Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
05-06-2021, 05:17 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
What do you mean with "as the corded shutter release option has apparently been eliminated altogether."? The cable release contact is where it always has been.
QuoteOriginally posted by reallybothered Quote
And there is still the IR Remote option if Image Sync is not appropriate.
Still waiting for my order to arrive!
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Pentax lists the CS-205 wired remote as a K3III accessory. I can't vouch for it since I don't have one. I used the Pentax Weatherproof IR remote over the weekend just to make sure it works. It does,

Accessories | PENTAX K-3 Mark III | RICOH IMAGING
QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
I have a CS-205. I have not tested it yet, because I also used the IR remote on Saturday. I am pretty confident the CS-205 (and knockoffs) will work just fine.
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
After looking at the remote compatibility listing maybe I do have one. Now I'll have to look at home.
It's the same cable release as pretty much everything but the K-70 and KP. (Maybe not KP. I know the K-70 required a different cable release to the K-50.)
Ahh, I see now! Different size.

05-07-2021, 12:32 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wm_brant Quote
Ok, as promised I set up my K-1 (original version) with Image Sync today. I was able to take pictures without any issues.

However the K-1 has fewer controls available in Image Sync than my KP does. For example, Image Sync prompted me to put the K-1 into single shot mode when I connected to the K-1 from Image Sync (the K-1 had been set to a 3-shot bracket drive mode). I couldn't see a way to shoot a bracket with my K-1 using Image Sync except 'manually' (take multiple shots, changing exposure for each - i.e., like I used to do with my old film Pentax cameras). In addition, I tried setting the K-1 into 2 second delay and Mirror Up modes, and Image Sync refused to work with either - it would shoot only if the K-1 was in Single Exposure mode.

The KP has no problems shooting brackets using Image Sync. I also tried my KP with both 2S delay and mirror up, and Image Sync was able to shoot in both those modes.

I expect that the above difference between my KP and K-1 is due to the relative ages of the cameras. The K-1 is a hair over 5 years old at this point (and after what is rumored to be a long development period), and 5 years is a long time in terms of automation and mobile phone capabilities. The KP is a year or so newer and so I expect that it the reason the KP has a few more remote operation capabilities. I can't speak for the K-3 III, although I would expect it to have even more capabilities for remote operation.

However, I did find Image Sync both useful and something that works well. I think it removes many of the problems I've encountered when shooting at an awkward angles - I can point the camera where it needs to be without having to worry about how I'm going to position myself. Instead, I move where I'm comfortable and look at my phone to see what I'm trying to photograph and fire the shutter when things are right.
Wi-Fi Commander for Pentax DSLR has the same limitation with the K-1...no drive mode control...other than that....it works fine....seems like the limitation might be at the camera...not the software, whether it be this WiFi windows app or Image Sync.

The KP has full drive mode control under both apps...

WiFi Commander does not control the GRIII or the K3III (yet) so no tests were able to be done there.

Last edited by rlmartindale; 05-07-2021 at 12:33 AM. Reason: new thought
05-07-2021, 02:29 AM   #48
Pentaxian

yep, drive mode changes it's a feature of the camera and is supported only from KP onwards.

About K3III and Image Sync: can you connect even only via wifi or the bluetooth is mandatory?
05-08-2021, 05:40 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
yep, drive mode changes it's a feature of the camera and is supported only from KP onwards.

About K3III and Image Sync: can you connect even only via wifi or the bluetooth is mandatory?
wi fi alone should work....

05-09-2021, 03:58 AM   #50
Pentaxian

LEYE 4K HDMI ELECTRONIC VIEWFINDER 2.4inch LCD MONITOR

QuoteOriginally posted by reallybothered Quote
I would sometimes miss my K1's Flippy Screen. So why not just use my smart phone as that Flippy Screen via Image Sync?
Please let us know what you think.
You can use an external Display and connect it via HDMI to the camera (kike the LEYE 4K HDMI ELECTRONIC VIEWFINDER 2.4inch LCD MONITOR):
EVF for DSLRs? - PentaxForums.com
05-10-2021, 06:26 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I purchased the FluCard O-FC1 to get remote control of my K-3 II. I think I used it less than a dozen times. It was just too much of a hassle to setup, and I kept forgetting how it worked. I've used ImageSync on my GR III a few times (mostly to transfer in-camera processed RAWs to my phone), so I started it up on my phone as was happy to find the K-3 III included. That's going to be a great improvement on the FluCard at least...

