Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
06-16-2021, 12:15 PM - 2 Likes   #31

If you go to C2 "Fx Button" and select(program) for some of the buttons "Viewfinder Light" then the AF points are lit in red all the time and just at the moment of focusing are dark. Then are red again automatically.
For some reason it seems to act different than when selected from the menu Vewfinder Display/Viewfinder Light.
This is workable solution for me.

Last edited by mocker; 06-16-2021 at 12:25 PM.
06-16-2021, 08:16 PM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

This is an illuminating (sic) discussion, and informative to boot ..! Hoping to get my own K3iii in the near future, and these early adopter discussions are really great. Thanks for sharing both problems or snafu's encountered, and the work around solutions.
06-16-2021, 08:16 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mocker Quote
If you go to C2 "Fx Button" and select(program) for some of the buttons "Viewfinder Light" then the AF points are lit in red all the time and just at the moment of focusing are dark. Then are red again automatically.
For some reason it seems to act different than when selected from the menu Vewfinder Display/Viewfinder Light.
This is workable solution for me.
And that works for AF.C? So far, all these "solutions" only apply to AF.S.
06-16-2021, 09:20 PM - 1 Like   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
And that works for AF.C? So far, all these "solutions" only apply to AF.S.
Yes, sir! It works for AF.C!

All the AF points are red all the time. AT the moment you press the AF back button they become black and you are still not sure absolutely which AF point was chosen to focus. At the momeny you release the AF button the AF points (group) are red again.

BR!

Last edited by mocker; 06-17-2021 at 03:51 AM. Reason: syntax
07-23-2021, 01:49 AM - 2 Likes   #35
Forum Member

Yesterday I´ve to work with our company Camera – a Canon 6D II. The principle of the AF points and their illumination in the Optical Viewfinder is nearly the same than in the Pentax K3 III:

A Black LC Panel which is lit from the side by red LEDs. The LCD acts like a flat light guide where the Liquid Crystals are the “defects” where the light is coupling out of the light guide. So mostly the black things are lit and the transparent part only glows a little bit.**

That´s enough to see in worse illumination scenarios or dark background. (in my opinion the K7,K5,KP do a better job with dedicated LEDs…but it´s clear that LCD is better for more information…and adding more than 30 LEDs up to 100 could be a little bit to over engineered).

BUT: what was discussed in some discussions: it´s also possible to switch the illumination to ON while in AFC!* I think it was Kobie (or another member), who said, that it could be disturbing when the illumination is flashing while the AF points are “running” cross the Viewfinder….for some people it could be….but for me it was helpful and I hope they will integrate this via firmware in the K3, too. It helps a lot so SEE what happened while tracking the subject.

** my theory: the more you show in the viewfinder (Crop Frame, Lines) the darker the AF points get => the light comes from the side and the more “defects” our outcoupling things you have outside the less light is available for the AF points in the middle
07-23-2021, 02:33 PM - 2 Likes   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I tried the C2 change and its still bad...

Down the rabbit hole this morning...breaking out cameras and making lots of settings changes...all in search of the perfect focus confirmation setting...

(this is all about spot focusing only....getting into the displays for multi spot focusing is beyond the scope of this limited look)

Honestly, the K3III viewfinder is not set up well to aid the user to see WHERE they focused...because, no matter what you do, it does not easily show you WHERE you just auto focused....especially in a dark environment

...this C2 change is a good one, allowing the user to program a RED viewfinder display in a dark environment on command...very nice. Thanks for that tip!...

....but, again, there is no focus confirmation light or square to show you WHERE you focused..

