Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2021, 07:35 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why doesn't Astrotracer use GPS data from a connected phone?

I love the K-3 III so far, but the lack of built-in GPS is a curious and disappointing omission for an otherwise fantastic camera. I'm sure a lot of us would like to geotag our photos, plus I do night sky photography and I want to make use of the Astrotracer function without spending another $200 on an awkward external GPS module. I can still geotag when the camera is connected via Wifi/bluetooth to my phone using the ImageSync app (an easy target for complaints in another thread). GPS does work without an internet connection, since it relies on signals from satellites (although an internet connection can speed it up).

So that made me wonder: If the camera is getting GPS data from my phone, couldn't that be fed into the Astrotracer function? Why can't Astrotracer use that location data?

05-06-2021, 10:48 AM   #2
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by snipes213 Quote
I love the K-3 III so far, but the lack of built-in GPS is a curious and disappointing omission for an otherwise fantastic camera. I'm sure a lot of us would like to geotag our photos, plus I do night sky photography and I want to make use of the Astrotracer function without spending another $200 on an awkward external GPS module. I can still geotag when the camera is connected via Wifi/bluetooth to my phone using the ImageSync app (an easy target for complaints in another thread). GPS does work without an internet connection, since it relies on signals from satellites (although an internet connection can speed it up).

So that made me wonder: If the camera is getting GPS data from my phone, couldn't that be fed into the Astrotracer function? Why can't Astrotracer use that location data?
I believe that there is more than just a GPS in the unit. It also checks the direction your are pointing the camera.
05-06-2021, 10:50 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by snipes213 Quote

The astrotracer needs accurate position, attitude and heading of the camera. It can get position from your phone and attitude from the camera's accelerometers, but it appears the K3iii has no magnetometers (compass) to establish heading. The K-3ii and K-1/K-1ii have all the required sensors built-in, and require the compass function to be calibrated with the lens and tripod mount attached to accurately take account of local magnetic effects before each occasion of being used for astro.

I've used the K-1 a few times in astrotracer mode, and it is a faff to calibrate it with all the tripod bits attached - but the results are good. I can understand why Ricoh/Pentax left the GPS sensor out - it is relatively power hungry and not insignificant size. But the sensors for magnetic field are tiny and low power - maybe they just want to keep a difference between the 'action' and 'landscape' offerings.

Hope that helps.
05-06-2021, 05:04 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That does help. Thanks!