Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2021, 04:35 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-3 III low light AF performance

Can on of the lucky few tell me how good the AF is performing in low light? The K-3 was a huge step up from the K-5 and I' really curious how the new GBA trigger (gear buy addiction trigger aka K-3 III ) works in dim light. I also wonder if all the high ISO performence can be salvaged in a barly bright enough for the human eye luminated festival tent and if all the fancy AF modes are useable under these conditions or if i would need to go back to focus first and compose the shot later? Of course if it even ever happens again that huge crowds find them self packet in a tent to celebrate . Questions upon questions

How long would the K-3 III allow me lets say 1/15 sec shutterspeed?

05-06-2021, 07:55 PM   #2

As you already hinted at- your inquiry regarding K3 III capability in low lighting conditions should primarily involve 3 key aspects:
- AF performance in low light.
- ISO high value performance (which is subjective, so you may wish to evaluate presently available feedback to identify your personal threshold).
- SR shake reduction that has been reported to be notably improved (for which an acceptable shutter speed is influenced by lens focal length, so you may wish to also consider the lens focal lengths that you consider to be applicable for the particular use you have in mind).
05-06-2021, 11:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Brathahn Quote
How long would the K-3 III allow me lets say 1/15 sec shutterspeed?
With how long, I'm guessing you mean up to what focal length? After all it largely depends on the lens you mount as well.

Specs say 5.5 stops, so that's 1/15 > 1/30 > 1/60 > 1/125 > 1/250 > 1/500 > 1/750. On APS-C 1/750 would be the shutter speed advised (using the 1/(f*1.5) rule) for a 500mm lens without SR. So there's your "official" answer: 500mm.

Is that possible in practice? Depends on many other factors. Perhaps it will be sitting down and your arms fixed against your body, but probably not so much standing up on a windy hilltop after an hours long hike up the mountain. Still you might get a few properly stabilised shots in a burst...

Also, it's personal. Not everybody has the same camera holding technique, some shake a bit more than others, etc... I even find that wearing different shoes can make a difference...

Wim
05-07-2021, 12:47 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
With how long, I'm guessing you mean up to what focal length? After all it largely depends on the lens you mount as well.

Specs say 5.5 stops, so that's 1/15 > 1/30 > 1/60 > 1/125 > 1/250 > 1/500 > 1/750. On APS-C 1/750 would be the shutter speed advised (using the 1/(f*1.5) rule) for a 500mm lens without SR. So there's your "official" answer: 500mm.

Is that possible in practice? Depends on many other factors. Perhaps it will be sitting down and your arms fixed against your body, but probably not so much standing up on a windy hilltop after an hours long hike up the mountain. Still you might get a few properly stabilised shots in a burst...

Also, it's personal. Not everybody has the same camera holding technique, some shake a bit more than others, etc... I even find that wearing different shoes can make a difference...

Wim
I didnt realise just what an effect this has on shutter speed, thanks for making it so clear... I struggle to appreciate how this can be so effective.

05-07-2021, 01:27 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote

Wim
With how long i mean how much can the light drop befor the AF starts to struggle.
I'm not hiking with it but i used to (before the pandemic hit) take pictures at festivities (think of it as a small Oktoberfest that every small town/village celebrates here) and found that with 1/15 the motion blur is not to bad yet and i still can manage to hold steady enough for the SR to work just fine. The longest lense i use is 70mm but most likely it would be 30 or 50mm. If i did that with a 500mm lense I would soon become one machine of a man

The light there was awefull looking but it is what it is.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo