Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
04-30-2021, 11:25 AM   #1
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentaprism Present: Japan Only

Hey all,
I emailed Ricoh regarding the pentaprism present offered for K-3 III purchases in Japan.
I received a response today and I would like to share it here for your info too:

My email:
"Good morning!
Will international (Canadian) customers be able to apply for this pentaprism?
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/japan/event/2021/k-3-3_cmpgn/
Thank you,
Stephen"

Their response:
"K-3 Mark lll Pentaprism present campaign secretariat.

Dear Stephen

Thank you for contacting us.

Regarding the following matters that you have inquired about:
Will international (Canadian) customers be able to apply for this pentaprism?

I would like to answer:
Applications for this campaign are limited to those who have purchased the target product at a store or mail order in Japan, and who live in Japan and can receive parcel delivery. Thank you very much. We look forward to your continued patronage."

Now I know, but I still wanna try to get my hands on one :P

04-30-2021, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'd wondered about that. A few of us thank you for checking it out.
04-30-2021, 07:44 PM - 1 Like   #3

Nice little doodad. I wonder if it is made with the expensive high index glass?

Once again this illustrates how focused Ricoh is on the domestic Japanese market.
05-01-2021, 05:37 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nah, they just decided to turn the defective ones into a marketing piece ;-)

05-01-2021, 05:39 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe they will show up on e bay before too long (there's a lot of stuff that is Japan only that you can still buy).
05-01-2021, 05:46 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

There was a pentaprism in my fathers workshop/darkroom. I was fascinated by it as a kid. He probably took it from some broken camera, saying that he used the same banged about camera all my life. Still on a shelf next to his computer. Wonder where he got hold of the pentaprism as I imagine he would have repaired any broken camera. Will ask.
05-01-2021, 08:13 AM   #7
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
What would the biggest pentaprism be that Pentax has made? If one were to purchase a camera to disassemble for the pentaprism? My guess is the MX?

05-01-2021, 01:49 PM   #8

Not just only Japan, as I know Taiwan has the same promotion too
05-01-2021, 01:56 PM   #9
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kinkindoll Quote
Taiwan has the same promotion too
just plain rude haha I really think they look cool
05-01-2021, 02:15 PM   #10

here is the website RICOH.PENTAX?????

their price of a K-3 iii body is 62800 in Taiwan dollar which equivalent to USD 2300
05-01-2021, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
What would the biggest pentaprism be that Pentax has made? If one were to purchase a camera to disassemble for the pentaprism? My guess is the MX?
Surely the largest would be in the 67/6x7. Whether or not they made a bigger one for promotion purposes, I wouldn’t know, but you’d have to find a parts-only copy of the 67 to justify pulling out the pentaprism.
05-01-2021, 03:04 PM   #12
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Surely the largest would be in the 67/6x7. Whether or not they made a bigger one for promotion purposes, I wouldn’t know, but you’d have to find a parts-only copy of the 67 to justify pulling out the pentaprism.
lol guess you caught me on a technicality haha yes I agree. and that might be a nice ornament too! what would be the largest K- or M42- mount pentaprism?
05-02-2021, 01:32 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

As noted by RobA_Oz that would be the 6x7 indeed. I still have one around here somewhere. I got it cheap second hand, used it for a few films, and then messed up the film transport through a faulty manipulation. The price for getting it repaired was huge, so I never had it fixed. I probably won't ever, and since I'm not intending to start a photography museum anytime soon, perhaps recovering the its prism as a desktop ornament isn't a bad idea... Don't know whether I'll ever be brave enough though...

Wim
05-02-2021, 05:02 AM   #14

just plain rude haha I really think they look cool
This is just a gnawing feeling I've been getting for a while (so basically asking if I'm getting the right vibe): is Pentax/Ricoh becoming more and more exclusive as a brand? Not "luxury", rather the opposite of the "inclusive" - the way that Pentax community is an "inclusive" one.

On the other hand is the community as inclusive as it used to be, say 10-15 yrs ago? I sometimes feel like (especially locally (I'm in Poland) there's a bit of gate-keeping online with strong favor for in-person/long-term acquaintances). Do other brands form similar communities (not asking if the non-facebook forums exist, rather about people's attitudes at other "branded communities" or is Pentax Friendliness(TM) something born out of underdog/we're-all-doomed camaraderie?
05-02-2021, 05:49 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chriswill Quote
This is just a gnawing feeling I've been getting for a while (so basically asking if I'm getting the right vibe): is Pentax/Ricoh becoming more and more exclusive as a brand? Not "luxury", rather the opposite of the "inclusive" - the way that Pentax community is an "inclusive" one.
What is "exclusive" and what is "inclusive"? Are Sony, Fujifilm, OMD, Panasonic "inclusive" brands? But, they don't "include" the people who want DSLRs (and Canon/Nikon are going in the same direction). And their fans are making that crystal clear.
Perhaps Pentax is a targeted brand. You know, for the people who made a certain choice.