Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
01-16-2022, 08:12 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
...Yup, the K3III dragged it back from the dead.
It's great to be back on the road to sainthood... eh?

Cheers and enjoy the season... M

05-06-2022, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #47
Forum Member

Oh crap, it worked!
I've attached my 50-135 wchich was getting slow, played with it in live wiev and the AF is now quite a bit faster!
I've also tried my screwdrive 16-50(after loading original rom) and after 15 minutes SDM is working again, will have to check again later if its focusing correctly tho as I converted it because it was getting slow and was often not working and not locking focus.

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
For years, my 'old" DA*55/1.4 SDM's AF has been dead on my K-3 II & K-1 MkII (GRRR ). So I've tended to avoid its use and when I did give it a 'try', I used it like a manual focus lens.

------

Enter K-3 III...

Mount the 55/1.4... camera ON... in OVF, using back-button (BB), AF = DEAD!
Camera OFF.
Change to LV... camera ON... in LV, using BB, AF = DEAD!
Again, in LV, using touchscreen AF... the lens responds with a slight wiggle, then comes fully ALIVE .
Return to OVF, hit BB AF... again, it's ALIVE!

Its AF now behaves LIKE NEW... Touchscreen AND BB!

Removed the lens from the K-3 III... remounted it on my K-1 MkII... camera ON... hit BB for AF... BINGO... it's ALIVE!
-----

Say what you will about the K-3 III being overpriced, I don't know what happened, but I now have a refreshed 'like new' $645.00 lens, and it saved me a ton of hassle.

Cheers and enjoy the season... M
05-07-2022, 04:27 AM - 3 Likes   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Settesz Quote
Oh crap, it worked!
I've attached my 50-135 wchich was getting slow, played with it in live wiev and the AF is now quite a bit faster!
Definitely something to it. At first I thought it was just a bit better, but the more I used it on the K-3iii the better it would perform.

For me the 50-135 was reserved for portrait and some formal event work. Even then autofocus was dreadful on other bodies. It now is permanently locked on to one of my K-3iii bodies and is used for sports. I can't wait until football season to use it as a secondary to the DA*300 or maybe I'll get the 150-450 before then...i've been looking at it at least once a week now.

05-07-2022, 08:43 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rtmarwitz Quote
Definitely something to it. At first I thought it was just a bit better, but the more I used it on the K-3iii the better it would perform.

For me the 50-135 was reserved for portrait and some formal event work. Even then autofocus was dreadful on other bodies. It now is permanently locked on to one of my K-3iii bodies and is used for sports. I can't wait until football season to use it as a secondary to the DA*300 or maybe I'll get the 150-450 before then...i've been looking at it at least once a week now.
Great set of shots!

06-25-2022, 05:14 AM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Great set of shots!
Thank you! Aside from the 50-135 conversation. he K-3iii has been an absolute joy to use and for what I do fits the bill! I would say the only thing I miss is the screen tilt up/down for overhead shots and shots from the ground. I have found that I do that for quite a few shots.
06-28-2022, 03:51 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
I wonder how mine will do. I've converted it to screw drive after its second SDM failure. Anyone tested screw drive converted DA* lenses yet?
I use on the K-3iii my HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED WR Lens for mid range zoom work. On the K-3iii compared to the K-3, the hit rate for sharp images of oncoming cars at motorway speeds is much better, near 100%, in AF-C mode. For the K-3, sometimes it didn't quite keep pace with the oncoming vehicle - fine for panning shots. For my DA 35mm F2.4 AL Lens, focus lock-on is virtually instantaneous. Again for my HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW Lens, focus lock on in all situations is virtually instantaneous, complete with eye tracking for birds in flight. The K-3iii is now a great action camera. I hope this is useful.
06-28-2022, 07:47 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Robert N Quote
I use on the K-3iii my HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED WR Lens for mid range zoom work. On the K-3iii compared to the K-3, the hit rate for sharp images of oncoming cars at motorway speeds is much better, near 100%, in AF-C mode. For the K-3, sometimes it didn't quite keep pace with the oncoming vehicle - fine for panning shots. For my DA 35mm F2.4 AL Lens, focus lock-on is virtually instantaneous. Again for my HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW Lens, focus lock on in all situations is virtually instantaneous, complete with eye tracking for birds in flight. The K-3iii is now a great action camera. I hope this is useful.
Thanks! In the mean time my K-3 mark III has been put through the testing mill quite seriously. I'm just back from two weeks in Iceland. Though most action (wildlife) photography was done with the DFA150-450, AF on the screw drive converted DA*50-135 performed really well.

