Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
05-13-2021, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #31
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlhawes Quote
Ok, maybe not a software problem, but the way the SDM lenses seem to fail over extended periods of time, whatever power amplifier circuitry is in the cameras (both K-1 and KP in my experience) must be what's actually failing over time. I've got a DA* 55mm SDM that I sent back under warranty and Precision purportedly fixed it, but now that same lens is getting cranky again, and it works the same way on both cameras. That's the first good reason I've come across that persuades me that it may be worth it to buy a K3-iii (when the KP dies or the prices come down dramatically).
You might try renting one, when or if that becomes an option, to verify your lens focus performance.

05-13-2021, 03:45 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
You might try renting one, when or if that becomes an option, to verify your lens focus performance.
I used the *55 quite a bit on Sunday and noticed that the AF consistently worked, which has not always been the case. All three copies of it that I've owned have been prone to lagginess after going unused a few weeks. I know that lens hadn't been on a camera since back in January so perhaps the new K3 is better at pushing the SDM. Over the weekend I'll try it on both cameras.
05-13-2021, 08:09 PM   #33

I tested my 31mm Limited today so I am going to put the 50-135 on tomorrow and test the SDM and focusing speed and I'll report back the results. The 31 did really good btw.
05-17-2021, 03:47 AM   #34
Pentaxian

more current?

11-05-2021, 12:39 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any experiences with the SDM speed of DA* 300mm ?
11-05-2021, 04:30 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Found the DA*300 worked well for me..
11-08-2021, 06:41 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I've been given field level access to a local D3 college through a sports blog that covers their sports. Below is a link to some photos with the K3iii and DA*300 from this past weekend. I only shot until halftime since I headed over for their volleyball finals.

The K3iii's autofocus doesn't disappoint. I have experienced quite a few where the player is running towards me and it can keep focus with a burst of shots. I'm still learning how it works, but I'm a happy camper.

The wider shots are taken with another K3iii body with the new 16-50. I just acquired it last week and did a basketball game with it last night and it did pretty good.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15I27l37kQQah8kmwxoieZgBm9e0uJDOE&authuser=...m&usp=drive_fs

11-08-2021, 10:33 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rtmarwitz Quote
I've been given field level access to a local D3 college through a sports blog that covers their sports. Below is a link to some photos with the K3iii and DA*300 from this past weekend. I only shot until halftime since I headed over for their volleyball finals.

The K3iii's autofocus doesn't disappoint. I have experienced quite a few where the player is running towards me and it can keep focus with a burst of shots. I'm still learning how it works, but I'm a happy camper.

The wider shots are taken with another K3iii body with the new 16-50. I just acquired it last week and did a basketball game with it last night and it did pretty good.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15I27l37kQQah8kmwxoieZgBm9e0uJDOE&authuser=...m&usp=drive_fs
Really nice series. Love the facemask evidence in there too. Hope it was called LOL
11-08-2021, 04:18 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Love the facemask evidence in there too
No facemask call...there was a lot to look at in that shot, but the facemask definitely stands out.

thanks!, I have done many high school level sports events and have done 8 football games at college level this season. I still learn in each outing and try new settings each time out. The football team should go deep into the playoffs, so plenty more opportunity.

The new challenge is volleyball, much more difficult than football or basketball since you don't know who is receiving the ball. I'm using the DA*200 and the new 16-50 shooting from four or five areas around the gym. After three matches just starting to get the hang of it, but will have to wait until next year to go at it again.
11-24-2021, 03:18 AM - 2 Likes   #40

I recently bought a 50-135 SDM and when trying it out in the shop on the K7 it had been traded in with, found the slow startup to be an issue and almost didnt purchase it until I later tried it with my K3iii, wow what a difference that made to its 'startup'
12-11-2021, 05:23 AM - 2 Likes   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's ALIVE...

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
My guess is the new camera has the ability to provide more voltage or current to the old SDM lenses to force a stuck piezo motor to move. It's probably whatever amplifier circuit that is in the camera is more robust. Pentax has had a lot of time to develop ways to understand this problem and ways to mitigate it.

As a curious experiment, it would be interesting to get a truly "dead" SDM lens and give it a whirl on the K3III and see if it wakes up.

Maybe @Uncle Vanya could do it next time he gets a dead lens to convert; assuming he's getting the K3III, that is.
For years, my 'old" DA*55/1.4 SDM's AF has been dead on my K-3 II & K-1 MkII (GRRR ). So I've tended to avoid its use and when I did give it a 'try', I used it like a manual focus lens.

------

Enter K-3 III...

Mount the 55/1.4... camera ON... in OVF, using back-button (BB), AF = DEAD!
Camera OFF.
Change to LV... camera ON... in LV, using BB, AF = DEAD!
Again, in LV, using touchscreen AF... the lens responds with a slight wiggle, then comes fully ALIVE .
Return to OVF, hit BB AF... again, it's ALIVE!

Its AF now behaves LIKE NEW... Touchscreen AND BB!

Removed the lens from the K-3 III... remounted it on my K-1 MkII... camera ON... hit BB for AF... BINGO... it's ALIVE!
-----

Say what you will about the K-3 III being overpriced, I don't know what happened, but I now have a refreshed 'like new' $645.00 lens, and it saved me a ton of hassle.

Cheers and enjoy the season... M
12-11-2021, 06:32 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
just magic.......
12-11-2021, 07:03 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great story, Michaelina2! This has always been one of my favorite Pentax APS-C lenses. The images are often exceptional.
01-12-2022, 01:02 PM   #44
Pentaxian

I flashed back the firmware on my 50-135 and 16-50 to see if SDM would magically wake up with the new K3-3 and no dice. It's been dead too long
01-16-2022, 05:47 AM - 1 Like   #45
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
For years, my 'old" DA*55/1.4 SDM's AF has been dead on my K-3 II & K-1 MkII (GRRR ). So I've tended to avoid its use and when I did give it a 'try', I used it like a manual focus lens.

------

Enter K-3 III...

Mount the 55/1.4... camera ON... in OVF, using back-button (BB), AF = DEAD!
Camera OFF.
Change to LV... camera ON... in LV, using BB, AF = DEAD!
Again, in LV, using touchscreen AF... the lens responds with a slight wiggle, then comes fully ALIVE .
Return to OVF, hit BB AF... again, it's ALIVE!

Its AF now behaves LIKE NEW... Touchscreen AND BB!

Removed the lens from the K-3 III... remounted it on my K-1 MkII... camera ON... hit BB for AF... BINGO... it's ALIVE!
-----

Say what you will about the K-3 III being overpriced, I don't know what happened, but I now have a refreshed 'like new' $645.00 lens, and it saved me a ton of hassle.

Cheers and enjoy the season... M
I saw your post and dug out my own "failed SDM" copy of the *55. As soon as I tried it I noticed a slight pulse when pressing AF. and pressing the button several times more continued getting a small lens pulse. So I manually focused it a few times and continued with AF presses and suddenly it came alive! Spotty at first but after a few minutes it became perfectly consistent. Picked it up this morning and it's still reliably auto-focusing. Yup, the K3III dragged it back from the dead.