Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2021, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

I'll admit to have got used to the K-70, KP etc. lighting up the focus square that it's using, but, as far as I've been able to ascertain, a lit square doesn't equate to a focus lock, just to where the camera is trying to focus … it's the "green hexagon" at the bottom of the screen that confirms lock, which seems to be how the K-3iii works and indeed how the *istDL2 (which doesn't have focus points) works, so it's a concept I've got used to.
On a reasonably static subject, the one more or less equates to the other, so might be misleading, but tracking a bird against a clear sky with my KP using AFC and multi-point focus, it can become reasonably obvious that the red squares are flickering on and off, but the green hexagon isn't lighting … when it does is the time to press the shutter
Inevitably - YMMV

Last edited by kypfer; 05-04-2021 at 02:38 PM. Reason: punctuation
05-04-2021, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
If it is the same as K-1, the red light is on for a short time only.

Hope that helps.
Thanks... it seems that the USER 1 setting was causing it not to work (every other setting was fine). I reset the User Mode Setting (only one I had played with) and is now working the same as others.

I will try to replicate what I set to stop it from working...

---------- Post added 05-04-21 at 02:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
I'll admit to have got used to the K-70, KP etc. lighting up the focus square that it's using, but, as far as I've been able to ascertain, a lit square doesn't equate to a focus lock, just to where the camera is trying to focus … it's the "green hexagon" at the bottom of the screen that confirms lock, which seems to be how the K-3iii works and indeed how the *istDL2 (which doesn't have focus points) works, so it's a concept I've got used to.
On a reasonably static subject, the one more or less equates to the other, so might be misleading, but tracking a bird against a clear sky with my KP using AFC and multi-point focus, it can become reasonably obvious that the red squares are flickering on and off, but the green hexagon isn't lighting … when it does is the time to press the shutter
Inevitably - YMMV
Actually I think this is the 'flaw'... when you select AFC in any mode (including as a USER mode) the red light does not work... is this what others find?
05-04-2021, 03:01 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snappyhoffy Quote
when you select AFC in any mode (including as a USER mode) the red light does not work... is this what others find?
Yes, I believe you are mostly correct. Now that you mention it, I recall that at least one other member had pointed out this quirk. I think the design is intended to not present a continuously flashing red light in the viewfinder. However, pressing the AF Mode button still illuminates the viewfinder in red, until another button is pressed.

I've edited my post above to indicate that my findings are applicable to AF.S mode.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 05-04-2021 at 03:09 PM.
05-04-2021, 07:08 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks... it seems that the USER 1 setting was causing it not to work (every other setting was fine). I reset the User Mode Setting (only one I had played with) and is now working the same as others.

I will try to replicate what I set to stop it from working...

---------- Post added 05-04-21 at 02:54 PM ----------

Actually I think this is the 'flaw'... when you select AFC in any mode (including as a USER mode) the red light does not work... is this what others find?
That is correct. It does not illuminate in AF.C

05-15-2021, 06:03 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Is this video with AF-C points in red true?

This promotional video shows red AF points in AF-C. Is it just marketing?

t=2:37
https://youtu.be/hXrCkCKge9M?t=157

Last edited by gatorguy; 05-15-2021 at 06:38 AM.
05-15-2021, 06:36 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
This promotional video shows red AF points in AF-C. Is it just marketing?
The original video from Ricoh Imaging indicates in a footnote at that segment that the actual focus position is indicated in black.

- Craig
05-15-2021, 08:48 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually its not a flaw it was designed that way. As has been said the green hexagon confirms focus not the red dots or the squares.

05-15-2021, 08:49 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
The original video from Ricoh Imaging indicates in a footnote at that segment that the actual focus position is indicated in black.

- Craig
Who reads footnotes??
05-15-2021, 09:12 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Inevitably - YMMV
There is also the focus confirmation "beep" but it does not operate during AF/C only the green hexagon.
05-16-2021, 08:44 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

check here

K3 III - Wish list and 'bug reports' for future firmware updates / upgrades - PentaxForums.com
05-16-2021, 09:36 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

didn't want to start a new thread as what i want to ask is sort of related.

Would like to ask k3iii owners, the outline of the AF points, are they always visible in the viewfinder?

It is like the difference between the K-1 and the KP/K70.

In the K-1, the outline of the 'AF squares', always visible in the viewfinder.
In the KP and K70, there is no permanent border outline of the AF squares.

So, wojdering if K-3iii will be sikilar to the K-1 on this aspect.
05-16-2021, 10:24 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
didn't want to start a new thread as what i want to ask is sort of related.

Would like to ask k3iii owners, the outline of the AF points, are they always visible in the viewfinder?

It is like the difference between the K-1 and the KP/K70.

In the K-1, the outline of the 'AF squares', always visible in the viewfinder.
In the KP and K70, there is no permanent border outline of the AF squares.

So, wojdering if K-3iii will be sikilar to the K-1 on this aspect.
Yes, it's the same as K-1 in that regard.
05-16-2021, 10:32 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
It is like the difference between the K-1 and the KP/K70.In the K-1, the outline of the 'AF squares', always visible in the viewfinder.In the KP and K70, there is no permanent border outline of the AF squares.
The AF squares and the framing around them are configurable. You can choose to show each or both.
05-16-2021, 02:55 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's been really helpful using Live View a few times to better understand what the camera focus is doing. Does a great job of tracking BTW.
05-18-2021, 05:09 PM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great topic and info, much appreciated!