Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2021, 07:27 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DPRTV Review of K-3 III

Sample gallery: https://www.dpreview.com/samples/9314054620/pentax-k-3-mark-iii-sample-gallery-dpreview-tv

05-08-2021, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
DPReview TV gets with the K-3iii

DPReview TV: Pentax K-3 Mark III review: Digital Photography Review

Welp, here it is. Haven't watched it yet, but I guess this counts as "News"? (Please move it if not, mods!)
05-08-2021, 08:01 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Beat ya by a couple minutes DPRTV Review of K-3 III - PentaxForums.com
05-08-2021, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

The AF performance is definitely a lot better than any previous Pentax body. The D500 is still the AF & buffer king, but this camera is pretty close to it. It definitely seems to have far better AF performance than the Nikon D7200, D7500, & the Canon 90D. Looks good to me.

05-08-2021, 08:16 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Slaughter in the forums!

I don't have time right now, but looking forward to watching through to the D500 comparison.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-08-2021 at 08:29 AM.
05-08-2021, 08:16 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Just watched it which basically compared many functions with the D500, and so a few comments from my reading & perspective:

+ basically pretty complimentary re image quality, focus speed & accuracy, (as compared with previous Pentax APS-C models) & pixel shift
+ excellent viewfinder
+ ergonomic, handling & user friendliness
+ menus & customizability
+ very good upgrade for existing Pentax users

- Still not quite up to D500 re focus speed & accuracy, and burst length
- Only 1 UHS-2 card slot
- No "flippy" screen (where have we heard that before?)
- poorer battery life
- "baked in" noise reduction above 1600 ISO in RAW files
- Very expensive for an APS-C DSLR
- "probably not" (my interpretation of what was said) enough to attract many non-"Pentaxians" in "our fold"

So, take a look at the video, and add your own comments!
05-08-2021, 08:20 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can take a joke, or ribbing and its an OK review .

05-08-2021, 08:30 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
"probably not" (my interpretation of what was said) enough to attract many non-"Pentaxians" in "our fold"
Yuh - that's the narrative it's more difficult to break free of now
05-08-2021, 08:34 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Obviously, they could not restrain themselves from a derogatory jab at Pentax - although they got quite creative at it. I don't think they would have dared if this was about a last Canon/Nikon DSLR.

The card write speed thing, we knew about it (25 frames buffer is too small though, this should've been investigated - but they have no Pentaxian to help with such things).
The AF... some people say there are issues with the Tamron-made 70-210, observed on both Pentax and Nikon (DPReview used probably a genuine Nikkor lens, judging by the number of switches). And the defaults aren't great, isn't Release Priority still a default for AF-C? How about AF Hold?
05-08-2021, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IMO, I think that it's a fairly favourable review and an overall positive vibe.

They touch on a number of the key features, including the "beautiful" OVF, effective shake reduction, excellent handling, easy user interface, intuitive menu, and excellent image quality. They also mention other features such as the astrotracer, composition adjustment, pixel shift and AA filter simulator. The extensive customization capability is also notable.

The reviewer noted a few negatives -- "way too many exposure modes" (sarcasm?); fixed rear screen (a "downside"); and relatively weak rated battery life compared to the Nikon D500.

The 'zig-zag' autofocus test seemed superficial to me. The K-3 Mark III was tested with only one lens (the 70-210/4) and one AF.C mode ("zone focusing", which I assume means the 21-point 'zone select' mode). We don't hear how many trials were performed, nor the actual percentages of in-focus shots. There is no indication that the specific lens was calibrated with an AF Fine Adjustment prior to its use. Although the K-3 Mark III and the D500 are both noted to have a "very good [autofocus] hit rate," the reviewer prefers the AF performance of the D500. I think the reviewer should have added a caveat concerning the short and incomplete 'test' that was performed.

Another topic with scant details is the buffering capability. There is no mention of the brand or model of SD card nor its rated write speed. No mention of the D500's performance in this area.

Under low-light conditions, the review mentions that the K-3 Mark III produces RAW (DNG) files with "baked-in" noise reduction. Regrettably, only a single image (and only at ISO 1600) is used to illustrate the resulting image quality, so it is not possible to conclude from this review that the 'baking' produces any practical detrimental effect. In fact, the reviewer preferred the resulting image from the K-3 Mark III over the image from a Fuji X-T3. What about the D500?

A short segment touches on the camera's video capabilities. In summary, the review suggests that other cameras offer better video performance, but the K-3 Mark III would be good for existing Pentax users who want to try the upgraded video.

As might be expected, the ensuing comments at DPReview and YouTube include the usual snipes, snarks, and odd comparisons.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 05-09-2021 at 06:02 PM. Reason: delete reference to no mention of D500 lack of IBIS
05-08-2021, 08:44 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Beat ya by a couple minutes DPRTV Review of K-3 III - PentaxForums.com
Darn! I didn't see it before posting.

Regarding the review itself, hey, it isn't too terrible (despite the obvious expected jabs). I find it interesting that they didn't put the run test shots in the gallery. "A bit worse than the D500" is still more performance than the majority of people will ever need, anyway.
05-08-2021, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
- Still not quite up to D500 re focus speed & accuracy, and burst length
I think it would reasonable to be critical of their AF comparison to the D500.

Their 'zig-zag' autofocus test was superficial. The K-3 Mark III was tested with only one lens (the 70-210/4) and one AF.C mode ("zone focusing", which I assume means the 21-point 'zone select' mode). We don't hear how many trials were performed, nor the actual percentages of in-focus shots. There is no indication that the specific lens was calibrated with an AF Fine Adjustment prior to its use. Those details are important.

I think the reviewer should have added a caveat concerning the short and incomplete 'test' that was performed.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 05-08-2021 at 10:23 AM.
05-08-2021, 10:13 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Veteran Member

I had the D500 for a while and to be honest it was going to be very unlikely that the K-3 III was going to match it in autofocus tracking speed, the Nikon is streets ahead of any DSLR and most mirrorless bodies come to that. Just be happy that it's close, if it's as good as the 7D MKII I am currently using for moving objects I will be satisfied.

I do agree the buffer is a bit lacking but hopefully Ricoh can sort that in a firmware upgrade because the hardware looks capable enough.

All in all I thought it was a fair review but then I am not fixated on picking up on every little sub comment to try and rip it apart so that I can accuse DPR of bias.
05-08-2021, 10:26 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
I do agree the buffer is a bit lacking
They were shooting RAW+, no one does that do they?, and how many processing options were turned on?

There will be reviews in time that address these points and we will see a better picture then.
05-08-2021, 10:27 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Wow

I got the feeling that the dinosaur was let loose. The dinosaur being the love for a Nikon D500. If you do this kind of comparing it is not a review, it is just noise! The problem is me not having a Nikon or a Fuji. So they can tell you a perfect fairy tale. I can not determine if the statement is right and I should, to be sure that what is said is based on sound ground. If they had it compared against the K-3 II, well they did not because it would have forced them to utter only plusses and hardly any negative. But I guess this forum will do that, so I have an experts comparison between the old K-3's and this new one. If I know what has really changed inside the camera then I can buy one and keep on reviewing it for myself.