Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2021, 12:02 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Uhs ii

Seeing as how the dual card slot support different speeds, anyone gonna mix and match? I’ve had no bottlenecks with UHS I with my other bodies. And I tend to shoot RAW to card one and jpeg to card 2. I would think one would only need the faster speed handling the video...

JJ

04-24-2021, 12:19 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would think a v90 card would clear the buffer faster.
04-24-2021, 07:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
Seeing as how the dual card slot support different speeds, anyone gonna mix and match? I’ve had no bottlenecks with UHS I with my other bodies.
How many of your other bodies shoot 12 fps? You’re going to have bottlenecks here. I experimented a little bit this morning with a UHS-I card in slot 1, and I was able to shoot a burst around the maximum size, but it took forever to clear compared to with my new UHS-II card in there. I tried DNG to slot 1 and JPEG to slot 2, and it was super slow to get the buffer cleared. If you’re not shooting maximum length bursts or 20-ish image bursts in someone rapid succession, then you can do fine without UHS-II cards. But for sports and I’d say for wildlife subjects like BIF, you want a UHS-II card and to just use slot 2 to hold your second card so that you can put it into slot 1 when your first card is full.
04-24-2021, 07:18 PM   #4

I just shot over 1500 frames today and the UHSII clears the buffer faster as you would expect. I shot all in RAW and when the first card filled the only difference I noticed was the buffer fills faster. At 12fps the card fill fast! I'll seldom need all that speed.

04-25-2021, 02:29 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
Seeing as how the dual card slot support different speeds, anyone gonna mix and match?

I would think one would only need the faster speed handling the video...
Any question should be able to solve with this existing threads:
K-3 III - Recommend SD Cards? - PentaxForums.com
This is the Pentax K-3 Mark III - Page 6 - PentaxForums.com
04-25-2021, 04:52 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Thanks,
I missed those on my initial search..

JJ
04-29-2021, 02:38 PM   #7
Forum Member

UHS-II suggestions to maximize slot 1

I shoot in burst mode a lot. A lot lot. And one of my frustrations is waiting for the buffer to clear.

So if anyone might suggest an SD card or two that will maximize that first slot in a new K3 iii, I'd be grateful.

04-29-2021, 03:06 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Buy the fastest card you can find, but be aware that doing so may not improve the write times from buffer. One thing is for sure. It certainly can't hurt.

Steve
04-29-2021, 03:13 PM   #9
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

V90 speed is the highest - pay attention to the write speeds of the cards, faster is better for buffer clearing
04-30-2021, 05:26 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've had good luck with Lexar Professional 150MB/s 1000x SD XC Class 10 UHS II 3. I supect there are faster cards available now, but I've used these for a few years with great results.
04-30-2021, 06:31 AM - 1 Like   #11
Forum Member

Thanks so much for the replies. I think, for now (after having read a number of threads here and elsewhere), I'm going to go with the Kingston React Plus. It's a v90 that's supposed to have very fast write speed as well as be very reliable. I've shot SanDisk nearly exclusively for a while and liked those. But the price point and performance on the Kingston makes the most sense to me for this purchase. Can't wait to see how the combo does!
04-30-2021, 05:47 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by corvin Quote
Thanks so much for the replies. I think, for now (after having read a number of threads here and elsewhere), I'm going to go with the Kingston React Plus. It's a v90 that's supposed to have very fast write speed as well as be very reliable. I've shot SanDisk nearly exclusively for a while and liked those. But the price point and performance on the Kingston makes the most sense to me for this purchase. Can't wait to see how the combo does!
Good choice.
04-30-2021, 06:21 PM   #13

I checked the read and write speeds, prices, and availability of the SanDisk Extreme Pro UHS-II and decided that is the way I am going to go. I'm not going to cheap out and buy a slower version of SD card or a knock off brand after forking over the big bucks for the K-3iii in the first place.
04-30-2021, 06:34 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by idontstairs Quote
I checked the read and write speeds, prices, and availability of the SanDisk Extreme Pro UHS-II and decided that is the way I am going to go. I'm not going to cheap out and buy a slower version of SD card or a knock off brand after forking over the big bucks for the K-3iii in the first place.
And that's my other set of 4 cards. Another good choice
04-30-2021, 08:45 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
I've had good luck with Lexar Professional 150MB/s 1000x SD XC Class 10 UHS II 3. I supect there are faster cards available now, but I've used these for a few years with great results.
That's the card I bought as a discounted bundle when I preordered my K-3 III