Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 32 Likes Search this Thread
05-10-2021, 11:46 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great shots, thank you for the pics and your thoughts. Awesome photos.

05-10-2021, 01:33 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
Great shots, thank you for the pics and your thoughts. Awesome photos.
Thanks!

---------- Post added 05-10-21 at 01:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Hope so, but it seems to be really nice to capture some action
Yes! Capturing action is always fun
05-10-2021, 02:27 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots. You have some really excellent images there.
05-10-2021, 02:46 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by red5isalive Quote
Hi guys,

Its me again, the crazy motorsport fan that takes pictures from Barcelona.
This past week I was offered by the importer of Pentax in Spain, Reflecta to test that brilliant camera for a week as I was going to travel to Montecarlo to cover the 2021 Formula E Monaco E-Prix, and so I did.

Firsts impressions of the camera once I had it and was at home was it was looking very promising. Menus are good once you get used to them, new functionalities as the new layout of buttons works fantastic once you get to know them, and the possibilities about AutoFocus looked very promising. Also liked the grip and how it suits my small hands.

So I went to Monaco and the event runs just one day, and here I would like to share with you some sets of images un-edited I took with this camera and the following lenses: Sigma 100-300mm F4 and Sigma 17-50mm f2.8.
Images where taken usually in a regular mode using the ViewFinder but also some where taken using the LightView and it also worked great.

Let me leave here some examples (following after I will let some sequence of 12 shots taken from the same car to show how does the camera perfom while taking a secuence of images of a racing car coming towards us)
I have been posting about this in the spanish forum also (pentaxeros.com) so if you are there you might be familiar with my impressions and my images

Some random thoughts about how does this camera works:
I was in Monaco in 2019 covering the Formula 1 Grand Prix and I've been there in 2017 and 2018 also as media for Formula 1 smaller formulas always as an accredited photographer using my K3 and K3-II and the same lenses I spoke before about and what I found is that with this new camera is way easier to not say "easy" to picture images I was really having issues to create using either a K3 or a K3-II.

For example the exit of the tunnel where cars are coming towards you very quick was very hard for me to capture images of the cars in focus while here with the new iteration of the camera is way easier to do so.
Also the burst mode is super quick and I liked that, yet the buffer maybe fills too quick for my taste. But you can't have it all, do you?

This image comes from a 4 pictures where 2 were very good and 2 where not as good from a very unexpected situation where the driver almost colides to the barriers,

And then to finish the promised 12 photos taken following a car that was coming towards us, you'll see not every frame is in focus but I found it quite accurate and again taking those images there was way easier than doing so with my previous Pentax aps-c cameras.

Now thoughts and impressions:
I was shooting at not "single point focus" as I usually do but at the first cross points focus and it works quite pretty well.
I was given a K3-III with no battery grip so I was using one single battery and I really was using ImageSync, the Wifi capability of the camera, the screen and touching it to zoom in and check details quite a lot and also the live view to shoot for example the shoots inside the tunnel and I've covered 3/4 of the sessions of the E-Prix with one single battery.

I just swap it to cover the race and the battery I swap out from the camera was still remaining 1/4th of its capacity but I was not willing to risk in running out of battery.

I hope you like it and it helps you find out if its a good camera or not. Some say is better than a 7D-II and similar to a D500 (but the D500 has more optics where to choose from, true, and a better buffer ratio).

Cheers!
Told you you'd enjoy it!👍🏽 Great images!

05-10-2021, 06:32 PM   #20
Pentaxian

EXCELLENT..

Great to see so real sports shots with the new camera, That AF-C really seemed to handle it well, and with a screwdrive lens. In that series of 12, as said, with the speed the car was coming I think the tracking did well, it also looked like you were shooting through the mesh in some cases, so it's also possible the shots you say are out of focus a bit got a little bit of interference from that.

Great to see the Jpegs direct as well.

Can't wait to get my hands on mine.

cmohr
05-10-2021, 08:00 PM   #21
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks!

---------- Post added 05-10-21 at 01:34 PM ----------

Yes! Capturing action is always fun
Great set of pictures. Excellent work, really shows off what the camera is capable of in the right hands. Thank you and keep posting.
05-10-2021, 10:21 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for sharing these great photos and for your comparisons between the Mk III and the older versions of the K-3. Good to know how capable the new AF is. Can't wait to use mine!

05-10-2021, 11:03 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
Nice shots. You have some really excellent images there.
Thank you, glad you like them

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
Told you you'd enjoy it!👍🏽 Great images!
Hahahaha and you were right! Great camera Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
EXCELLENT..

Great to see so real sports shots with the new camera, That AF-C really seemed to handle it well, and with a screwdrive lens. In that series of 12, as said, with the speed the car was coming I think the tracking did well, it also looked like you were shooting through the mesh in some cases, so it's also possible the shots you say are out of focus a bit got a little bit of interference from that.

Great to see the Jpegs direct as well.

Can't wait to get my hands on mine.

cmohr
Thank you Glad you liked them. Yes! I wanted to show what comes out from the camera straight. Those are JPG at Large Size and top quality.
Yes it goes with a quite old lens nowadays but that is still suposedly to be a fast AF lens.

Yes, it was tracking the car quite very well in the 12 pictures series. I think I did a small pre-focusing to the edge of the corner before the car came as I usually do and it worked very well
Yes exactly I was shooting thru a mesh in some cases and it worked 80% of the time. Some times I was too close to the mesh that the camera was not able to focus, I have to admit that. But even with objects on the way it usually was able to focus and shoot quite pretty well.

