Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-23-2021, 07:17 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Extra folder on card

The first time I formatted my cards in camera there was the usual DCIM folder plus an extra Pentax folder containing a dat. file. Just checked again after a camera format and the extra Pentax folder now contains an empty K3_iii folder. Anyone else seeing this Pentax folder on their cards? It has never been on the cards of any of my other cameras.

05-23-2021, 07:35 PM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
There is a MEMO on page 43 of the manual.............
05-23-2021, 08:03 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
There is a MEMO on page 43 of the manual.............
That’s a different thing. The memo in the manual is about what name the SD card will show up as when you insert it into a computer (volume name/label).

Yes, the extra folder is a new thing with the K-3 iii. I don’t think anyone has identified a purpose for it yet. I also haven’t had a chance to go rooting around for hidden files or folders in there.
05-23-2021, 08:48 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
That’s a different thing. The memo in the manual is about what name the SD card will show up as when you insert it into a computer (volume name/label).

Yes, the extra folder is a new thing with the K-3 iii. I don’t think anyone has identified a purpose for it yet. I also haven’t had a chance to go rooting around for hidden files or folders in there.
Thanks, good to know it's not just me and my camera.

05-23-2021, 09:33 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sqideyes Quote
The first time I formatted my cards in camera there was the usual DCIM folder plus an extra Pentax folder containing a dat. file. Just checked again after a camera format and the extra Pentax folder now contains an empty K3_iii folder. Anyone else seeing this Pentax folder on their cards? It has never been on the cards of any of my other cameras.
Oh, I thought there was actually a data file in there. I'll have to check again. I don't know what it's for either, but it looks reminiscent of the folder structure used by my Sony camcorder.
05-24-2021, 03:25 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote

'User settings' data perhaps??
05-24-2021, 05:58 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There should be three folders on an in camera formatted SD card. 1-System volume information folder containing an IndexerVolumeGuid folder and a WPSettings.dat folder. 2-PENTAX folder containing a K-3 III folder which contains a FILES.DAT folder. 3-DCIM which can contain the image folders.

if they concern you just do a google search for information on each one. As for me I'm not getting concerned about them as each time you format the card in camera it will write these folders to the card again. The System volume information folder will probably be written if you format the card in your computer with anyting above Windows 8.1.