Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why do they get all the cool stuff…

JJ

05-03-2021, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Once again this illustrates how focused Ricoh is on the domestic Japanese market.
My thought exactly. I guess they know what they are doing better than us, but they leave the rest of the world thinking we're second-grade customers sometimes.
05-03-2021, 03:36 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
My thought exactly. I guess they know what they are doing better than us, but they leave the rest of the world thinking we're second-grade customers sometimes.
Until somewhat recently I had thought the US was a major market for them, and got priority on new gear. Surprise!
05-03-2021, 04:00 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Until somewhat recently I had thought the US was a major market for them, and got priority on new gear. Surprise!
Well, we were last or nearly so on pre-orders for the K-3 iii, but we did get them delivered before much of the rest of the world. (Well, unless you ordered from B&H, but that’s not Ricoh’s problem.)

05-03-2021, 10:02 PM - 2 Likes   #20
JPT
Pentaxian

Well, just consider what Japanese customers have to pay extra for the privilege of having extra marketing targeted at them.

The K-3 III is JPY 279,800 in the Ricoh store (USD 2,560.86). The cheapest you can buy it at the moment from other sellers is JPY 251,820 (USD 2,304.7). These are both including 10% consumption tax.
PENTAX K-3 Mark III - ??????????? - ????? | RICOH IMAGING

Would you still switch places with a Japanese customer for the chance to get the prism novelty?

I think they just know that the price speaks louder and promotion is less effective with customers in America. Japanese customers are less price sensitive, especially the early adopters. There are enough people who like merchandise, special events and so on and they are prepared to pay for it.
05-04-2021, 01:17 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
What is "exclusive" and what is "inclusive"? Are Sony, Fujifilm, OMD, Panasonic "inclusive" brands? But, they don't "include" the people who want DSLRs (and Canon/Nikon are going in the same direction). And their fans are making that crystal clear.
Perhaps Pentax is a targeted brand. You know, for the people who made a certain choice.
I have no idea about other brands (other than Fuji who I feel are quite inclusive*) and how inclusive they (and their respective communities are) because I'm not using their cameras. Was actually hoping to hear from people who do, and have an opinion. (Do you have an opinion - or am I right sensing it's just attitude?)

You seem to be thinking of in/exclusiveness in terms of DSLR vs mirrorless only, in the context of this tread I hope it's pretty clear there are other (more important for me) angles like marketing by geography (or is it sales numbers? is Japan earning more to P/Ricoh than, say, US? Personally I feel that the Pentax's exclusion is forced on them by small sales - would love to see more variety in camera bodies and lenses. It feels (and I'm not expert, maybe I'm just missing their ads - literally haven't seen any for my local market) like there's a lot of (existing and potential) user groups that get excluded (not 100% of course - similarly to what the thread started from, just by slightly irritating inequalities) when you consider aspects like availability (new 3rd party lenses) and affordability (new entry-level bodies and lenses)

*fuji is inclusive by my standards because they have a lot of 3rd party lenses and a good choice of cheap vs expensive

Still wondering how much this affects the community - whether more open-minded and/or excluded customers will slowly gravitate to other brands.
05-04-2021, 04:27 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chriswill Quote
I have no idea about other brands (other than Fuji who I feel are quite inclusive*) and how inclusive they (and their respective communities are) because I'm not using their cameras. Was actually hoping to hear from people who do, and have an opinion. (Do you have an opinion - or am I right sensing it's just attitude?)

