Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2021, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
Are you sure about the 5 seconds? This does not seem to be my experience with the K-1 (although I never measured the time it needed). I just did a quick test with the K-3 III with an exposure time of 1/125 and it was able to fire again after 8.5 seconds using a V90 card.

The resolution thing is not so simple. The amount of pixels is obviously the same, but the ability to reproduce small details accurately is quite a bit higher with Pixelshift.

Simplifying some of the problems involved, sampling theory says that for the green channel the resolution of a Bayer sensor is the same as that of a monochrome sensor; for the red and blue channels it is half of that. For the usable resolution the demosaicing technology is critical. This article concludes that “adaptive interpolation can lead to X and Y axis resolution as high as a monochrome array with the same pixel pitch” (p. 245). Practically, however, much of the information near the resolution limit risks being destroyed by aliasing and demosaicing artifacts. Part of the beauty of Pixelshift is that false colours resulting from these ugly things completely go away.

I would like to add that this holds for the Pentax implementation but less so for Sony’s. Judging from the A7R IV Pixelshift sample in DPR’s studio shot comparison tool, its output is not free of colour artifacts (but four times the pixel size).
I am certain it takes the K-1 about 5 seconds before the camera is ready to take another image using Pixel-Shift so it is not good news to hear it takes the K3III 8.5 seconds. Sad news really.

06-01-2021, 07:01 PM   #17
sbc

Photos: Albums
I think it depends on the scene but just tested it and it took 6.5sec.
Resolution does not increase but shooting at ISO6400, I can clearly see that noise has reduced significantly.
06-02-2021, 01:32 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My K-1 does not do hand-held PS, the PS save seems to be just be the time taken to [do motion correction and] write the raws/jpg. With the K-1ii hand-held PS was added, the camera has to align the different frames precisely - presumably using camera motion during the shot as part of the calculation - to produce the jpg. The K-3iii doesn't have hand-held PS either, but am I right to believe it produces a composite RAW and possibly does a better job of motion correction? Are we comparing apples, bananas and pears here???

For me, pixel shift only truly makes sense with completely static scenes - so the processing time isn't really an issue - it's not like I'm missing something while the camera does it's thing.
06-03-2021, 01:33 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
I am certain it takes the K-1 about 5 seconds before the camera is ready to take another image using Pixel-Shift so it is not good news to hear it takes the K3III 8.5 seconds. Sad news really.
Try again. I just did the same test as before with the K-1 and it took it 13 to 14 seconds to be ready for the next shot. It takes a little more than 5 seconds until the “Processing…” screen goes away, but that does not mean the camera can fire again. So the K-3 III is ready a little faster than the K-1.