Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-10-2021, 07:31 PM   #1

will the K3 iii autofocus fast with screwdrive lenses

I have some Limited lenses and was wondering if they are also really fast focusing on the K3 iii and are they useful for fast and accurate continuous shooting? And how would the Tamron 70-200 do it on this camera?

05-10-2021, 11:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My guess would be that it would be faster. Note that I still don't have the camera, so I'm just reasoning from a theoretical point-of-view.

The AF points being many more and much closer to each other, plus the AI for subject identification, would greatly improve the camera's capacity to keep track of the subject. In my experience, where the previous cameras lost out was not the actual speed with which the lens elements were moved, but the fact that AF lost track of the subject, resulting in the camera focusing on something nowhere near the subject. From that moment on, it was generally too far off to get the subject back into focus fast enough, simply because of the distance the lens elements had to move. So *if* the new AF is up to keeping track of the subject, my thinking is that the problem situation might be avoided... To be confirmed...
05-11-2021, 12:12 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It also takes very little rotation to go from infinity to ~ 2-3 meters and can be done in a split of a second. My opinion is that lenses are fast enough and all depends on how accurate the camera body can maintain focus.
05-11-2021, 04:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Yes. Here’s a gallery from the day after I got mine, and these are all shot with the Tamron 70–200 f/2.8 coupled to the HD DA 1.4x teleconverter. Some of the sequences don’t have 100% of the images tack sharp, but I chalk that up to operator error as I was trying to decide what setting to use for AF hold. The other thing I noticed is that I was able to pick up the camera to try to quickly grab a moment and could get the camera to successfully lock onto the subject in a way that would not have been possible before. Last night, I converted my DA*300mm that had glitchy SDM to screwdrive. Just took a few test shots in the backyard, but I was pleased with the speed at which it was able to focus, too.

05-11-2021, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #5

Photos: Albums
The AF was pretty snappy on my FA77 but AFC was quite annoying.
05-12-2021, 12:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SimplyCreativePhotography Quote
The AF was pretty snappy on my FA77 but AFC was quite annoying.
Annoying in what sense?
05-12-2021, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Annoying in what sense?
Just noisy. AFC was so unreliable on my K-5 that I rarely used it, and likely never with my FA77. The K-3iii is much much better but for moving objects where it kept changing to keep them in focus (birds) I simply wasn't used to the constant noise. I suspect I won't use AFC often with my screw-drive lenses. It worked fine. I just found it distracting.

05-12-2021, 06:06 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just noisy. AFC was so unreliable on my K-5 that I rarely used it, and likely never with my FA77. The K-3iii is much much better but for moving objects where it kept changing to keep them in focus (birds) I simply wasn't used to the constant noise. I suspect I won't use AFC often with my screw-drive lenses. It worked fine. I just found it distracting.
You didn't receive your complementary Pentax ear plugs,,,,HUH??
05-13-2021, 11:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Ah yes, screw drive lenses are noisy indeed. And I can imagine with increasing speed the noise would increase as well. I remember noticing this especially if my FA*300, when I returned to it a few times when needing a more correct telelens. I'm used to the DFA150-450 now.

05-14-2021, 05:59 AM   #10

Ah yes, screw drive lenses are noisy indeed. And I can imagine with increasing speed the noise would increase as well. I remember noticing this especially if my FA*300, when I returned to it a few times when needing a more correct telelens. I'm used to the DFA150-450 now.
But I also love using them. I think it's just a matter of sticking with AFS.

In other news, my 16-50SDM doesn't seem to have made the transition to the K3-iii as nicely as the 50-135. Hopefully not another SDM issue. (repaired once already). It was working fine on my K-5 up until I got my new camera. More testing to do before I can be sure.
05-15-2021, 06:22 AM   #11
Veteran Member

But I also love using them. I think it's just a matter of sticking with AFS.

In other news, my 16-50SDM doesn't seem to have made the transition to the K3-iii as nicely as the 50-135. Hopefully not another SDM issue. (repaired once already). It was working fine on my K-5 up until I got my new camera. More testing to do before I can be sure.
Hope your 16-50's SDM will recover. If it doesn't, make sure to use your K-5 to convert it to screw drive. I had to borrow a friend's because debug mode in the later flagships wasn't documented. Mine was repaired twice before I converted it.
05-17-2021, 05:16 PM   #12

Hope your 16-50's SDM will recover. If it doesn't, make sure to use your K-5 to convert it to screw drive. I had to borrow a friend's because debug mode in the later flagships wasn't documented. Mine was repaired twice before I converted it.
I'll see where it goes. Likewise for me after the first repair I played with the screw drive version for a bit but eventually sent it in for a second repair. I just took it for a walk outside and everything seemed fine so hopefully I'll be ok.