Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2021, 07:22 PM - 2 Likes   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Has anyone done a test of multiple short bursts? I only ever do single shot but I'm curious how it fares when you fill half the buffer wait a second or two and fill half again.
Yes, Sunday was my trial day against a 7D MK II. I shot 556 images and only filled the buffer once or twice on high for an approximate delay of 1 second,+ or -. It cleared the buffer quick enough I did not lose focus on my other targets. 7D, about the same results with buffer, I thought both cameras did great. And yes I did lower the burst rate, after about 200 shots, too many duplicates.... never filled the buffer after that.

05-10-2021, 09:25 PM - 1 Like   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
After several years using my K1 on the DFA 150-450.... I've recently been playing with the KP on it whilst I await the delivery of my K3III..... anyway.... I was only thinking that there are too many duplicates with the KP..... so it is all relative so it appears.

I do think the K3III high speed setting will be required when I investigate who eats the chocolate I bring home..... it disappears almost instantaneously....
05-11-2021, 02:13 AM   #78
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Signs point to the D500 as having been discontinued, out of stock for a very long time now. My guess is anything from Nikon going forward will be mirrorless with new lenses being marketed for them.
I don't think Nikon will discontinue the D500. I'm guessing they have had the same sort of supply chain issues that Pentax had with different parts. Nikon's only APS-C mirrorless is the Z50, not? And that is a very different sort of camera from the D500 and until they had a higher end MILC APS-C camera I wouldn't think they would stop it.
05-11-2021, 07:11 AM   #79
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't think Nikon will discontinue the D500. I'm guessing they have had the same sort of supply chain issues that Pentax had with different parts. Nikon's only APS-C mirrorless is the Z50, not? And that is a very different sort of camera from the D500 and until they had a higher end MILC APS-C camera I wouldn't think they would stop it.
Or they’re going to surprise their dslr faithful with a D500 upgrade. Seems like D850 update will be released sometime this or next year, so a D500 upgrade would not be wholly unexpected, but at what price.

05-11-2021, 07:22 AM   #80
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Seattle office just posted a set of K3iii pictures, along with a nice description of the camera. Looking forward to their full review.
05-11-2021, 11:05 AM   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
The Seattle office just posted a set of K3iii pictures, along with a nice description of the camera. Looking forward to their full review.
Yep, hopefully it will be soonTM... and they'll be fair.
05-11-2021, 11:45 AM   #82
Pentaxian

About the galleries. The 16-85 looks like a pretty dubious quality lens from those examples.

05-11-2021, 01:03 PM   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
About the galleries. The 16-85 looks like a pretty dubious quality lens from those examples.

Well, I don't see anything that I find particularly surprising, given the humdrum settings chosen and the level of involvement exhibited by the photographers. A good-copy DA16-85 should be a capable lens, and to me at least, nothing indicates that they used a lemmon. IMO, Chris did a markedly better job of coming up with a couple of decent-enough 16-85 shots in the video.
05-11-2021, 02:13 PM - 3 Likes   #84
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
And again, the buffer is completely fine as is. I have yet to see anyone give a realistic example of a situation where a larger buffer than what the K-3 iii has is truly helpful. The most common remark those of us who actually have the camera have made about continuous shooting is that AF.C is so good and continuous high is so fast that we’re getting more images than we want/need and aren’t even touching the max buffer size.
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I know some folks online - and they make truly wonderful wildlife photos - who basically machine-gun their cameras. I think that is becoming a standard technique for wildlife shooting, not so much waiting for the "decisive moment".
"machine-gun their cameras"? Hey, I resemble that remark!

The reason burst shooting has been standard technique for wildlife is because it's effective. If one waits for the decisive moment, they'll miss it. As mtkeller alludes, most "machine gunners" use short bursts when they anticipate a decisive moment is happening. It's uncommon to miss something spectacular because of a full buffer. That's reality. It's not new to digital either. Wildlife photographers were using motor drives and 250+ exp film backs since they became available. Now, with digital, more people have access to the technique, and it doesn't cost a fortune in film and processing either.

It's the nature of internet discourse for nuanced information to be condensed, regurgitated and simplified until only a conclusion remains. Prediction:- Camera A is capable of taking x shots before the buffer is full. Camera B can take x + y. That's valid, but assuming for discussion that 99.9 percent of the time, bursts are fewer than 1/3x frames, it hardly matters. But this becomes a decision point: A's buffer is inferior to B's. And eventually it becomes: A's buffer sucks.

I've watched it happen with battery capacity. A camera using a battery with capacity of ~400 shots is terrible because it's half the capacity of a competitor. This, despite the fact that most users shoot fewer than one hundred frames in a day, and anyone shooting something important has a spare battery, no matter the capacity.

Last edited by rogerstg; 05-11-2021 at 02:30 PM.
05-11-2021, 02:49 PM   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
I've watched it happen with battery capacity. A camera using a battery with capacity of ~400 shots is terrible because it's half the capacity of a competitor. This, despite the fact that most users shoot fewer than one hundred frames in a day, and anyone shooting something important has a spare battery, no matter the capacity.

The K-1 definitely runs through a battery in half the time a 6D does, with similar use.
Like you said, I carry a second one. Problem would be solved for the most part, were it not for the fact that the darned things take forever to charge (no I don't have the faster charger yet ). While traveling, that is a point of contention, although I have managed to avoid missing frames due to that except that one time I put the almost-empty battery in the camera and left the full one charging at the hotel.
Now with a third battery, you'd be basically set in most conceivable situations.
05-11-2021, 02:52 PM   #86
Pentaxian

Haven't seen it yet, but did they mention that Pentaxians are a rabidly loyal group ?
05-11-2021, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Haven't seen it yet, but did they mention that Pentaxians are a rabidly loyal group ?
I believe the word "uppity" was used...
05-11-2021, 03:42 PM   #88
bxf
Veteran Member

I am sure Ansel Adams and Henri Cartier Bresson, among others, are rolling in their graves,
05-11-2021, 03:47 PM   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
I am sure Ansel Adams and Henri Cartier Bresson, among others, are rolling in their graves,
APS-C is too small of a format for them, anyway!
05-11-2021, 03:49 PM   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
"machine-gun their cameras"? Hey, I resemble that remark!

The reason burst shooting has been standard technique for wildlife is because it's effective. If one waits for the decisive moment, they'll miss it. As mtkeller alludes, most "machine gunners" use short bursts when they anticipate a decisive moment is happening. It's uncommon to miss something spectacular because of a full buffer. That's reality. It's not new to digital either. Wildlife photographers were using motor drives and 250+ exp film backs since they became available. Now, with digital, more people have access to the technique, and it doesn't cost a fortune in film and processing either.

It's the nature of internet discourse for nuanced information to be condensed, regurgitated and simplified until only a conclusion remains. Prediction:- Camera A is capable of taking x shots before the buffer is full. Camera B can take x + y. That's valid, but assuming for discussion that 99.9 percent of the time, bursts are fewer than 1/3x frames, it hardly matters. But this becomes a decision point: A's buffer is inferior to B's. And eventually it becomes: A's buffer sucks.

OK...