....and, while it has a decently bright red viewfinder display the FIRST time you focus in a dark environment ....the next half shutter press, the red display is much darker and much less useful...(no clue why this is set this way...it has be adjustable in firmware, either at the factory or by a user)

...the best AF confirmation I have seen is in the K1 spot meter setting....a small black box in the middle becomes a slightly larger, much darker, box once focus is achieved...i like that one...it shows focus was achieved and shows WHERE you focused...(if it can be made red on command so you can see the focus point against a dark background...I don't know)

.....However, the nice, easy to see, K1 black box coming on to show the focus point, stays on while the shutter is half pressed...if you move the camera, the focus confirmation box moves but then is no longer indicating WHERE you focused....this should be changed in firmware to be user selectable to make it a momentary confirmation of WHERE you focused, along with the focus confirmation symbol that all the cameras have at the bottom of the viewfinder that stays lit as long as you half press the shutter......

....the best display for spot focusing IMHO with a K3III is the single selectable setting...you get the larger darker black box of the K1, but set up backwards...its always on in the K3 and goes away to confirm focus, exactly the opposite of the K1!

....testing the 645Z, KP and original K3, they all use the same method...a short, bright red, easy to see, momentary confirmation light, at the focus point, that goes away in a second or so.....along with the focus confirmation symbol that all the cameras have at the bottom of the viewfinder that stays lit as long as you half press the shutter...it works well and is reasonably intuitive...unless you are in a dark environment, where its not great to have no clue where to focus until you focus somewhere....

Bottom line is the display options are there on the K3III, it just needs to be tweaked...this is just firmware...that should be easy....

Last edited by rlmartindale; 07-23-2021 at 02:37 PM. Reason: edit
07-29-2021, 09:04 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had remembered the K-1ii focus points being brighter but after comparing both cameras with the same lens it seems the visibility of the focusing aids is very similar. This was true even without turning on the viewfinder light. I suppose we all have different vision so our perception of the illumination will vary.

07-29-2021, 09:28 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rlmartindale Quote
testing the 645Z, KP and original K3, they all use the same method...a short, bright red, easy to see, momentary confirmation light, at the focus point, that goes away in a second or so.....along with the focus confirmation symbol that all the cameras have at the bottom of the viewfinder that stays lit as long as you half press the shutter...it works well and is reasonably intuitive...unless you are in a dark environment, where its not great to have no clue where to focus until you focus somewhere....

Bottom line is the display options are there on the K3III, it just needs to be tweaked...this is just firmware...that should be easy....
I think it has been explained in another thread why there is not a red confirmation dot in the viewfinder of the Mk III and a don't think the Mk III will be able to display the red "pipper dot" because of the viewfinder design. I think if they could have done it that way they would have.
08-02-2021, 12:12 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snappyhoffy Quote
No... now I am worried.. I did have some red light..

I 'RESET' the 'Still View' settings and now get a momentary flash of red light (doesn't stay on) is that correct?

Anyone else out there with same issue?
That is how it works. However, in AF.C it will not flash. The red light only shows when focus is a achieved while using AF.S. I've grown accustomed to how it used to be with Film era Pentax cameras. Pay attention to the green hexagon if you really want to know if it's in focus. I know that doesn't help seeing which AF point is actually being used though.
08-05-2021, 04:22 AM   #40
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
It's been really helpful using Live View a few times to better understand what the camera focus is doing. Does a great job of tracking BTW.
...noting of course that while you're in live view you're using a completely different focusing system (CDAF) than you are when using the OVF (PDAF)....so I'd expect the tracking performance would be different between the two.
08-12-2021, 06:22 AM - 2 Likes   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
1. How difficult are the focus points to see against a dark background and in the dark?
2. Is it possible to change the AF point colour?
1 very difficult to me. The suggestion made to light the viewfinder frame in red (thanks!) helps but not too much: when you focus (AUTO AF.S) everything turns black again for a while, the exact time when you'd like to know where the camera set the focus.
2 no, AFAIK. I'd like to have a red bright little square . Unfortunately I do not think this could even be fixed via firmware (maybe I'm wrong)

Thanks
Danilo
10-12-2021, 10:09 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Of course the viewfinde can be illuminated:
K-3 iii tips and tricks (let's all contribute) - PentaxForums.com