You seem to be thinking of in/exclusiveness in terms of DSLR vs mirrorless only, in the context of this tread I hope it's pretty clear there are other (more important for me) angles like marketing by geography (or is it sales numbers? is Japan earning more to P/Ricoh than, say, US? Personally I feel that the Pentax's exclusion is forced on them by small sales - would love to see more variety in camera bodies and lenses. It feels (and I'm not expert, maybe I'm just missing their ads - literally haven't seen any for my local market) like there's a lot of (existing and potential) user groups that get excluded (not 100% of course - similarly to what the thread started from, just by slightly irritating inequalities) when you consider aspects like availability (new 3rd party lenses) and affordability (new entry-level bodies and lenses)

*fuji is inclusive by my standards because they have a lot of 3rd party lenses and a good choice of cheap vs expensive

Still wondering how much this affects the community - whether more open-minded and/or excluded customers will slowly gravitate to other brands.
You don't want to hear my opinion. You want to hear your opinion, in other people's words.
How do I know that? Well, the last paragraph in which you basically say how the "more open-minded" of us should do this and that.

Fujifilm, by the way, is one of the worst mirrorless brands in terms of 3rd-party support. Amazing how they'd get praised for that...

05-05-2021, 12:47 PM   #23

You don't want to hear my opinion. You want to hear your opinion, in other people's words.
How do I know that? Well, the last paragraph in which you basically say how the "more open-minded" of us should do this and that.

Fujifilm, by the way, is one of the worst mirrorless brands in terms of 3rd-party support. Amazing how they'd get praised for that...
I do have an opinion indeed, asked if some people share it or not. Got one response (yours) which seems weirdly off topic so I asked if you're writing from an emotional standpoint or actually want to answer my question. Not sure how you arrived at your conclusion from my use of "open-minded", but pretty sure I don't want to get an explanation on how you know what I'm thinking (and this is hardly a place for that).

On the other hand, if you're still willing - do let me know about how bad that Fuji 3rd party support is (also: what's better?). I'm new to Fuji but being able to use 3rd party lenses was one of the main reasons behind my switch from film Minoltas to digital Pentaxes (Samsung actually).
05-05-2021, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

I do have an opinion indeed, asked if some people share it or not. Got one response (yours) which seems weirdly off topic so I asked if you're writing from an emotional standpoint or actually want to answer my question. Not sure how you arrived at your conclusion from my use of "open-minded", but pretty sure I don't want to get an explanation on how you know what I'm thinking (and this is hardly a place for that).

On the other hand, if you're still willing - do let me know about how bad that Fuji 3rd party support is (also: what's better?). I'm new to Fuji but being able to use 3rd party lenses was one of the main reasons behind my switch from film Minoltas to digital Pentaxes (Samsung actually).
The topic is about a certain fan product gifted to the Japanese buyers. But you can try to explain why you brought up the "more open-minded" issue if you wish.

As for Fujifilm's 3rd-party support, it should be obvious:
- no Sigma lenses
- no Tamron lenses
- no actual Tokina lenses (there are two rebadged Viltrox)
This, for a mount launched back in 2012.
05-06-2021, 01:32 AM   #25

The topic is about a certain fan product gifted to the Japanese buyers. But you can try to explain why you brought up the "more open-minded" issue if you wish.

As for Fujifilm's 3rd-party support, it should be obvious:
- no Sigma lenses
- no Tamron lenses
- no actual Tokina lenses (there are two rebadged Viltrox)
This, for a mount launched back in 2012.
Is no Sigma/Tamron really bad? My (limited) experience with these lenses on Pentax cameras is that they often are a cheaper alternative to Pentax. My need for 3rd party is basically that - a cheaper alternative and for my needs Viltrox and Samyang are enough with more (if I ever need them) from Zeiss and Laowa or 7artisans and Neewer (if I want to have fun). And then all the adapted old Pentax, m42s etc. I don't feel it's bad for 10 years of history.

I feel like there's a lot to chose from - am I wrong? Have T and S declared they're not going to produce for Fuji (or is Fuji somehow stopping them?)

And on open-minded - I feel how people (you?) might take offense when someone (I) uses it t describe someone else. As if because "other people are open-minded" means you are not. What I meant by that is "people open to the idea of trying different brands hands on" - "brand-hopping" if you wish, which (sadly) sometimes means selling off one brand to try the other and in consequence leaving one brand-based community in favour of the other.

