Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2021, 05:21 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3iii and Bluetooth

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere but I'm not getting the camera and iPhone 7 to pair. Any suggestions?

04-29-2021, 06:17 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry, but I have to ask. Are you following the instructions in the K-3iii wireless manual?

The other thing to check is whether your phone is broadcasting its name.

Steve
04-30-2021, 12:54 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Are you connecting through the Image Sync app? I have the iPhone SE which connects easily, just not in the normal way. You need to use the app and then select a time limit (in settings in image sync) for your location transmission. To use the app for pictures you also have to connect via the cameras WiFi using the app.
It all works well just not how you would expect ��
04-30-2021, 11:32 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was initially worried about it, too. The key is to go to the web page listed in the manual, get Image Sync on your phone, and then follow the steps on the website in the detailed description tab (not just the Overview tab). Has to be done from within the Image Sync app, NOT iOS Settings, and have to do Wifi first, and keep it on. Then you will have to enter your Pentax's alpha-numeric name that it shows on the camera bluetooth screen into your phone app. I was wondering how well all of this would work the next time I turned the camera on - and it worked fine today (iPhone 12).

05-01-2021, 06:17 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all. The image sync app is what I over looked. I'll reread and try to do it right next time.
05-01-2021, 05:12 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That's why I love this forum.

QuoteOriginally posted by mysterick Quote
Thanks all. The image sync app is what I over looked. I'll reread and try to do it right next time.
Because from the simplest to the profound, all questions are repaired.
05-25-2021, 08:51 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have had no success with ImageSync and Bluetooth on an Android phone. WiFi works, and gave me the impression that Bluetooth did, but alas, no. Has anyone else succeeded in getting consistent connectivity with Bluetooth on an Android phone to the K3iii?
05-25-2021, 10:10 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I have had no success with ImageSync and Bluetooth on an Android phone. WiFi works, and gave me the impression that Bluetooth did, but alas, no. Has anyone else succeeded in getting consistent connectivity with Bluetooth on an Android phone to the K3iii?
Rob,
Your issue maybe related to the phone's background task manager (see Don?t kill my app! | Hey Android vendors, don?t kill my app!) which is used to extend the battery life. I have downloaded the 'no screen off' app which does seem to extend the duration of the connection. Also have you adjusted the 'Background location information transmission' time setting within Image Sync?

Brian

05-25-2021, 10:41 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Bluetooth cannot be used for the Live View or transferring files or whatever. That's what the longer range wifi is for.
05-25-2021, 11:19 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by smib Quote
Rob,Your issue maybe related to the phone's background task manager (see Don?t kill my app! | Hey Android vendors, don?t kill my app!) which is used to extend the battery life. I have downloaded the 'no screen off' app which does seem to extend the duration of the connection. Also have you adjusted the 'Background location information transmission' time setting within Image Sync?
Yes, I adjusted the background time. Even with everything running and the camera supposedly connected, the app couldn't find it. I just managed to get it connected by establishing the connection through the phone's Bluetooth interface not the camera interface. I think it must be that way otherwise the phone won't permit the app to connect through Bluetooth.

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Bluetooth cannot be used for the Live View or transferring files or whatever. That's what the longer range wifi is for.
As I discovered when I got it connected. You can still adjust the camera controls and take photos, but you can't do specific focus without the live view. Without live view or photo download, the ability to take photos with Bluetooth seems of a lot less value. But I mainly wanted to get the GPS location from the phone.
05-25-2021, 11:55 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But I mainly wanted to get the GPS location from the phone.
See, Bluetooth's fine for that function. And the camera doesn't use up its battery so much while it's running instead of WiFi.

Bluetooth is a proximity technology, but with WiFi you might be able to shoot 90 metres away from the camera in open air.

Note that you can use Bluetooth to pair in the first place, and Wifi will later use that pairing for future connections.
05-26-2021, 12:53 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
See, Bluetooth's fine for that function. And the camera doesn't use up its battery so much while it's running instead of WiFi. Bluetooth is a proximity technology, but with WiFi you might be able to shoot 90 metres away from the camera in open air. Note that you can use Bluetooth to pair in the first place, and Wifi will later use that pairing for future connections.
OK, thanks. I do know a fair bit about Bluetooth and WiFi. Actually, my experience was that I could not establish a Bluetooth pairing before a WiFi connection, but there's other reasons why WiFi isn't a good idea - for example I took a photo of an aircraft flying over, and wanted to check it on FlightRadar, but the phone was WiFi connected to the camera so it couldn't get to the Internet. So Bluetooth is a better solution for low bandwidth requirements like getting GPS location from the phone. I'm not sure how useful it is to be able to take photos with the phone using Bluetooth when you can't see what is in the viewfinder or in the photo. Maybe if you can control the camera for video, you could have an external monitor but it seems of limited use compared to the functionality with WiFi.
05-26-2021, 04:00 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OK, thanks. I do know a fair bit about Bluetooth and WiFi. Actually, my experience was that I could not establish a Bluetooth pairing before a WiFi connection, but there's other reasons why WiFi isn't a good idea - for example I took a photo of an aircraft flying over, and wanted to check it on FlightRadar, but the phone was WiFi connected to the camera so it couldn't get to the Internet. So Bluetooth is a better solution for low bandwidth requirements like getting GPS location from the phone. I'm not sure how useful it is to be able to take photos with the phone using Bluetooth when you can't see what is in the viewfinder or in the photo. Maybe if you can control the camera for video, you could have an external monitor but it seems of limited use compared to the functionality with WiFi.
I think you answered your own question, Rob!

Bluetooth is of limited usefulness compared to WiFi. Its bandwidth might be okay for earphones, and in theory it can carry video, but in practice, it's much too slow.

If you were spending a whole morning taking pictures and referring to the Internet, you'd bring a second device like a tablet and use ImageSync on that, leaving the phone alone. A tablet is a better experience, anyway, and would not need a SIM card.
5 Days Ago - 1 Like   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

By the way, my experience with getting the camera to connect with Bluetooth is that I have to open the Imagesync app and select the camera icon to establish the link. The camera must not be in standby at the time. I can then exit from the camera remote control mode and put the phone in my pocket. The camera LCD will show that it is getting GPS from the phone. I have to experiment a bit more to see when the link is lost.