Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2021, 06:59 PM   #1

Pentax k3 mk3 uploading images

Can anyone help?

When I connect my ew k3 mk3 to my iMac computer to upload my images it doesnít register as a device on either my desktop on on the side panel ?
so I canít access the memory cards to upload to my computer- if I have set the Ďautomatically open Adobe bridge when camera attachedí it does that but then I canít eject the device before disconnecting the camera as there is no device icon on my desktop or panel - and I know that this can damage the memory cards 😩😊
My K3 mk1 registers as soon as I connect it to the computer so not sure what the problem could be? Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks 👍

05-08-2021, 07:36 PM   #2

Are your files in PEF format? The latest Pentax camera that Big Sur supports is the K-70. PEF files from the K-1ii, KP and K-3iii are not supported by Finder. DNG files should work through conversion and setting your camera to use DNG for the future.

Digital camera RAW formats supported by iOS 14, iPadOS 14, and macOS Big Sur - Apple Support
05-08-2021, 09:37 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Are your files in PEF format? The latest Pentax camera that Big Sur supports is the K-70. PEF files from the K-1ii, KP and K-3iii are not supported by Finder. DNG files should work through conversion and setting your camera to use DNG for the future.

Digital camera RAW formats supported by iOS 14, iPadOS 14, and macOS Big Sur - Apple Support
OPís question is about unmounting/ejecting the camera as if it were a USB drive, not about the file format.

Is there something in Bridge that can do the ejecting/unmounting? macOS does not treat the camera like a USB drive, so Iím not sure if it needs to do an unmount like with a card reader or USB drive.
05-08-2021, 11:57 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use Mac's but I never connect camera to the computer.
My 2012 MacBook Pro has build in SD card reader.
The latest one M1 / Big Sur , I use USB C / Thunderbolt 3 hub with no problems.
I do not have K-3lll yet so can not confirm , there might be some problems with SD UHS-ll.
Is K-3lll compatible with USB C / Thunderbolt 3?

05-09-2021, 12:19 AM   #5
Pentaxian

By any chance, has the camera been set to "CD" for downloading the integrated software and not switched back? See p97 in the manual.
Alternatively, set the camera to "CD" and see if that works. If not the cable may be faulty or even the port on the camera damaged.
Is there a Windows laptop or PC available to check the connection?
05-09-2021, 07:37 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
By any chance, has the camera been set to "CD" for downloading the integrated software and not switched back? See p97 in the manual.
From what I've read Mac OS X does not natively support MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) for USB. An add-on is needed.
05-09-2021, 08:40 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So much guessing, not a lot of facts in this thread. macOS has no problems mounting the camera in CDROM mode to install DCU or in MTP mode. In MTP mode, it doesn't show up as a mounted drive in Disk Utility, which means that it is safe to just unplug the device. See this discussion for screenshots on how to verify that the camera is not seen as a drive in Disk Utility. This from Apple support (found in the discussion linked above) is Apple officially giving a list of steps that involves just unplugging the camera.

I personally prefer card readers to connecting my camera directly to the computer, but I have just tested all this with the K-3 iii and it works described above. @Marmimag can rest easy just unplugging their camera from the computer.

---------- Post added 05-09-21 at 10:44 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
Is K-3lll compatible with USB C / Thunderbolt 3?
It has a USB-C port on it, which was one of the little added perks that Ricoh has been touting. This seems to be part of why they aren't shipping a standalone battery charger with the K-3 iii, and allegedly, whenever they get around to updating Image Transmitter 2, the K-3 iii will tether over USB-C at really good speeds.

05-10-2021, 04:44 AM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for these replies Really appreciate all your help!

- I always have my camera set to DNG Files I also selected MTP . The Mac obviously sees the camera when its opened via bridge so as mentioned on the Apple Community thread " For devices that are not showing as a disk on the Desktop there is no need to eject them after importing to Photos"
It just seems strange not to see it in the finder window ! :-) As my K5II's and Pentax K3 MK1 always show up -

I also think there was a problem with uploading the software as mentioned as you have to purchase it and it seems hard to find the original software on the Pentax site ! So I will either use my card reader or just eject after using bridge

By the way the camera is awesome! so pleased I treated myself to it!

Many thanks again for replying to my request for help!
05-10-2021, 06:52 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Marmimag Quote
I also think there was a problem with uploading the software as mentioned as you have to purchase it and it seems hard to find the original software on the Pentax site
Which software is that? Digital Camera Utility? It should be on the camera - set the USB connection to CD and connect the USB cable. It should show up on a drive with the proper label in you can install it from there or run the load the update from Ricoh. If the camera is still connected in CD mode the update program will see this as the CD needed to run the update.

The K-5ii and K-3 don't have MTP mode.and use MSC (Mass Storage Class) protocol instead.