Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2021, 05:22 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K3iii vs D500 vs 7Dii

Anecdotal reports are starting to come in.

Starting this thread to collect them together for those who are particularly interested in this topic.

Here's one report to get things started.

PHOTOGRAPHIC CENTRAL: Pentax K3 Mk III Review Series 1

05-01-2021, 05:33 PM   #2
Pentaxian

There are videos on YouTube but just sporadic comparisons, nothing substantial.
05-02-2021, 06:24 AM - 4 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Working on part II fyi. Want some quality images and more indepth writing about the AF and other changes of the K3 MK III. I'm thinking about 3 steps ahead here, but the K3 Mk III has impressed me so much I'd like to see K1 Mk III with a fast frame rate and similar AF system as well. That would bode really well for Pentax. So far the PLM seems to be the best choice for AF continuous tracking, but I'm trying to obtain the 150-450 as well. PLM tech has its limitations for future designs, so SDM is important to report on as well. Just wish Sigma made more K mount lenses. I use my 100-400mm C f/5-6.3 on my D500 (its that fast and the IQ is amazing), so of course I wish I had the same lens for the Pentax K3 Mk III. But I'll make due with what we have available.

*Edit: Let me add by saying that although I have a lot of Pentax gear, I don't have many of the SDM lenses because I opted to boost up my Nikon system for BIF and action work. (I only have so many resources). I may go the lensrental.com route and test the K3 MK III with the 60-250 SDM and 150-450 HD. We'll see. More to come, likely by the time I get my stuff posted there will be plenty online about the AF system already, it's always a horse race

*Edit#2: I may also test the 70-210mm f/4, I know it's not the sharpest on peripherals, but it's likely the fastest focusing compared to the PLM. We'll see.

Last edited by Rush2112; 05-02-2021 at 07:00 AM.
05-02-2021, 02:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rush2112 Quote
Working on part II fyi. Want some quality images and more indepth writing about the AF and other changes of the K3 MK III. I'm thinking about 3 steps ahead here, but the K3 Mk III has impressed me so much I'd like to see K1 Mk III with a fast frame rate and similar AF system as well. That would bode really well for Pentax. So far the PLM seems to be the best choice for AF continuous tracking, but I'm trying to obtain the 150-450 as well. PLM tech has its limitations for future designs, so SDM is important to report on as well. Just wish Sigma made more K mount lenses. I use my 100-400mm C f/5-6.3 on my D500 (its that fast and the IQ is amazing), so of course I wish I had the same lens for the Pentax K3 Mk III. But I'll make due with what we have available.

*Edit: Let me add by saying that although I have a lot of Pentax gear, I don't have many of the SDM lenses because I opted to boost up my Nikon system for BIF and action work. (I only have so many resources). I may go the lensrental.com route and test the K3 MK III with the 60-250 SDM and 150-450 HD. We'll see. More to come, likely by the time I get my stuff posted there will be plenty online about the AF system already, it's always a horse race

*Edit#2: I may also test the 70-210mm f/4, I know it's not the sharpest on peripherals, but it's likely the fastest focusing compared to the PLM. We'll see.
People forget that the 70-200/2.8 and 150-450 have ring type DC motors, so they shouldn’t be slow at all. Its just the SDM micromotors on the original DA* lenses that are unable to keep up with subjects.

05-02-2021, 02:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
People forget that the 70-200/2.8 and 150-450 have ring type DC motors, so they shouldn’t be slow at all. Its just the SDM micromotors on the original DA* lenses that are unable to keep up with subjects.
Yep. 70-200/2.8 was another consideration but pretty expensive just for testing purposes. I'd like to see a 70-300mm f/4 WR PLM, without the compact feature. Pretty much an ideal budget zoom to fill a gap. Ah wishlists.
05-02-2021, 02:58 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
Anecdotal reports are starting to come in.

Starting this thread to collect them together for those who are particularly interested in this topic.

Here's one report to get things started.

PHOTOGRAPHIC CENTRAL: Pentax K3 Mk III Review Series 1
I read the linked review (part I) and it sounds like a great camera! I am just getting into Pentax with a used K-50, but this camera body will definitely top my wish list!
05-02-2021, 03:22 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is this a comparison of the K3 III vs D500 vs 7DII? Are are you asking for a comparison?

05-02-2021, 05:17 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
Is this a comparison of the K3 III vs D500 vs 7DII? Are are you asking for a comparison?
It's a thread to collect together comparison reports of these cameras. I thought the opening post was pretty clear.
Did you read the linked article?

I'd like to see a 70-300mm f/4 WR PLM, without the compact feature. Pretty much an ideal budget zoom to fill a gap. Ah wishlists.
I believe something like this may be roadmapped
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/japan/products/lens/images/K_Mount_Lens.pdf

test the K3 MK III with the 60-250 SDM and 150-450 HD.
Thanks for the report.Very interested to hear part 2.
The 150-450 would probably be of most interest to people.

The 60-250 SDM is an old SDM implementation and is pretty slow on current bodies. But it would be interesting to see how it does on a K3iii
05-03-2021, 07:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks yep..

At least its a telephoto zoom lens, hopefully! Pretty sure this new AF system is the base standard going forward, should only get better from here in time.

