Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2021, 06:16 PM - 8 Likes   #1

Photos: Gallery
Why I chose Pentax and the K3iii in particular

Hi!
I might be preaching to the choir, but here is my story re the title line.

I started photographing in 1964 (yup, I'm an old guy) and haven't stopped to this day. That makes for 55+ years making pictures. At that time, film was the only option, so I saved my money and bought a Rolie Twin Lens Reflex (TLR) camera and used a Weston Silicone Light Meter. Thus began my love of photography. Later, I migrated to a Nikon FM and then a FM2, and further on to a F3. The first SLR w/a meter in the mirror was my TOPCON SUPER DM. It was a fabulous camera that eventually was stolen. I also used an Olympus OM-1, which gave me great shots in Japan. Then there was the Contax N1 film camera which I coupled with a Zeiss 400mm f 4.0, (I bought it for 1/2 price, which was $2k at that time. Unbelievable, esp. now) which I still have today! I have an adapter for it to use on my EX-3. I will get one for the K3iii. My first digital camera was a Fujifilm FinePix F30 with 6.3mp. Got it in 2007 and photographed the deep Southwest. It was incredible then and can still hold its own today. Then came my Canon 5D MK III w/ typical lenses. Terrific coloring, abysmal AF. HEAVY! Finally sold that and bought a Fujifilm XH-1. Awesome camera but too many quirks. Sold it, kept 2 zooms of high quality. EX-3 came next and I will keep it, but it is a compromised camera.

Now, I have a Pentax with a pentaprism. You see, I had several SLRs w/pentaprisms and loved the real, live view. The digitals I had were mirrorless and the views produced have NEVER lived up to a pentaprism's view. I cannot tell you enough just how happy I am now that I'm using an OVF once again. I will never go to EVF. Never. So, here's to Pentax taking a gamble that there are enough of us out there who want OVFs. Go For It, I say...

Turned out to be a long diatribe, so I thank-you for your patience if you read this letter to you.

05-06-2021, 06:32 PM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
very nice

looking forward to whatever contributions you choose to make to the forums
05-06-2021, 07:37 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A nice read. Thanks for taking the time to share. It was enjoyed.
05-07-2021, 01:43 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclack Quote
Hi!

{snip - because everyone can read it above}

Turned out to be a long diatribe, so I thank-you for your patience if you read this letter to you.
Really glad to read it (even if my experience is quite opposite). Were snapping photos for about half the time you had. Never cared much about gear and can't even name my Pentaxes without looking at the exifs, remembering what film was in what camera - apart from my dad's rangefinder Fed-3 (you always remember your first) is a lost cause. It's a Pentax forum so I'm not sure if I really want to ask why EX-3 is compromised. Before I gave up on film SLRs I had a Minolta with a tiny EVF and didn't care for it much, but had enough fun with digital photos to eventually go for DSLRs. Then probably most of the time had some pocketable compact and shot it with a screen live view (which I never got into using on a DSLR). For about 6 months now I've been playing around with an old x-t10 I got as bargain pretty much on a whim and I really enjoy it's EVF (especially for zoom-to-focus with manual lenses - but it's not the only reason). It feels right. I can't quite pinpoint why (that's partly why I'm writing this - talking to people with different experience/ view is my favourite way to learn/ understand something). My best guess at the moment is that with OVF I stay in the scene longer (I'm holding a camera but still seeing the real world), with EVF I'm seeing the photo earlier (still just holding a camera and standing in front of my subject but already - in my head - in the digital process). I probably print only 2-3% of the photos I share online so most of the time they remain digital forever (well, as long as the cloud is there) but seeing the difference between the two, can't really say I'd be able to chose EVF over OVF (or the other way round). You seem to be pretty much sure what's better for you. How did you get there?

05-07-2021, 02:38 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclack Quote
Hi!

I started photographing in 1964 (yup, I'm an old guy) and haven't stopped to this day. That makes for 55+ years making pictures. At that time, film was the only option, so I saved my money and bought a Rolie Twin Lens Reflex (TLR) camera and used a Weston Silicone Light Meter. Thus began my love of photography. Later, I migrated to a Nikon FM and then a FM2, and further on to a F3. The first SLR w/a meter in the mirror was my TOPCON SUPER DM. It was a fabulous camera that eventually was stolen. I also used an Olympus OM-1, which gave me great shots in Japan. Then there was the Contax N1 film camera which I coupled with a Zeiss 400mm f 4.0, (I bought it for 1/2 price, which was $2k at that time. Unbelievable, esp. now) which I still have today! I have an adapter for it to use on my EX-3. I will get one for the K3iii. My first digital camera was a Fujifilm FinePix F30 with 6.3mp. Got it in 2007 and photographed the deep Southwest. It was incredible then and can still hold its own today. Then came my Canon 5D MK III w/ typical lenses. Terrific coloring, abysmal AF. HEAVY! Finally sold that and bought a Fujifilm XH-1. Awesome camera but too many quirks. Sold it, kept 2 zooms of high quality. EX-3 came next and I will keep it, but it is a compromised camera.

Now, I have a Pentax with a pentaprism. You see, I had several SLRs w/pentaprisms and loved the real, live view. The digitals I had were mirrorless and the views produced have NEVER lived up to a pentaprism's view. I cannot tell you enough just how happy I am now that I'm using an OVF once again. I will never go to EVF. Never. So, here's to Pentax taking a gamble that there are enough of us out there who want OVFs. Go For It, I say...

Thanks for sharing your story and welcome to the forum.
05-07-2021, 04:43 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Welcome to Pentaxland!
Using a good OVF with a fast lens is certainly a joy, and the K3iii just makes that even better.
Plus Pentax, along with Fuji, are the only companies that fleshed out their APS-C lens range. Watch out for those limited lenses though, buying them is addictive!
05-07-2021, 05:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great story clickclack.
It's always fascinating to hear people's photographic journeys with different systems.

Look forward to your contributions on the forum.
05-08-2021, 06:24 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome and congrats on the new camera. I hope you will like it and give it some time for it to grow on you.
I do admire people who are brave enough to do so many system changes. I couldn't, but I'm happy enough to go with the Pentax flow and have done so for over 30 years.
Enjoy your gear and let us know your findings. It's always interesting to hear the impressions of someone less ingrained in the Pentax way of doing things.