Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-13-2021, 06:33 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
External Mic for K-3iii

I couldn't see where this has been covered specifically for the K-3iii but if so, please redirect this thread.

I've never used my Pentax DSLR's for video but might just be tempted to with my K-3iii. I'm willing to spend in the $200 to $300 range and would generally be using it for head-shot interviews but probably want to use it for other things as well.

Any advice or cautions?

05-13-2021, 07:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

no particular advice from me - but I also am looking to use it this summer when wandering around, to make a vlog for family to follow. I'll post here when I try a few things
05-13-2021, 07:38 PM   #3

Adorama has a great deal on the rode stereo microphone with the dead cat basically free. I went with it versus the shotgun mic because i had zero interest in doing talking head vlogs so I figured stereo sound would suit me better than directional.

https://www.adorama.com/rdstrvmprora.html?

Mine will be here hopefully by this weekend.
05-13-2021, 09:14 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

A lavalier can be very handy, SCP!

If possible, record to a separate audio device like a Zoom or Tascam or whatever, and sync later in post.

05-14-2021, 02:50 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'd look at the Rode products. I bought something like this quite awhile ago and it works pretty well: amazon.com: Rode VideoMicPro Compact Directional On-Camera Microphone with Rycote Lyre Shockmount: Musical Instruments?tag=pentaxforums-20&
05-14-2021, 05:55 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions. I do have a Zoom H1 Handy Recorder but I hate syncing in PP. Multiple short clips are a real pain so was hoping to simplify my process.

This will probably wait until some new PLM lenses are finally available but never too soon to start looking.

Thanks,
05-15-2021, 08:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SimplyCreativePhotography Quote
I couldn't see where this has been covered specifically for the K-3iii but if so, please redirect this thread.

I've never used my Pentax DSLR's for video but might just be tempted to with my K-3iii. I'm willing to spend in the $200 to $300 range and would generally be using it for head-shot interviews but probably want to use it for other things as well.

Any advice or cautions?
I've got a few and the one I like best is this Rode Video MIcro for $59...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1183909-REG/rode_videomicro_compact_o...981&

05-15-2021, 01:22 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote

If possible, record to a separate audio device like a Zoom or Tascam or whatever, and sync later in post.
This ^ ^ ^

Steve
05-15-2021, 08:29 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use a wireless lavalier mic so both myself and the interviewee would be equally miced up. No wires and adds freedom of creativity without having to worry about cords. At least that's what works for me and the Pentax's audio preamp in the camera is actually pretty good. My wireless lav mics sound great even compared to wired and shotgun mics.
05-16-2021, 04:13 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SimplyCreativePhotography Quote

Any advice or cautions?
The K-3 III has the same requirements for external microphones as K-7, K-5, K-3 and K-1.

So you can find solutions in the existing threads:
Microphone - PentaxForums.com
accessory 'Mike' for K-1, or some other issue.. to get sound - PentaxForums.com
Microphone opinion question. - PentaxForums.com
Which external microphones are folks using with their K7/K5? - PentaxForums.com
external microphone!!! What yall think?!?!?! - PentaxForums.com

Just check at B&H in your price range and choose the needed microphone.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/products/Shotgun/ci/8533/N/4291086008?sort=TO..._7426%3Astereo

Last edited by angerdan; 05-16-2021 at 04:27 AM.
05-17-2021, 06:32 AM   #11

Thank you! I was wondering about this as well since I now have a camera with an external microphone capability. Good to know about the similarities with the other models.
05-17-2021, 05:06 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks again everyone for your responses. The video on my K-5 was so inadequate I'd forgotten it even had an external mic. I'll probably pick up a modestly priced shotgun mic, and also keep using my lavalier and Zoom recorder when it makes sense to do so. It's nice to have options.
06-08-2021, 06:02 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll be posting video from 3-III with PLM 55-300 and small mic soon. Fingers-crossed....
06-16-2021, 07:00 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote

I came here to say the same, external audio devices are in a whole other class than any add on mics. And not that expensive! I have a zoom h4n pro, lovely device.
06-16-2021, 07:07 PM - 1 Like   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I came here to say the same, external audio devices are in a whole other class than any add on mics. And not that expensive! I have a zoom h4n pro, lovely device.
Same. I also use mine as a guitar FX pedal, and an audio interface to my laptop.

The importance of an audio interface for real time recording is that it doesn't have the lag of a computer's normal microphone and speakers.

Last edited by clackers; 06-16-2021 at 08:49 PM.