Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
05-16-2021, 01:15 PM   #1

K-3 iii user AF

Hey all,

got my K-3 iii last Friday and have not gone thru the camera very much, love the quiet clean shutter sound and the overall responsive of the camera. I found one setting which I don't understand and can't find the answer in the menu either. In the smart function setting, there is a ' user AF', it is not the AF area of AF mode, I look through the menu C2 but cannot find any details. Any idea ? Thanks

05-16-2021, 02:19 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Obviously it is a function that can be assigned to a user mode. I am not sure of what its specific definition is. If you assigned the function to a mode and tested it it may reveal what exactly it offers. On the other hand, if you do not quite have an understanding of the utilization of the user modes, you may want to refer to the manual for more information prior to resorting to it. I do not have the K-3 III model, so someone else may be more familiar than I am.

Good luck.
05-16-2021, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kinkindoll Quote
Hey all,

got my K-3 iii last Friday and have not gone thru the camera very much, love the quiet clean shutter sound and the overall responsive of the camera. I found one setting which I don't understand and can't find the answer in the menu either. In the smart function setting, there is a ' user AF', it is not the AF area of AF mode, I look through the menu C2 but cannot find any details. Any idea ? Thanks

This is the only function I've got set up on my Smart Function button (yet)
It simply means you can allocate a combination of a/f features to one position on the wheel - in my case, AFS/spot, AFC/spot and AFC/zone, then I can switch from AFS/spot to AFC/zone or whichever, with one or two clicks of the wheel, whilst keeping my eye to the viewfinder! A trick I managed on my K-70 by allocating my User Modes to the three different settings and a feature I missed on my KP!
Just remember, each one of your (potentially) ten User Modes can have their own set of Smart Functions - that's an awful lot of configurations
05-16-2021, 05:03 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Just remember, each one of your (potentially) ten User Modes can have their own set of Smart Functions - that's an awful lot of configurations
And even if one of your smart function selections exists in two user modes, you can have different subconfigurations for it! My sports mode right now is set up assuming outdoor, so I just have the three outdoor WB settings (and auto). In other user modes, I put some more things there. For drive mode for sports, I just have single, high, and medium (although medium is so fast I might add low back). I have a bracketing user mode that doesn’t have any of the continuous shooting drive modes in the wheel.

I have also just discovered that whether ISO steps are whole stop increments or increments like everything else (1/2 or 1/3) is saved by a user mode.

05-16-2021, 05:44 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks guys for your help. Actually i am still not quite understand the user AF but i will play around after finish my work. Thanks again
05-16-2021, 08:33 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks guys for your help. Actually i am still not quite understand the user AF but i will play around after finish my work. Thanks again
Rather than stressing over this just assign another function to that position. No need to have to complicate things while getting familiar with your new camera. FWIW, I don't use UserAF smart function at all. Until a more in-depth instruction manual is written all of this will cause a lot of consternation and distract you from enjoying getting out and experiencing your Mk III.
05-17-2021, 06:05 AM   #7

Yes, I need a tutorial on setting up user functions. I have never gotten my head wrapped around that. You would think someone has done one on Youtube as there are videos for justabout everything else. I need to look.

05-17-2021, 03:38 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I saw a video that does a basic explanation of the Smart Function and assigning/adjusting different functions to the User modes on the K-3 III. It shows some assignment and navigation activity using the Smart Function feature and some of the actual functions. Below is a shortcut to the video in case anyone is interested.

05-17-2021, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
Yesterday I setup the user AF under the smart function which I think is quite handy to use when you want to change the AF settings. There are 3 different setting you can assign to the user AF, what I do is 1). AF-S spot, 2). AF-S select 3). AF-C- select (M)
05-18-2021, 06:35 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Yesterday I setup the user AF under the smart function which I think is quite handy to use when you want to change the AF settings. There are 3 different setting you can assign to the user AF, what I do is 1). AF-S spot, 2). AF-S select 3). AF-C- select (M)
Excellent - pleased you figured it out
Just remember, you can allocate different Smart Function configurations to different User Modes so you can end up with a very personalised camera, exactly how you want to work!
Enjoy
05-18-2021, 01:14 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Excellent - pleased you figured it out
Just remember, you can allocate different Smart Function configurations to different User Modes so you can end up with a very personalised camera, exactly how you want to work!
Enjoy
Thanks, I put the DOF exposure bracket into the smart function as well which I found it is quite useful to shoot a photo in different aperture this can assure the subject can be focused accurately if you use a large aperture. I hope K-1 will have the same DOF bracket.