Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
05-06-2021, 05:12 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
What battery charger is recommended for the K3iii battery?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi! The K3iii came with only 1 (one) battery, so I will buy another one soon. I fully realized that Pentax does not include a battery charger, so I need one now.

If any of you would be so kind as to direct me to a website and charger (single is ok, double is fine), that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

05-06-2021, 05:25 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I purchased the D-BC177 Travel Charger.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1608548-REG/pentax_37871_d_bc177_trav...981&

The K-3 iii comes with a USB power adapter, which can plug into the camera or into the Travel Charger.
I like the idea of a USB-C battery charger as I've got lots of USB chargers and cables and a portable USB-C battery, so it will always be easy to find some way to charge the Pentax battery.
05-06-2021, 05:41 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think the new Pentax one has something like half the recharge time, ClickClack, and worth buying over the one for the K-3.
05-06-2021, 06:20 PM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
these set ups will work

QuoteQuote:
Description:
Charger D-BC90 for charging D-LI90 batteries used in the Pentax K-3, K-5, K-7, K-01, and 645D.
Read more at: Pentax D-BC90 Battery Charger (for D-LI90 batteries) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

and this as well
QuoteQuote:
Description:
Includes D-BC90 charger and a country-specific power cord. Included with the camera.
Read more at: Pentax K-BC90 Battery Charger Kit (for D-LI90) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

QuoteQuote:
description:
AC/DC Rapid Battery Charger
Dual Universal Voltage 100-240V
LED Charging indicator
Convenient Fold out Prongs On Rear of Unit
With Vehicle Cigarette Lighter Adapter (12v)
Read more at: Adorama PT-44 AC/DC Rapid 8.4 volt Battery Charger for Pentax D-Li90 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

and I presume there are other third party charger around

05-07-2021, 01:51 AM   #5

is there a "universal" charger for Pentax batteries with some manual control over charging current/ speed? I'm using the official one now but back in AA-basket days loved to have the extra control
05-07-2021, 04:34 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I'm using the D-BC90 that came with my K-5 … not suggesting you should buy a K-5, but that'll give you a number to search for if looking second-hand
05-07-2021, 04:39 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chriswill Quote
is there a "universal" charger for Pentax batteries with some manual control over charging current/ speed? I'm using the official one now but back in AA-basket days loved to have the extra control
Manual control over battery charging speed and/or current? I've never heard of such a thing, and I'm really curious as to what process/calculations users would go through to pick what speed/levels to use. And if there was even a small, theoretical benefit over the manufacturer choosing levels that are a reasonable balance between charging speed and battery life.

05-07-2021, 05:44 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Manual control over battery charging speed and/or current? I've never heard of such a thing
It's not uncommon. It is said that rapid charging leads to shorter battery life overall. That may be true, but who knows how much it means in real life? Generally, I have found that Pentax chargers are usually slower than aftermarket chargers for the same batteries. I tend to use Pentax chargers at home, and aftermarket when traveling, though not only for speed, but for added versatility like car charging.
05-07-2021, 06:00 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
I tend to use Pentax chargers at home, and aftermarket when traveling, though not only for speed, but for added versatility like car charging.
Any particular make/model ? I've often wanted one for the car, and I haven't seen much on the D-BC177, so am curious which third party unit you like.
05-07-2021, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
It's not uncommon. It is said that rapid charging leads to shorter battery life overall. That may be true, but who knows how much it means in real life? Generally, I have found that Pentax chargers are usually slower than aftermarket chargers for the same batteries. I tend to use Pentax chargers at home, and aftermarket when traveling, though not only for speed, but for added versatility like car charging.
I'm aware that rapid charging may have a negative effect on battery life. But I'm still curious as to how a manual knob controlling current would be used in any kind of rational way. Is the charger going to come with booklet with a series of curves that show the anticipated trade-off between charging speed and battery life under a variety of temperatures and other conditions?

I think this would be a case where giving the end user control might make a) the technically-minded feel better but have almost no actual impact, b) confuse those who just don't care, resulting in most people setting to an almost random value.
05-07-2021, 10:52 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Get the USB-C charger (D-BC177)
Use it with the (included with camera) USB-C power adapter for slow charging, or with the Power Delivery-capable USB-C power brick for rapid charging.
Problem solved.
05-07-2021, 10:58 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
Any particular make/model ? I've often wanted one for the car, and I haven't seen much on the D-BC177, so am curious which third party unit you like.
I use a DSTE charger I found on Amazon, but it's for KP batteries. I don't have a K3/3, yet.
05-07-2021, 03:12 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Not that I am aware of...

Steve
05-08-2021, 12:45 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Manual control over battery charging speed and/or current? I've never heard of such a thing, and I'm really curious as to what process/calculations users would go through to pick what speed/levels to use. And if there was even a small, theoretical benefit over the manufacturer choosing levels that are a reasonable balance between charging speed and battery life.
I'm by no means an expert. When I first heard of eneloops a decade (?) ago, it was in a forum post here or in a Polish Pentax community that also gave some basic maths (definitely no rocket science) and I bought my first set together with a charger similar to this one Technoline BL700N Intelligent AA-AAA battery charger: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics In short, I mostly used it at 200mA setting but sometimes bump it higher when I need to charge more batteries faster.
05-08-2021, 05:16 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

With the D-BC177, the charging speed can be controlled indirectly by the current of your USB power supply. Like with this one:
Test of Voltbot

QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
There's a dedicated thread for the D-BC177:
New Ricoh Charger - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com