As usual I got a lot of weird looks when I continued shooting in heavy rain while everybody else started panicking and putting away or trying to shield their gear from the elements. Some actually pointed out that I should take more care of my stuff. I laughed it off saying "this is a Pentax, it can take it", and happily continued knowing I would be alright, and I was of course. Happy days!

grtz, Wim

08-04-2022, 01:23 PM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just a quick shout out: how are the awakened lenses doing? Have they continued to work off the k3iii on other bodies, have they continued working just as well on the k3iii at this point?

---------- Post added 08-04-22 at 04:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
As a curious experiment, it would be interesting to get a truly "dead" SDM lens and give it a whirl on the K3III and see if it wakes up.

Maybe @Uncle Vanya could do it next time he gets a dead lens to convert; assuming he's getting the K3III, that is.
I never saw the call out since my forum name lacks the space inserted. That’s an interesting question. I don’t currently have a k3iii and don’t have the cash to splurge on one. I’d also be concerned about how long the newly awakened lens would remain awake for a user who woke it with a k3iii but didn’t have regular use on a k3iii. The 60-250 17-70 and 55 are the lenses this really helps the most as those can’t be converted to screw drive.
08-05-2022, 04:14 PM   #54

I have tried the miracle procedure but to no avail with my DA*16-50mm f/2.8 SDM. As I considered the SDM motor death, I converted the lens some time ago to screwdriver mode. Hearing all those miracle stories I reprogrammed the lens for use in SDM mode. Indeed after a couple of tries it worked but still struggled between 10ft and infinity. I massaged the lens for about a week, it got better and could use the lens for a session, a couple of hours later it was the same story. In the past the SDM motor was completely stuck, so there is an improvement. After massaging I transferred the lens to my K5ii with the same results. In my case it did not work reliably. I finally decided to ship the lens to Nikken France (authorized repair Europe) and they replaced the motor as checked the lens for around 300€ vat included. Perhaps fairly expensive. With the new SDM motor the lens was noticeably faster in focus speed at closer distances and raced to infinity without problems.

Although I have the PLM version of this lens I still use it on my K5 bodies and in some cases on my K3iii as it is more compact than the newer version. Perhaps not as fast and not optically the greatest but good enough for most of my needs.
Of course results will vary depending how worn out the SDM motor is.
Perhaps as @UncleVanya suggested it would be great to hear long term results from other members.
08-09-2022, 06:03 PM - 4 Likes   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
This sounds encouraging as I have the 60-250 and wondered if its performance might improve K-3iii mounted.
I've been extremely happy with my DA* 60-250mm on my K-3 III. I have it mounted on my Pentax HD 1.4X teleconverter. This is crop of a shot taken at 350mm at a distance of about 3100' (945m).

04-02-2023, 02:28 PM   #56

I know this thread is old, but I just got a K3 iii. I tried out my da*16-50 which is on its 2nd SDM motor and is very cranky getting started focusing even if not used for a a day or two and after putting it on my new K3 iii it can to life after just a few tries of getting it to focus an now it seems to come to life immediately after mounting it on the camera even if not used for several days. Also mounted both my my DA 300mm and DA 50-135mm and both came to life immediately after not using them both for over a month. Overall these lenses appear to lock focus quicker now. I had been thinkging about getting the new 16-50 PLM, but don't see the need now. I would be interested to hear updates from others who have longer-term use of the cameral with older SDM lenses. Are they continuing to work well?
04-17-2023, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #57

I just posted in another thread that the K3 III just revived my "dead" Sigma 120-400.... Focused stopped working on K1 II and K3 II - but came back today on my K3 III. Really pretty fascinating as I had totally given up on that lens!!!
04-17-2023, 07:27 PM   #58

QuoteOriginally posted by jcsnyc Quote
I just posted in another thread that the K3 III just revived my "dead" Sigma 120-400.... Focused stopped working on K1 II and K3 II - but came back today on my K3 III. Really pretty fascinating as I had totally given up on that lens!!!
I guess there is something mystical about the K3 III