Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
05-14-2021, 03:18 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Focus Peaking and ES

If focus peaking "Highlight Edge" is selected in LV, it is far too subtle for me. I can barely see it. It is more prominent on the K1.

By the way, I couldn't find any mention in the manual of LV zoom. However, it is there, using the OK button as usual.

If "Extract Edge" is selected instead, only the in-focus edges are shown, as very fine lines. I needed to increase screen brightness to maximum to see those with any confidence.

Also, I was surprised that there is no Electronic Shutter available for selection, though one operates automatically in pixel shift shooting. With the much lighter shutter operation, it may not be as useful as on the K1, but it may be a useful firmware upgrade at some stage.

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 05-14-2021 at 04:00 PM.
05-14-2021, 03:57 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snappyhoffy Quote
It does that (and only that)
Huh? When I change from Av to U1 (called “Sports” in my settings), I don’t get anything that shows “Sports” on my screen. I just see U1 (with TAv next to it, indicating that my Sports mode was created from TAv mode).
05-15-2021, 03:48 AM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is for the wish list category.

When the menus are shown the INFO button has no function. What Pentax could do to further improve the menus is to show a Help text for the selected menu item with the INFO button (Olympus is doing that with a tooltip). If done well it can prevent excursions to the user manual.
05-15-2021, 03:58 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
Huh? When I change from Av to U1 (called “Sports” in my settings), I don’t get anything that shows “Sports” on my screen. I just see U1 (with TAv next to it, indicating that my Sports mode was created from TAv mode).
That's what I meant...it only shows U1

05-15-2021, 05:44 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
This is for the wish list category.

When the menus are shown the INFO button has no function. What Pentax could do to further improve the menus is to show a Help text for the selected menu item with the INFO button (Olympus is doing that with a tooltip). If done well it can prevent excursions to the user manual.
Sometimes the info button does additional settings for a menu option.
05-15-2021, 06:28 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by snappyhoffy Quote
It does that (and only that)
Where do you see the named mode appear? I can only find the user function number as the user modes are selected. The K-3 Mk I shows the user mode names on the rear screen as the modes are selected.

Edit: Never mind I see the second page discussion has already established the given name can't be displayed.

Last edited by Larrymc; 05-15-2021 at 06:38 AM.
05-15-2021, 08:11 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Sometimes the info button does additional settings for a menu option.
Indeed, there are some rare menus that need the INFO button for setting parameters. It is sloppy and they should change that because INFO means providing info.

05-15-2021, 08:25 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

Indeed, there are some rare menus that need the INFO button for setting parameters. It is sloppy and they should change that because INFO means providing info.
It did take me a bit to recognize "Info" in the new menu might also include some detail settings. I'm fine with it now, just different from the old menu we're all familiar with.
05-16-2021, 12:58 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Using the 'INFO' button to enter some parameter sub-menus was a feature on the K-70 and KP, but only in the 'Digital Filter' section, as far as I'm aware. I struggled with the concept at the time, but it all seemed second nature when I met it on the K-3iii … it is something you get used to … simply not enough space to fit on buttons and labels for every feature
05-16-2021, 08:26 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A solution?

As far as the viewfinder display is concerned....The K-1 Select One AF setting is good template....a darker box, that goes to a lighter box while focusing and returns to a darker box when focus is acheived....it works well.....

However, on the K3III, the dark box is there until you press focus, then it disappears, is replaced by a lighter box that is hard to see and the dark box does not come back to indicate focus.

BOTH cameras need improvement in the SPOT setting, with no dark boxes at all in the K3III and only a dark box at the beginning of the focus process that never comes back on the K-1.....BOTH cameras should duplicate the Single Select AF setting on the K-1.

Multiple segment AF is similar, with darker boxes on the K-1, that are easier to see and come back after focus.

Bottom line, setting aside the question of a color screen, these changes SHOULD be easy to impellent on the Pentax side.

Last edited by rlmartindale; 05-16-2021 at 08:28 AM. Reason: new
05-16-2021, 09:35 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As someone who does a lot of wildlife photography I would like to be able to select a quieter shutter sound, as I can with my GR-III. The sound volume controls for various functions don't seem to affect the shutter.
05-16-2021, 09:45 AM - 2 Likes   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
As someone who does a lot of wildlife photography I would like to be able to select a quieter shutter sound, as I can with my GR-III. The sound volume controls for various functions don't seem to affect the shutter.
The shutter sound is the shutter sound, not a sound effect. I think the hope is that since the camera does have electronic shutter capability for pixel shift, they might be able to give us an electronic shutter in other modes via a later firmware update.
05-16-2021, 09:53 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The shutter sound is the shutter sound, not a sound effect. I think the hope is that since the camera does have electronic shutter capability for pixel shift, they might be able to give us an electronic shutter in other modes via a later firmware update.
Thanks - that would probably be a good solution. I know it's a "nice" sound but not when it scares the birds away!
05-17-2021, 03:27 AM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My camera froze while doing a preview of a photo I had just taken, about ten frames after installing firmware 1.01, and about 50 total frames. Required battery remove for reset. It has behaved normally since.
05-18-2021, 01:13 AM   #30
Pentaxian

I've experienced a very intermittent "no response" from the shutter button, requiring a switch off/on to get it going again. The latest was yesterday afternoon, but as yet I've no indication of a pattern to the events. Inevitably, their was a subject I wanted to photograph, so I wasn't about to sit down and examine if there were any indications of what was going on, had I pressed a button accidently or similar, I just wanted to take the picture!