One concern that keeps me from using it too much though, would be the battery life of my phone. But I'm due for a new one anyway (though the wife doesn't know that yet)...
05-10-2021, 06:36 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
One concern that keeps me from using it too much though, would be the battery life of my phone. But I'm due for a new one anyway (though the wife doesn't know that yet)...
I am wondering the same thing. I'm using an iPhone 5s, and its battery is showing its age. I played with the Image Sync app for about 15 minutes, testing the phone as a remote monitor for my K-3 Mark III. IIRC, the battery charge level dropped by about 20%. So, I'll need to test it further.

- Craig

05-10-2021, 06:47 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I am wondering the same thing. I'm using an iPhone 5s, and its battery is showing its age. I played with the Image Sync app for about 15 minutes, testing the phone as a remote monitor for my K-3 Mark III. IIRC, the battery charge level dropped by about 20%. So, I'll need to test it further.

- Craig
Yeah, with that in mind I'll probably only ever use it when I want shots from vantage points that I cannot get to myself, i.e. the kind of stuff that was a lot of trial and error before. But I don't see me using it for comfort with the camera on a tripod of non-ergonomic height.
05-13-2021, 06:35 AM   #54

To have an Image Sync "look &feel" but with a Windows laptop or tablet you can use this Wifi Commander for Pentax - wireless remote control for your Pentax camera
Thank you! I am late to the game. I never even knew I could do this with my K70.
05-13-2021, 08:16 AM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rlmartindale Quote
wi fi alone should work....
should....
07-14-2021, 01:45 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

should....
I was shooting a 645Z the other day and would dearly love to have had the wifi iphone connection for the vertical shots above my head that the 645Z flippy screen was no help at all for, because it only moves up and down, which is sideways in a vertical setup....

.....it would have been easy with a K3III and an iPhone
07-15-2021, 06:34 AM - 1 Like   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
It's awkward. Fine for pre-planned meditative tripod stuff but for everything else by the time you've got your phone out your pocket, activated WiFi, made the connection, re-booted the phone because it didn't connect, waited for the lag to subside, flicked through the settings and changed them from where you left it last time, manoeuvred the camera and lined up the movement with the app, realised you' were holding the camera wrong to reach the shutter button, put the phone down to press the shutter and then watched it fall over so you couldn't see the screen, sorted that out and then realised the camera had turned itself off and disconnected the wifi, I think you'd have booted the whole lot down the freakin road.
My thoughts exactly. The only time I've used ImageSync successfully to shoot with I had the camera on a tripod pointed and pre-focused on a birdbath, while I sat on the deck with a cigar waiting for a bird to show up. What Pentax should do is have a dedicated app that USB connects to the phone and has a movable hot shoe mount.... Kind of an auxiliary screen. I don't need controls on the screen, just a mirror of the main screen. Even better, not a phone app, just a screen I can mount on the hot shoe or bottom tripod hole that has some ability to flip a bit. That's something I'd pay $300 for.

07-15-2021, 08:41 AM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Never once used the rear screen on the K-3III since I got it for focusing or composing landscapes. The viewfinder is so good that isn't necessary. The AF is also spot on for those who use AF for landscapes.....
07-15-2021, 09:51 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
My thoughts exactly. The only time I've used ImageSync successfully to shoot with I had the camera on a tripod pointed and pre-focused on a birdbath, while I sat on the deck with a cigar waiting for a bird to show up. What Pentax should do is have a dedicated app that USB connects to the phone and has a movable hot shoe mount.... Kind of an auxiliary screen. I don't need controls on the screen, just a mirror of the main screen. Even better, not a phone app, just a screen I can mount on the hot shoe or bottom tripod hole that has some ability to flip a bit. That's something I'd pay $300 for.
It sounds like you’re looking for an HDMI field monitor. I spotted a 7” one on B&H for under US$200 just now.
07-15-2021, 10:40 AM - 2 Likes   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It sounds like you’re looking for an HDMI field monitor. I spotted a 7” one on B&H for under US$200 just now.
Cool, every time I have a good idea someone's already done it

I found a 5" at Walmart for $105
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Viltrox-DC-50-HD-Clip-on-LCD-5-Monitor-Portable-W...B&gclsrc=aw.ds