Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2021, 08:28 AM   #1
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Suggestion - Insurance coverage and registration re: theft

just suggesting that members who have invested in the K 3 III

be sure to consider insurance coverage and registration to help recovery in case of theft

I have my camera gear covered by a " personal article " rider through State Farm

and I register my serial number here -

Pentax K-3 III Serial Numbers - Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com

and with a company called Lenstag -

QuoteQuote:
What is Lenstag?
Lenstag is a project with three main goals:
Prevent the resale of stolen cameras, lenses & video equipment.
Significantly reduce the risk of theft.
Maintain the privacy of users and allow pseudonymous ownership.

How much does it cost?
It's free.

How does it work?
Lenstag works like this:
Sign up & add your cameras, lenses & video equipment to your account. It's free!

Verify that you're in possession of each item by uploading a picture from your phone or computer of each item's serial number or something else that shows you own each item (warranty card, etc.).

If an item gets stolen, immediately flag it as such and we'll create a public page to help you get it back.
Bonus feature: if you sell or give an item to someone else, you can transfer the record to them using Lenstag and save the next person from having to re-verify.

Why should I register my gear before it gets stolen?
The first few hours after a theft are absolutely critical to getting the word out & preventing resale of the stolen gear. If your gear is already registered, then you just have to sign in & flag the items as stolen (and optionally provide additional information).

If you wait until after your gear is stolen, you'll have to add the gear, verify it with something else other than a picture of the serial number and wait a day or two for someone at Lenstag to approve the verification request. By then the gear has probably been pawned or sold and the chances of successful recovery are substantially lower. . . .
Lenstag - Free theft protection and monitoring for cameras, lenses and video equipment

since the K 3 III is so new, there is no automatic listing at LensTag, you have to click on the x next to brand slot and fill in the third box with the name: Pentax K 3 III

05-05-2021, 12:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

This sounds good, I need to look into it. Thank you for sharing
05-05-2021, 01:46 AM   #3

Thanks very much, although I'm not planning to go for the K3-III, I'll register my other stuff here. thank you again.
13 Hours Ago   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes, definitely register your serial number here if nothing else.