I'm thinking the 70-210mm f/4 is another good match for the K3 Mk III. Size, weight, features, af speed, are all there. Optically good too since it's going to use the center crop.
05-07-2021, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Just an fyi guys and gals, the 70-210mm f/4 has some inconsistent continuous AF issues. Micro flutter, nervous behavior, even on still subjects with the camera completely still. I had the same issue with the Tamron 70-210mm F4 (same lens basically) on my D500. It's a good lens but I think it has some faults, and right now I'm not gonna recommend it as a fast focusing alternative for the K3 MK III until the issue is solved one way or the other. Not sure if FW can solve this issue. Didn't matter what CAF setting I used, its doing it in all the CAF modes. Same for D500. Right now the best fastest focusing option is the 55-300mm PLM that I'm aware of.
05-07-2021, 05:30 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just an fyi guys and gals, the 70-210mm f/4 has some inconsistent continuous AF issues. Micro flutter, nervous behavior, even on still subjects with the camera completely still. I had the same issue with the Tamron 70-210mm F4 (same lens basically) on my D500. It's a good lens but I think it has some faults, and right now I'm not gonna recommend it as a fast focusing alternative for the K3 MK III until the issue is solved one way or the other. Not sure if FW can solve this issue. Didn't matter what CAF setting I used, its doing it in all the CAF modes. Same for D500. Right now the best fastest focusing option is the 55-300mm PLM that I'm aware of.
Thanks for that info. I was considering that lens for birds in flight with the K3iii. Have you looked at the DA* 200mm and 300mm. I have very good luck with the 200mm.
05-07-2021, 05:44 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
the 70-210mm f/4 has some inconsistent continuous AF issues. Micro flutter, nervous behavior, even on still subjects with the camera completely still. I had the same issue with the Tamron 70-210mm F4 (same lens basically) on my D500
Fascinating, something that hasn't come up on other bodies as far as I'm aware. Obviously it sounds inherent to that particular lens implementation.
I'm struggling to think of what might be going on there.
05-07-2021, 08:13 PM   #13
Veteran Member

It's the same behavior I saw on my D500. The only term I could come up with that accurately describes it, is micro flutter. In CAF, its like the lens is constantly hunting a subject even though its a clear outlined subject, so when you shoot bursts, you get say 3 shots out of ten that are spot on dead accurate, then say 3 that are really close, and 3 that are obviously out of focus, but not by much. When I focus on a stationary object even with the camera still, I can see it changing focus back and forth minutely even though it should really just focus and hold. Exactly the same issue I had on the D500 when I was trying to find the ideal carry BIF lens. So I think it has something to do with the programming inside the lens itself. When I use the PLM 55-300, or even other lenses on the K3 Mk III, I don't have that issue at all.

TBT, I'm bummed because I really like that 70-210mm design, everything about it- size, internal focus, f/4, WR, great IQ, fast focusing... Makes me wonder if it could be fixed with FW in the lens itself, Tamron has a dock that should be able to do that for their version.

With this lens out of the running for me as the most reliable lens for CAF on the K3 Mk III, the field of lens choices narrows even further. Makes me wonder if Pentax can do anything about it.

*edit: Anyhow, I should be posting part II of the review shortly. The 55/300 PLM is definitely good enough to show the true potential of the K3 Mk III. It's a savage when it comes to locking and holding a target! Pentax lets get some more fast focusing lenses out asap!

C

---------- Post added 05-07-2021 at 08:22 PM ----------

There are a few reviews from the Tamron 70-210mm f/4 that discuss focus issues, like this one: Review: Tamron 70-210mm f4 Di VC USD (Canon EF)

Since the Pentax is a rebranded version of it (albeit with a better exterior and lens coatings), I'd assume internally they are very much the same.
05-08-2021, 06:11 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Just an fyi, I'll have the 60-250mm f/4 for testing tomorrow. I have a feeling this lens will be the sweet spot for the K3 Mk III above the 55-300mm PLM, and might be the best overall "carry" birding lens matched to the K3 MK III. Most likely this will be the best overall zoom lens for fast action photography for the K3 Mk III.
05-08-2021, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

And which lens did DPR use? OF COURSE....

It's the same behavior I saw on my D500. The only term I could come up with that accurately describes it, is micro flutter. In CAF, its like the lens is constantly hunting a subject even though its a clear outlined subject, so when you shoot bursts, you get say 3 shots out of ten that are spot on dead accurate, then say 3 that are really close, and 3 that are obviously out of focus, but not by much. When I focus on a stationary object even with the camera still, I can see it changing focus back and forth minutely even though it should really just focus and hold. Exactly the same issue I had on the D500 when I was trying to find the ideal carry BIF lens. So I think it has something to do with the programming inside the lens itself. When I use the PLM 55-300, or even other lenses on the K3 Mk III, I don't have that issue at all.

TBT, I'm bummed because I really like that 70-210mm design, everything about it- size, internal focus, f/4, WR, great IQ, fast focusing... Makes me wonder if it could be fixed with FW in the lens itself, Tamron has a dock that should be able to do that for their version.

With this lens out of the running for me as the most reliable lens for CAF on the K3 Mk III, the field of lens choices narrows even further. Makes me wonder if Pentax can do anything about it.

*edit: Anyhow, I should be posting part II of the review shortly. The 55/300 PLM is definitely good enough to show the true potential of the K3 Mk III. It's a savage when it comes to locking and holding a target! Pentax lets get some more fast focusing lenses out asap!

C

---------- Post added 05-07-2021 at 08:22 PM ----------

There are a few reviews from the Tamron 70-210mm f/4 that discuss focus issues, like this one: Review: Tamron 70-210mm f4 Di VC USD (Canon EF)

Since the Pentax is a rebranded version of it (albeit with a better exterior and lens coatings), I'd assume internally they are very much the same.
Chris and Jordan used the 70-210mm f/4 for their "review" vs. the D500. Wrong lens to use to "determine" the AF tracking capability of the Pentax K3 Mk III. Man DPR can't ever get it right with Pentax cameras. Granted Chris stated this was the only lens available to them at the time, but really? A site like DPR owned by Amazon can't get other lenses to test? C'mon!