"Close minded" by my definition (and your mileage may vary, also didn't check OED before writing it) would be people who have a problem taking questions at face value and pick their examples just to prove their point. There's a lot of those everywhere, I've been asking if the Pentax community is in danger of seeing their ratio increase - and hoping that's not happening. Pretty much like you look outside wondering if it's going to rain but still would love a day of sunshine (or other way round - good photos with Pentax on rain days)
05-06-2021, 02:48 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Is no Sigma/Tamron really bad? My (limited) experience with these lenses on Pentax cameras is that they often are a cheaper alternative to Pentax. My need for 3rd party is basically that - a cheaper alternative and for my needs Viltrox and Samyang are enough with more (if I ever need them) from Zeiss and Laowa or 7artisans and Neewer (if I want to have fun). And then all the adapted old Pentax, m42s etc. I don't feel it's bad for 10 years of history.

I feel like there's a lot to chose from - am I wrong? Have T and S declared they're not going to produce for Fuji (or is Fuji somehow stopping them?)

And on open-minded - I feel how people (you?) might take offense when someone (I) uses it t describe someone else. As if because "other people are open-minded" means you are not. What I meant by that is "people open to the idea of trying different brands hands on" - "brand-hopping" if you wish, which (sadly) sometimes means selling off one brand to try the other and in consequence leaving one brand-based community in favour of the other.

"Close minded" by my definition (and your mileage may vary, also didn't check OED before writing it) would be people who have a problem taking questions at face value and pick their examples just to prove their point. There's a lot of those everywhere, I've been asking if the Pentax community is in danger of seeing their ratio increase - and hoping that's not happening. Pretty much like you look outside wondering if it's going to rain but still would love a day of sunshine (or other way round - good photos with Pentax on rain days)
That's a red herring, what we should be discussing is if Fujifilm can really be praised for its 3rd-party support.
I make no judgement beyond seeing the situation as it is.

Obviously I'd be upset by random people attacking this community, and annoyed when it's such a boring, repeated "logic": "open-minded = going mirrorless". On a thread dedicated to a certain Pentax DSLR.
Perhaps being open minded means to accept that some of us chose Pentax, and are quite happy with their choice.

Obviously (again), both subjects are off topic; so I'll end it here and put you on the ignore list.
05-06-2021, 04:30 AM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Their response:
"Applications for this campaign are limited to those who have purchased the target product at a store or mail order in Japan, and who live in Japan and can receive parcel delivery. Thank you very much. We look forward to your continued patronage."
OK, I bought it in Australia, but I wonder if I could get one delivered to my friend in Japan?
05-06-2021, 04:54 AM   #28
Pentaxian

I'll end it here and put you on the ignore list.
Respectfully, isn't that a bit harsh? Not everyone has to agree with everyone, is that a reason to ignore?
05-06-2021, 05:09 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Respectfully, isn't that a bit harsh? Not everyone has to agree with everyone, is that a reason to ignore?
This has nothing to do with us agreeing. I'm simply putting a hard stop to a conflictual exchange, before a mod would be forced to intervene.
05-07-2021, 12:47 AM   #30

That's a red herring, what we should be discussing is if Fujifilm can really be praised for its 3rd-party support.
I make no judgement beyond seeing the situation as it is.

Obviously I'd be upset by random people attacking this community, and annoyed when it's such a boring, repeated "logic": "open-minded = going mirrorless". On a thread dedicated to a certain Pentax DSLR.
Perhaps being open minded means to accept that some of us chose Pentax, and are quite happy with their choice.

Obviously (again), both subjects are off topic; so I'll end it here and put you on the ignore list.
Okay, I see how this is going nowhere. Makes little sense for me to try to find out anything from you when you dodge every question, tell me what I'm thinking, and treat my asking if the community is in danger of becoming less friendly and open-minded as an attack on that community. I believe in identifying and fixing problems if they arise rather than ignoring them. Just happy you seem the only one offended by my question - proves that the community as a whole is still doing pretty good.