point the camera where it needs to be without having to worry about how I'm going to position myself. Instead, I move where I'm comfortable and look at my phone to see what I'm trying to photograph and fire the shutter when things are right.

05-05-2021, 09:16 AM   #38
Unregistered User

So... I have tested with the K-1 and it is responsive and working good but with limitations to the mode earlier mentioned.

What I wonder is if it is possible to zoom in the Live View on the phone when connected to the K-3III. To be able to manually focus which is what I mostly use the Live View for.

Pressing the INFO button on the phone screen gives slightly larger image... Maybe I should get a iPad-sized thing to use?

Well, my question is if zoom is possible.
05-06-2021, 09:41 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So it seems we are forced to use Image synch, as the corded shutter release option has apparently been eliminated altogether. The simple cable release was always a fast and reliable option for macro and astro (at least when I had a flip screen, that is). A wireless release has always been a little problematic by comparison for me, and Image synch is OK, but requires EXTRA set-up time and fiddling that might cause you to miss a shot. I miss the cable remote.
05-06-2021, 10:06 AM   #40
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
So it seems we are forced to use Image synch, as the corded shutter release option has apparently been eliminated altogether. The simple cable release was always a fast and reliable option for macro and astro (at least when I had a flip screen, that is). A wireless release has always been a little problematic by comparison for me, and Image synch is OK, but requires EXTRA set-up time and fiddling that might cause you to miss a shot. I miss the cable remote.
What do you mean with "as the corded shutter release option has apparently been eliminated altogether."? The cable release contact is where it always has been.
05-06-2021, 10:43 AM   #41

Original Poster
And there is still the IR Remote option if Image Sync is not appropriate.
Still waiting for my order to arrive!
05-06-2021, 11:01 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reallybothered Quote
And there is still the IR Remote option if Image Sync is not appropriate.
Still waiting for my order to arrive!
Pentax lists the CS-205 wired remote as a K3III accessory. I can't vouch for it since I don't have one. I used the Pentax Weatherproof IR remote over the weekend just to make sure it works. It does,

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/k-3-3/accessories/
05-06-2021, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Pentax lists the CS-205 wired remote as a K3III accessory. I can't vouch for it since I don't have one. I used the Pentax Weatherproof IR remote over the weekend just to make sure it works. It does,

Accessories | PENTAX K-3 Mark III | RICOH IMAGING
I have a CS-205. I have not tested it yet, because I also used the IR remote on Saturday. I am pretty confident the CS-205 (and knockoffs) will work just fine.
05-06-2021, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #44
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
I have a CS-205. I have not tested it yet, because I also used the IR remote on Saturday. I am pretty confident the CS-205 (and knockoffs) will work just fine.
After looking at the remote compatibility listing maybe I do have one. Now I'll have to look at home.
05-06-2021, 01:42 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
After looking at the remote compatibility listing maybe I do have one. Now I'll have to look at home.
It's the same cable release as pretty much everything but the K-70 and KP. (Maybe not KP. I know the K-70 required a different cable release to the K-50.)