Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
05-08-2021, 11:05 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
With the D-BC177, the charging speed can be controlled indirectly by the current of your USB power supply. Like with this one:
Test of Voltbot
I know this has been discussed at length, but I have not kept up on it. Has any confirmed that the D-BC177 will do so?

Steve

05-10-2021, 06:30 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've been charging a few extra batteries in anticipation of the arrival of my K-3 III. No word yet, but I thought I might just do it already anyway...

I'm doing so with one of the D-BC90 chargers that came with my K-3 IIs. I generally do so during the night while travelling, and now that I am sitting next to it charging, I realize how long it takes.

No doubt here anymore. I'm getting the new charger, to be charged to my own power adapter/power bank. And even if that will be a bit slower than the version with adapter, I'm sure the difference will be worth it.
05-24-2021, 04:46 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MrNPhoto Quote
I purchased the D-BC177 Travel Charger.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1608548-REG/pentax_37871_d_bc177_trav...981&

The K-3 iii comes with a USB power adapter, which can plug into the camera or into the Travel Charger.
I like the idea of a USB-C battery charger as I've got lots of USB chargers and cables and a portable USB-C battery, so it will always be easy to find some way to charge the Pentax battery.
I haven't tried the K3iii grip yet, but I'm curious if the USB charger will charge both batteries when the grip is installed?
05-24-2021, 04:56 AM   #19
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I haven't tried the K3iii grip yet, but I'm curious if the USB charger will charge both batteries when the grip is installed?
I haven't tried using the camera charging system but the answer is Yes

look at p. 40 of the manual under " Memo "

****** you can set which battery is to be charged first, in camera or grip ********

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-24-2021 at 05:01 AM.
05-24-2021, 06:19 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I haven't tried using the camera charging system but the answer is Yes. look at p. 40 of the manual under " Memo " ****** you can set which battery is to be charged first, in camera or grip ********
Thanks! Hopefully I'll get the chance to try the grip this week and see how it behaves with the two batteries.
05-24-2021, 11:35 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
****** you can set which battery is to be charged first, in camera or grip ********
Nice!!
05-25-2021, 03:37 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I imagine that I will be using the USB-c cable for everyday charging, and keep my K3 charger + batteries as backups.

Are there any drawbacks to charging via cable, apart for time?

05-25-2021, 04:36 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote
I imagine that I will be using the USB-c cable for everyday charging, and keep my K3 charger + batteries as backups.

The main thing would be to ensure that you're only plugging in your USB-C cable to something that is on a good-quality surge protector. A power surge that fries an easily-replaced battery or charger isn't too bad. One that takes out a new camera would be sad.
05-31-2021, 10:22 PM   #24
Forum Member

Is there a way to use an external power supply instead of a battery for the pentax K3iii.
If connecting the usb cable, it starts charching the battery, but it stops when putting on the camera.
I need it for stacking big amounts of pictures, sometimes more than one battery can cover.
Is the pentax ac adapter K-AC166 a solution?

Last edited by neme-q; 05-31-2021 at 11:14 PM.
06-01-2021, 05:51 AM   #25
Veteran Member

That appears to be what it’s designed for.
06-01-2021, 06:14 AM   #26
sbc
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclack Quote
Hi! The K3iii came with only 1 (one) battery, so I will buy another one soon. I fully realized that Pentax does not include a battery charger, so I need one now.

If any of you would be so kind as to direct me to a website and charger (single is ok, double is fine), that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
I am using this now. Works well.

D LI90 D LI90P LCD Dual Battery Charger for PENTAX 645Z 645D K 1 Mark II K 3II K 5IIs K 7 K 01 K1 K3 K5 K7 Camera Replace D BC90|Camera Charger| - AliExpress
06-01-2021, 09:31 AM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote
I learned yesterday that there may be some issues depending on quality of USB-C cable if one is going from a non-USB-C wall-wart using a Type-A to USB-C cable. Not all have the appropriate resistor to signal the USB-C device to not demand too much current. The result may be a melted cable and/or damage to the wart/charger/camera.

Steve
03-21-2024, 06:29 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am always reluctant to charge my camera batteries in the camera. Lithium-ion batteries at times can swell, even the expensive ones, making them hard to remove. Also, lithium batteries do from time to time go up in flame So I charge in an external charger, I have a two-bay one and usually keep 4 charged at a time. I may buy the AC adapter, 2 of them. One to use as intended and the other to splice on a connector to use my Quantum Turbo 2 battery pack. I use that battery pack on all of my other digital cameras and flashes. Gives me great use time and helps in cold weather.
Herb
03-22-2024, 03:17 AM   #29
Forum Member

I use a third party charger that charges two batteries at the same time. It also has the option for charging with various USB connectors.
03-22-2024, 06:44 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ilpostino Quote
I use a third party charger that charges two batteries at the same time. It also has the option for charging with various USB connectors.
Newmowa charger?