Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2021, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Jersey C.I.
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,116
I'll admit to have got used to the K-70, KP etc. lighting up the focus square that it's using, but, as far as I've been able to ascertain, a lit square doesn't equate to a focus lock, just to where the camera is trying to focus … it's the "green hexagon" at the bottom of the screen that confirms lock, which seems to be how the K-3iii works and indeed how the *istDL2 (which doesn't have focus points) works, so it's a concept I've got used to.
On a reasonably static subject, the one more or less equates to the other, so might be misleading, but tracking a bird against a clear sky with my KP using AFC and multi-point focus, it can become reasonably obvious that the red squares are flickering on and off, but the green hexagon isn't lighting … when it does is the time to press the shutter
Inevitably - YMMV


Last edited by kypfer; 05-04-2021 at 02:38 PM. Reason: punctuation
05-04-2021, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
snappyhoffy's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Buckinghamshire
Posts: 64
QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
If it is the same as K-1, the red light is on for a short time only.

Hope that helps.
Thanks... it seems that the USER 1 setting was causing it not to work (every other setting was fine). I reset the User Mode Setting (only one I had played with) and is now working the same as others.

I will try to replicate what I set to stop it from working...

---------- Post added 05-04-21 at 02:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
I'll admit to have got used to the K-70, KP etc. lighting up the focus square that it's using, but, as far as I've been able to ascertain, a lit square doesn't equate to a focus lock, just to where the camera is trying to focus … it's the "green hexagon" at the bottom of the screen that confirms lock, which seems to be how the K-3iii works and indeed how the *istDL2 (which doesn't have focus points) works, so it's a concept I've got used to.
On a reasonably static subject, the one more or less equates to the other, so might be misleading, but tracking a bird against a clear sky with my KP using AFC and multi-point focus, it can become reasonably obvious that the red squares are flickering on and off, but the green hexagon isn't lighting … when it does is the time to press the shutter
Inevitably - YMMV
Actually I think this is the 'flaw'... when you select AFC in any mode (including as a USER mode) the red light does not work... is this what others find?
05-04-2021, 03:01 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
c.a.m's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,026
QuoteOriginally posted by snappyhoffy Quote
when you select AFC in any mode (including as a USER mode) the red light does not work... is this what others find?
Yes, I believe you are mostly correct. Now that you mention it, I recall that at least one other member had pointed out this quirk. I think the design is intended to not present a continuously flashing red light in the viewfinder. However, pressing the AF Mode button still illuminates the viewfinder in red, until another button is pressed.

I've edited my post above to indicate that my findings are applicable to AF.S mode.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 05-04-2021 at 03:09 PM.
05-04-2021, 07:08 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Kobie's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Bowmanville
Photos: Albums
Posts: 761
QuoteOriginally posted by snappyhoffy Quote
Thanks... it seems that the USER 1 setting was causing it not to work (every other setting was fine). I reset the User Mode Setting (only one I had played with) and is now working the same as others.

I will try to replicate what I set to stop it from working...

---------- Post added 05-04-21 at 02:54 PM ----------


Actually I think this is the 'flaw'... when you select AFC in any mode (including as a USER mode) the red light does not work... is this what others find?
That is correct. It does not illuminate in AF.C

05-15-2021, 06:03 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Gray's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Cape Town
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 518
Original Poster
Is this video with AF-C points in red true?

This promotional video shows red AF points in AF-C. Is it just marketing?

t=2:37
https://youtu.be/hXrCkCKge9M?t=157

Last edited by gatorguy; 05-15-2021 at 06:38 AM.
05-15-2021, 06:36 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
c.a.m's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,026
QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
This promotional video shows red AF points in AF-C. Is it just marketing?
The original video from Ricoh Imaging indicates in a footnote at that segment that the actual focus position is indicated in black.

- Craig
05-15-2021, 08:48 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Larrymc's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mississippi, USA
Posts: 4,548
QuoteOriginally posted by snappyhoffy Quote
Actually I think this is the 'flaw'... when you select AFC in any mode (including as a USER mode) the red light does not work... is this what others find?
Actually its not a flaw it was designed that way. As has been said the green hexagon confirms focus not the red dots or the squares.

05-15-2021, 08:49 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Larrymc's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mississippi, USA
Posts: 4,548
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
The original video from Ricoh Imaging indicates in a footnote at that segment that the actual focus position is indicated in black.

- Craig
Who reads footnotes??
05-15-2021, 09:12 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Larrymc's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mississippi, USA
Posts: 4,548
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
I'll admit to have got used to the K-70, KP etc. lighting up the focus square that it's using, but, as far as I've been able to ascertain, a lit square doesn't equate to a focus lock, just to where the camera is trying to focus it's the "green hexagon" at the bottom of the screen that confirms lock, which seems to be how the K-3iii works and indeed how the *istDL2 (which doesn't have focus points) works, so it's a concept I've got used to.
On a reasonably static subject, the one more or less equates to the other, so might be misleading, but tracking a bird against a clear sky with my KP using AFC and multi-point focus, it can become reasonably obvious that the red squares are flickering on and off, but the green hexagon isn't lighting when it does is the time to press the shutter
Inevitably - YMMV
There is also the focus confirmation "beep" but it does not operate during AF/C only the green hexagon.
05-16-2021, 08:44 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 101
check here

K3 III - Wish list and 'bug reports' for future firmware updates / upgrades - PentaxForums.com
05-16-2021, 09:36 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 726
didn't want to start a new thread as what i want to ask is sort of related.

Would like to ask k3iii owners, the outline of the AF points, are they always visible in the viewfinder?

It is like the difference between the K-1 and the KP/K70.

In the K-1, the outline of the 'AF squares', always visible in the viewfinder.
In the KP and K70, there is no permanent border outline of the AF squares.

So, wojdering if K-3iii will be sikilar to the K-1 on this aspect.
05-16-2021, 10:24 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Kobie's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Bowmanville
Photos: Albums
Posts: 761
QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
didn't want to start a new thread as what i want to ask is sort of related.

Would like to ask k3iii owners, the outline of the AF points, are they always visible in the viewfinder?

It is like the difference between the K-1 and the KP/K70.

In the K-1, the outline of the 'AF squares', always visible in the viewfinder.
In the KP and K70, there is no permanent border outline of the AF squares.

So, wojdering if K-3iii will be sikilar to the K-1 on this aspect.
Yes, it's the same as K-1 in that regard.
05-16-2021, 10:32 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,011
QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
It is like the difference between the K-1 and the KP/K70.In the K-1, the outline of the 'AF squares', always visible in the viewfinder.In the KP and K70, there is no permanent border outline of the AF squares.
The AF squares and the framing around them are configurable. You can choose to show each or both.
05-16-2021, 02:55 PM   #29
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Central Florida
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,081
It's been really helpful using Live View a few times to better understand what the camera focus is doing. Does a great job of tracking BTW.
05-18-2021, 05:09 PM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
TimR's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 291
Great topic and info, much appreciated!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, afc, aps-c, background, dslr, focus, k-3 iii, k-3 iii af, k-3 mark 3, kp, light, mode, square, time, user
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax k70 no beep sound and red points on the viewfinder Dat le Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 3 01-23-2021 10:33 AM
Pentax K-3 Mark III camera AF points arrangement and internal pictures Pelto Pentax News and Rumors 6 12-11-2020 04:44 AM
K50 no visible AF points in viewfinder telum Visitors' Center 10 12-12-2014 06:57 PM
Can't see through Pentax 645 viewfinder lgunders Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 2 10-13-2014 02:17 PM
K5 viewfinder display of AF points sam_553817 Pentax K-5 & K-5 II 6 02-02-2011 10:57 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:15 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top