Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 56 Likes Search this Thread
05-11-2021, 04:04 PM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
APS-C is too small of a format for them, anyway!
HCB only shot 35mm, so not that different.

05-11-2021, 04:46 PM   #92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
The Seattle office just posted a set of K3iii pictures, along with a nice description of the camera. Looking forward to their full review.
The samples are shot across a surprisingly wide selection of lenses : 16-85, 20-40, 15, 35 Macro, Sigma 18-35.
They're not portfolio shots, but a decent selection of situational shots. Nothing to complain about as far as I can see.
05-11-2021, 05:00 PM - 1 Like   #93
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
The samples are shot across a surprisingly wide selection of lenses : 16-85, 20-40, 15, 35 Macro, Sigma 18-35.
They're not portfolio shots, but a decent selection of situational shots. Nothing to complain about as far as I can see.
My copy of the Sigma 18-35 was so far off on the K3III, but required no fine adjustment on two different K-70's. After setting -7 on the Sigma it now establishes focus faster and with more authority than on my other cameras. That lens has a new permanent place in my hardcase carry kit for the K3III.
05-12-2021, 12:54 AM   #94
Pentaxian

If you compare the recent Canon M50 gallery with the K-3III gallery the former looks a lot better. Nicer weather and only low iso shots but the portraits are super sharp and images generally have lots of detail and accurate focus. I haven't compared relative cost of lenses etc but it's interesting.

Canon EOS M50 Mark II sample gallery: Digital Photography Review
Pentax K-3 Mark III sample gallery: Digital Photography Review

What do you think? I sort of struggle to find the focus point in many of the Pentax images never really gets sharp.

05-12-2021, 01:11 AM - 3 Likes   #95
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
If you compare the recent Canon M50 gallery with the K-3III gallery the former looks a lot better. Nicer weather and only low iso shots but the portraits are super sharp and images generally have lots of detail and accurate focus. I haven't compared relative cost of lenses etc but it's interesting.
To compare photos, you really have to go to somewhere like Image Resource's Comparator, because to be honest, these guys and nearly all reviewers on the Internet are lousy picture takers, it's why they're earning money on Youtube and not as working professionals.

If you want to see showcase images, look at what Ricoh Ambassadors like Rene and Kerrick and Matt have taken.

But that too is selective, it's really comparing photographers, this time, good ones.

We come back to the objective methods like Image Resource again. And it's why in rating lenses, the industry uses MTF charts, they take the scene and the photographer out of the equation.
05-12-2021, 01:17 AM - 1 Like   #96
Pentaxian

For sure you can't make perfect comparisons based on random snapshots. I just found that the K-3III galleries looked generally soft and had a browse concluding that the M50 looked better. Low iso skewing subjective impression I'm sure. M50 at thos K-3III isos would likely completely fall apart. The price of the M50 is about a quarter.

Regardless. Looking at comparable flower shots at low iso the impression remains. This is subjective though and I'd be interested to hear other peoples judgement.
05-12-2021, 04:25 AM - 1 Like   #97
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
This is subjective though and I'd be interested to hear other peoples judgement.
Bear in mind that most of these (with the exception of some processed Canon RAW images) are SOOC JPEGs.

Sharpening levels are bound to be different.

Personally, I feel the Canon colours are pretty terrible; they look very artificial to me, and I don't think it is just the over-saturation.

None of the K-3 III images are examples of great photography but I don't think they are worse than the Canon shots. There have been worse sets for Pentax lenses and I don't see a reason to be dissatisfied what they did for the K-3 III. It's nice that they used so many different lenses, too bad no FA 31/1.8 Limited or similar was among them.

To judge critical sharpness I think you should download the RAW files from selected images for both cameras and develop them with your trusted RAW developer (bearing in mind that "0" does not mean "zero" in Lightroom and default sharpening levels, etc. could therefore be different, even if the slider settings look the same).

05-13-2021, 06:04 AM   #98

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
I think anyone expecting better AF than D500 perhaps had their hopes a bit high. The fact that it is almost as good is impressive. This is pentax's first pro level af, nikon has had several cracks to get it to that level. Overall a great job, she sequence looked like they were almost all in focus.
Yes, I could not see any bad ones either. I just watched it yesterday. The buffer in the D500 may be better but I thought the images they got with both were totally comparable. I have the camera but have not shot burst mode yet. No need yet.