Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-12-2021, 07:40 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K3-III Using Auto (but restricting Aperture)

I am struggling to find an easy fix for this but is it possible within the menus to restrict the Aperture that it uses in AUTO mode. My concern is that it defaults to wide open and this is not the 'best' place for my DA* 16-50 and 50-135.

I appreciate it is an AUTO setting after all but shame you cannot limit it some how. I wondered if you could change the Program Line [Camera 2 - Exposure Setting / Program Line] but it is fixed to AUTO.

Sometimes in the heat of the moment or if my wife wants to 'snap' we just use AUTO...

05-12-2021, 08:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What if you used program mode and changed the program line there? Pentax's program mode lets you do all sorts of really nice manual adjustments that other manufacturers don't, but I think if you just switch to P, it is for all intents and purposes auto until you start turning dials.
05-12-2021, 09:03 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by snappyhoffy Quote
I am struggling to find an easy fix for this but is it possible within the menus to restrict the Aperture that it uses in AUTO mode. My concern is that it defaults to wide open and this is not the 'best' place for my DA* 16-50 and 50-135.

I appreciate it is an AUTO setting after all but shame you cannot limit it some how. I wondered if you could change the Program Line [Camera 2 - Exposure Setting / Program Line] but it is fixed to AUTO.

Sometimes in the heat of the moment or if my wife wants to 'snap' we just use AUTO...
Get the camera out of auto and you will be able to set the program line. Not sure how that affects the Auto mode though.
05-12-2021, 09:06 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
What if you used program mode and changed the program line there? Pentax's program mode lets you do all sorts of really nice manual adjustments that other manufacturers don't, but I think if you just switch to P, it is for all intents and purposes auto until you start turning dials.
Yep, that looks like his best option.

05-12-2021, 09:07 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
Nah... good call, but just tried that. Maybe have to set up a USER mode for it.
05-12-2021, 09:40 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My concern is that it defaults to wide open and this is not the 'best' place for my DA* 16-50 and 50-135.
It shouldn't... ^ ^ ^

Behavior should be similar to that on the K-3.

Steve
05-12-2021, 10:42 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

MTF Priority program mode might be the right thing? See p. 52 in the English manual. An interesting concept that has been around since at least 1991 (Z-1/PZ-1). If light levels are too low of course it wont help. In that case, why not use Aperture Priority auto?

05-12-2021, 12:10 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
MTF Priority program mode might be the right thing? See p. 52 in the English manual. An interesting concept that has been around since at least 1991 (Z-1/PZ-1). If light levels are too low of course it wont help. In that case, why not use Aperture Priority auto?
But that states that it effects P, Sv, TAv and M but not AUTO.... but I will continue to 'play'.

Thanks for your suggestion though.
05-12-2021, 02:33 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I would suggest TAV mode if you want Aperture and Shutter Speed control while the ISO is automatically decided upon by the camera. Manual is valuable for full control of the camera, but TAV gives you a decision on 2 out of 3 of the settings while providing auto ISO.
05-12-2021, 02:47 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

I wonder why P mode isn't acceptable? It is an Auto mode with a program line. Just avoid turning any dials.
05-12-2021, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

But that states that it effects P, Sv, TAv and M but not AUTO.... but I will continue to 'play'.

Thanks for your suggestion though.
I believe it is we who are agreeing to 'play". Since there are no obvious menu settings that allow setting an aperture range for any purpose it is probably not a setting. Using a different program curve might work except that Auto mode sort of makes that decision for you based on scene analysis.

FWIW, variations of this thread come up every once in awhile where the user wants to stipulate a range of apertures for program auto exposure in a manner similar to restriction on ISO for auto-ISO; a common suggestion being to set minimum ISO to a fairly high value to force narrower apertures. Auto mode should respect the ISO range restrictions.

For your case, setting one of the User modes to be "Auto" with ISO range restriction might be a workable solution. You can call it "Heat of the Moment" mode.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-12-2021 at 03:08 PM. Reason: forgot end of sentence.
05-13-2021, 04:33 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
'HOTM' Mode - I like it!