Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2021, 01:54 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tripod adapter?

Just got my K3iii and swapped my arca mount from my K5iis over and even though the screw is tight the mount isnít. Thereís even a pad between the plate and camera for my hand strap. Iím not gonna tighten the screw anymore for fear of stripping the head. Did something change with the design?

JJ

04-29-2021, 02:11 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
Just got my K3iii and swapped my arca mount from my K5iis over and even though the screw is tight the mount isn’t. There’s even a pad between the plate and camera for my hand strap. I’m not gonna tighten the screw anymore for fear of stripping the head. Did something change with the design?

JJ
Maybe the threaded insert in the base of the camera is shallower, causing the screw to bottom out.
04-29-2021, 02:14 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you have a spare 1/4 20 screw laying around measure the depth of the socket in the camera and see if the screw threads all the way in. Check the threads for damage. I think you got a battery grip too. Any problems with that?
04-29-2021, 02:17 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
Maybe the threaded insert in the base of the camera is shallower, causing the screw to bottom out.
Years ago, I (maybe!) "overtightened" the screw securing the camera (Samsung GX10, i.e. a K10D clone) body to the tripod, and it caused the socket in the body to become loose - Samsung then fixed the body by (I assume) fitting a new socket under warrantee.

Thus this could be a similar issue.

04-29-2021, 03:06 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
Years ago, I (maybe!) "overtightened" the screw securing the camera (Samsung GX10, i.e. a K10D clone) body to the tripod, and it caused the socket in the body to become loose - Samsung then fixed the body by (I assume) fitting a new socket under warrantee.

Thus this could be a similar issue.
Itís a brand new cameraÖ

JJ

---------- Post added 04-29-21 at 05:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
If you have a spare 1/4 20 screw laying around measure the depth of the socket in the camera and see if the screw threads all the way in. Check the threads for damage. I think you got a battery grip too. Any problems with that?
No grip (touchy subject)

JJ
04-29-2021, 06:00 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did something change with the design?
The contour of the bottom most certainly changed. If your plate has a lip or similar features to prevent rotation, those may be part of the problem. Likewise, any area that not flat may also be an issue. What plate are you trying to use?

FWIW...I was wondering if the Acratech plate I use with my K-3 would work with the K-3iii. I have my doubts due to changes in the camera bottom.

Steve
04-29-2021, 07:34 PM   #7
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The contour of the bottom most certainly changed. If your plate has a lip or similar features to prevent rotation, those may be part of the problem. Likewise, any area that not flat may also be an issue. What plate are you trying to use?

FWIW...I was wondering if the Acratech plate I use with my K-3 would work with the K-3iii. I have my doubts due to changes in the camera bottom.

Steve
Generic, flat plates should not have any issues. You may need to wait a bit for a plated specific to the K3iii
04-30-2021, 07:24 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here’s the plate…

JJ

Attached Images

04-30-2021, 11:02 AM   #9
Pentaxian

It’s a brand new camera…
JJ
My GX10 was only a few months old when the problem happened - and it never re-appeared after Samsung "fixed" it.

Edited: IIRC, the tripod bush in the camera body was in an "insert" which was fitted into the base - and that insert appeared to have come loose.

I don't know how Samsung "fixed" the problem, but maybe they simply replaced the insert &/or they used high-strength "threadlock" liquid (or even "superglue").

Last edited by jeallen01; 04-30-2021 at 11:12 AM.