Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
10-14-2021, 05:40 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
Yes, if it is mapped to another button the viewfinder light stays on after you hit another button. Whereas hitting the AF Mode button the viewfinder light goes off after hitting another button.
I've done the same on mine, very helpful.

10-14-2021, 04:00 PM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
The video shows red illumination.
How do you explain red light inside the LCD overlay, when you claim they don't light up ?
Here's 2 alarm clocks.
One is an LED panel, the other is an LCD panel with an LED projector.
Notice how the numbers themselves are lit up on the LED part. The LCD panel does not light up the numbers, they remain black but the entire screen is backlit blue (with a phosphorus illumination).
The K-3 III (again) uses LCD so those items in the viewfinder will not light up on their own. There's a small LED in the bottom corner of the viewfinder that lights up the entire viewfinder. The actual LCDs don't and can't illuminate since liquid crystal does not produce any light whatsoever.

LED Alarm clock followed by LCD Alarm clock with LED projector.
Attached Images

10-14-2021, 04:31 PM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
Here's 2 alarm clocks.
One is an LED panel, the other is an LCD panel with an LED projector.
Notice how the numbers themselves are lit up on the LED part. The LCD panel does not light up the numbers, they remain black but the entire screen is backlit blue (with a phosphorus illumination).
The K-3 III (again) uses LCD so those items in the viewfinder will not light up on their own. There's a small LED in the bottom corner of the viewfinder that lights up the entire viewfinder. The actual LCDs don't and can't illuminate since liquid crystal does not produce any light whatsoever.

LED Alarm clock followed by LCD Alarm clock with LED projector.
That's a simple, easily understood example Kobie.
10-14-2021, 04:36 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
That's a simple, easily understood example Kobie.
It's my last effort trying to explain this lol.

10-15-2021, 12:13 AM - 1 Like   #35
Forum Member

And I did it some posts before by defending you :-)
Hopefully that works.
But it would be better, when there would be a bunch of E-Mails to Pentax, for the wish of constant or flashing light with AF-C.
Where can I send my wish?
10-15-2021, 12:22 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by licht96 Quote
And I did it some posts before by defending you :-)
Hopefully that works.
But it would be better, when there would be a bunch of E-Mails to Pentax, for the wish of constant or flashing light with AF-C.
Where can I send my wish?
That's a good question. I usually message them on FB or reach out to some of the ambassadors who forward my inquiry.
10-17-2021, 12:42 AM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

End user question....

So, for those of us who appreciate the explanation of the lights but wonder what that means for end users, what is the bottom line for what is POSSIBLE for Pentax to change in the K3III viewfinder display? How flexible is the system?

For example, can the boxes used for focus point and focus confirmation be changed? What determines how big they are and how bold, etc?

10-17-2021, 04:16 AM   #38
Forum Member

That's a good question. I think the system is very limited, since LCD clocks are also not able to show different kind of signs, numbers, letters... Even if you would integrate them in other systems.
But may be I'm wrong.
10-17-2021, 08:04 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rlmartindale Quote
So, for those of us who appreciate the explanation of the lights but wonder what that means for end users, what is the bottom line for what is POSSIBLE for Pentax to change in the K3III viewfinder display? How flexible is the system?

For example, can the boxes used for focus point and focus confirmation be changed? What determines how big they are and how bold, etc?
It can't be changed. At least not in a realistic way since 1) We need to see through the viewfinder and 2) It's hardware, the cameras would need to go back, be taken apart and have the digital overlays replaced with something other than what's already there.
Point 1 is referring to a different film for the LCD (Casio Watches have been doing this for a long time) where it colors the area around the LCD displayed numbers (you can have green, red, black etc) and the info displayed on the screen would be clear with a slight tint from the film that's placed over the numbers.
All that can really be done is to have an option to keep the viewfinder light on period.

Examples of Casio watches with different LCD films.
Attached Images

11-20-2021, 05:21 AM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Well that's what its for to indicate you have gained focus just like the red dots with the K-3 Mk I which go out when you have gained focus. Does your remapping of the button allow the viewfinder light to stay on after acquiring focus in any mode??
I do not think so. If yes please someone tell us how. I was just exactly thinking that, at least, new firmware release could - or even should - give K3iii users the feture to decide for HOW LONG the focus point have to be shown or highlighted.
Option 1: as it is now,
Optoin 2: 2 seconds
Option 3: 3 seconds
Of course the focus confirmation in the viewfinder always disappear when the focus is lost.
Despite the known question about the fact that this focus confirmation point is LCD, this suggestion above should be theoretically applicable. Am I right?

Last edited by mctaveck; 11-20-2021 at 05:21 AM. Reason: typo
11-27-2021, 01:11 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mctaveck Quote
I do not think so. If yes please someone tell us how. I was just exactly thinking that, at least, new firmware release could - or even should - give K3iii users the feture to decide for HOW LONG the focus point have to be shown or highlighted.
Option 1: as it is now,
Optoin 2: 2 seconds
Option 3: 3 seconds
Of course the focus confirmation in the viewfinder always disappear when the focus is lost.
Despite the known question about the fact that this focus confirmation point is LCD, this suggestion above should be theoretically applicable. Am I right?
Yes, you are right and I hope they are listening at Pentax