Once you have it, lets see which ones are your impressions

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Great set of pictures. Excellent work, really shows off what the camera is capable of in the right hands. Thank you and keep posting.
Thank you I just have 2 hands as most of the human race :-P The camera is quite very good indeed for this matter.

QuoteOriginally posted by mamba909 Quote
Thanks for sharing these great photos and for your comparisons between the Mk III and the older versions of the K-3. Good to know how capable the new AF is. Can't wait to use mine!
Thank you
I was just trying to share my own thoughts so maybe they were helpful to someone else
05-11-2021, 06:39 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Good photos, thank you for posting.
A very good result from the AF system and the photographer!
05-11-2021, 07:14 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dieseler Quote
Good photos, thank you for posting.
A very good result from the AF system and the photographer!
Thanks!!
05-11-2021, 08:09 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Superb images, impressive sequences!! What SD card were you using? Just curious. Those E-GP cars accelerate pretty quickly and the MkIII kept up nicely!
05-11-2021, 08:18 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Superb images, impressive sequences!! What SD card were you using? Just curious. Those E-GP cars accelerate pretty quickly and the MkIII kept up nicely!
Thank you, yes they do accelerate quite quick.

I bought a ProGrade SDXC UH-II V10 U3-10 which is 64GB of capacity and claims speeds up to 250MB/s as the one in the first slot. The one that accepts SDXC UH-II cards to store my Raw files.
I had none and found that one at 41€ good value for the money plus the estimate date of delivery was one day before leaving to Montecarlo.

For the JPGs at the 2nd slot I use (as I use in my K3-II) a Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB SDXC UH-I that claims speeds up to 170MB/s.

But as I wanted to get to see how quick the camera could work this is why i bought the Prograde card.
05-13-2021, 02:59 PM - 3 Likes   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hi again guys,
You might probably have seen most of the images I'd add here but I also took some images with my K3 Silver and I've edited the images so please let me add some more images and probably some repeated ones here,

Una que subí pero luego me falló el foro y no la podía poner

Best Regards,

---------- Post added 05-13-21 at 03:01 PM ----------

Cheers,

---------- Post added 05-13-21 at 03:31 PM ----------

Now, I was trying some presets and so that came out. I kinda like the colors and tones. Maybe they a re bit darker but.... let me know what do you think about them

Cheers,
09-06-2022, 08:13 PM   #29

Hi guys,

Its me again, the crazy motorsport fan that takes pictures from Barcelona.
This past week I was offered by the importer of Pentax in Spain, Reflecta to test that brilliant camera for a week as I was going to travel to Montecarlo to cover the 2021 Formula E Monaco E-Prix, and so I did.

Firsts impressions of the camera once I had it and was at home was it was looking very promising. Menus are good once you get used to them, new functionalities as the new layout of buttons works fantastic once you get to know them, and the possibilities about AutoFocus looked very promising. Also liked the grip and how it suits my small hands.

So I went to Monaco and the event runs just one day, and here I would like to share with you some sets of images un-edited I took with this camera and the following lenses: Sigma 100-300mm F4 and Sigma 17-50mm f2.8.
Images where taken usually in a regular mode using the ViewFinder but also some where taken using the LightView and it also worked great.

Let me leave here some examples (following after I will let some sequence of 12 shots taken from the same car to show how does the camera perfom while taking a secuence of images of a racing car coming towards us)
I have been posting about this in the spanish forum also (pentaxeros.com) so if you are there you might be familiar with my impressions and my images

Some random thoughts about how does this camera works:
I was in Monaco in 2019 covering the Formula 1 Grand Prix and I've been there in 2017 and 2018 also as media for Formula 1 smaller formulas always as an accredited photographer using my K3 and K3-II and the same lenses I spoke before about and what I found is that with this new camera is way easier to not say "easy" to picture images I was really having issues to create using either a K3 or a K3-II.

For example the exit of the tunnel where cars are coming towards you very quick was very hard for me to capture images of the cars in focus while here with the new iteration of the camera is way easier to do so.
Also the burst mode is super quick and I liked that, yet the buffer maybe fills too quick for my taste. But you can't have it all, do you?

This image comes from a 4 pictures where 2 were very good and 2 where not as good from a very unexpected situation where the driver almost colides to the barriers,

And then to finish the promised 12 photos taken following a car that was coming towards us, you'll see not every frame is in focus but I found it quite accurate and again taking those images there was way easier than doing so with my previous Pentax aps-c cameras.

Now thoughts and impressions:
I was shooting at not "single point focus" as I usually do but at the first cross points focus and it works quite pretty well.
I was given a K3-III with no battery grip so I was using one single battery and I really was using ImageSync, the Wifi capability of the camera, the screen and touching it to zoom in and check details quite a lot and also the live view to shoot for example the shoots inside the tunnel and I've covered 3/4 of the sessions of the E-Prix with one single battery.

I just swap it to cover the race and the battery I swap out from the camera was still remaining 1/4th of its capacity but I was not willing to risk in running out of battery.

I hope you like it and it helps you find out if its a good camera or not. Some say is better than a 7D-II and similar to a D500 (but the D500 has more optics where to choose from, true, and a better buffer ratio).

Cheers!
Amigo, if you haven't already, please join my Facebook page, Pentax Photojournalists/Professional Pentaxians page. You already qualify. I need more motorsports on the page. You are welcome!

LXNights
09-07-2022, 01:01 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks mate,
Yes I'm there but I am not as active.

Will try to share some images,

All the best