Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2021, 12:07 AM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
RobG's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canberra
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,039
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Here is one video with gimbal, I used DA40XS as well as DA*16-50 for this video. I was a bit pushing it, and Will keep on pushing. That said, I have pretty good feeling now of what I want to avoid, and good thing is that it can be avoided.
The gimbal looks amazingly effective. Does the camera do CAF all by itself as long as you're recording?

09-15-2021, 02:33 AM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
RobG's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canberra
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,039
I recorded a couple more test clips today and the AFC isn't behaving how I expected. I'm not sure if it helps to post a video showing failed AF if the cause is user error.
09-15-2021, 02:49 AM   #33
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,446
Wow, K3III does 4K videos. Will get better ratings from DPReview. K3III does it all, fast FPS, 101 AF points tracking, and 4K video (with mechanical SR!?), it's getting hard to find excuses not to buy a K3 III .... ah yes, I forgot.. "now the price is too high"

Last edited by biz-engineer; 09-15-2021 at 03:04 AM.
09-15-2021, 04:09 AM   #34
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,062
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
The gimbal looks amazingly effective. Does the camera do CAF all by itself as long as you're recording?
No, I did buy focus motor and focus lenses manual, from wheel in that gimbal. I don't have to touch lens unless I want to zoom, but that I will do propably between the shots. Gimbal is super effective IMO. I did just try it with BMPCC4K and AF is not as intutive through gimbal and USB, so I'll stick with focusmotor with that camera too.


I'd recommend this gimbal in a heart beat, but only with focus motor. in total of 680€ it is not that big investment. Althou IF you are not going to use bigger cameras, then a bit smaller gimbal could do. This does carry BMPCC4k and 6K(pro too) with out problem(well I should buy extension bit for BMPCC use, but with my use so far I don't need the 'whole movement range), so it'll be good for many kind of work where I need it.

---------- Post added 09-15-21 at 14:11 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I recorded a couple more test clips today and the AFC isn't behaving how I expected. I'm not sure if it helps to post a video showing failed AF if the cause is user error.
I suppose that you used 16-50 PLM. I'm interested of which mode did you use and how did it go. Since this lens is in my mind for gimbal use and I'd like to 'trust' AF with it, since it should have AFC and face detection ect. perhaps it is video settings?

---------- Post added 09-15-21 at 14:23 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Wow, K3III does 4K videos. Will get better ratings from DPReview. K3III does it all, fast FPS, 101 AF points tracking, and 4K video (with mechanical SR!?), it's getting hard to find excuses not to buy a K3 III .... ah yes, I forgot.. "now the price is too high"

Yes, indeed. I suppose that Ricoh wanted to give good alternative for MILC also with video in mind. SR(yes mechanical) is good, but it could be more effective. Why I bought gimbal. For handheld shots SR is okay and when you turn it off, you'll see how much it actually do help you.


4K quality is 'good enough' and for some instances you don't simply need more. just make sure that you use somethign to steady your shots(tripod and slider is very good combo(as well as gimbal is)) FHD quality is very good.


I did just look alternative, like Panasonic S5. I lookd couple of videos and I did notice ugly jelly(they were runnin on the street and trees went like / / /) Have a look of me running up hill and trees are like | * it does have jelly, but compared to that it is just as bad or even less. I thought that I can do better with K-3III so I won't have to use big €€€ for other system. That said, other systems do have their strenghts, what they do lack is mirror and this 6 letter word at front. Pentax.

Yes it does cost quite a bit, but so far I'v been happy. Need to explore more. I have proper video cameras for the kind of work when I need to step up, and going to uppgrade those too. This K-3III is nice run and gun and it does pretty good with photos too

09-15-2021, 05:12 AM   #35
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
RobG's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canberra
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,039
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I suppose that you used 16-50 PLM. I'm interested of which mode did you use and how did it go. Since this lens is in my mind for gimbal use and I'd like to 'trust' AF with it, since it should have AFC and face detection ect. perhaps it is video settings?
Yes, I need to find time to experiment with the AFC in video mode. One part of the problem was the default full expanded AF which meant that once having focused at infinity, the camera didn't want to refocus on a sign in the middle of the scene. I find it a little disturbing that there's no indication of where or what it's focussing on, as opposed to all the green squares in still image AF.
09-21-2021, 12:47 PM   #36
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,062
Original Poster
This one is 4K, and shot today with gimbal. So kind of 'hand held'. I tried to have fun with my microphone too. It is nice to explore with that also. Nothing serious, but I'm quite happy with this one. I did not do any PP other than cut the clips. I did use colour profile in the camera. I did actually like that easyness, althou I do also like to play around with tones and all that, but this was fun easy thing to do this like this.

I loaded this one in video to get good quality out of it. Enjoy!


09-21-2021, 10:44 PM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,062
Original Poster
I can’t help thinking about rumoured patent exchange with Panasonic and how it would affect new Pentax cameras video capability in future. When I’m shooting video with K-3III, it clearly is ‘good enough’ and you can get pretty nice material out of it. Just have to avoid quick panning and jerky movements (which is not that different from other brands).

I’m hoping for better sensor readout speed so that this jello could be degraded in video but also in ES mode to make it even more improved and useful.

But what could come out from Panasonic would be probably better bit depth and hopefully there will be good support for External stuff too(I’m going to buy external monitor next. I need it for my BMPCC4K too, even that big screen is not ideal for properly seeing your framing as well as focus. Same goes for K-3III. With this it is more or less a guess..)

But I like it. My initial thought of video with K-3III has not changed. It can and hopefully will be better thou as I have a feeling that we are not getting the best what we could from this camera already.

10-15-2021, 06:26 AM   #38
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,062
Original Poster
Yeah,

I'v played around with my K-3III and my new Panasonic S5(I did chang one of my BMPCC4K to this). I'v been looking material side to side, and there are couple things which do remind me of material I do get out from both now. Pentax K-3III is still going to be my B-cam and mostly for stills(where it does perform very nice), but also for video. If you do get things right, it is quite good 8 bit 4K, even compared to Panasonic, in 4K 4.2.0.


Just a quick update, videos coming up later on.
02-05-2022, 03:00 AM   #39
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Espoo
Photos: Albums
Posts: 142
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Yeah,

I'v played around with my K-3III and my new Panasonic S5(I did chang one of my BMPCC4K to this). I'v been looking material side to side, and there are couple things which do remind me of material I do get out from both now. Pentax K-3III is still going to be my B-cam and mostly for stills(where it does perform very nice), but also for video. If you do get things right, it is quite good 8 bit 4K, even compared to Panasonic, in 4K 4.2.0.


Just a quick update, videos coming up later on.
Hey repaap, how has the K-3III held up during our Finnish winter?

I'm in the market to either upgrade my K-3 or switch platforms. I'm mostly looking to document farming projects I work on here in Finland, adding a bit of decent video (vs my Cat phone). I wouldn't call it particularly challenging so I'm hoping that if the K-3 is up to your standards it would be far and beyond my expectations!

But every time I pick up another camera I am reminded how much better Pentax ergonomics are (especially in comparison to Fujifilm's smaller cameras that I'm interested in).

The videos you've posted even handheld look quite good to me. I never had satisfactory results with my K-3 even on a tripod.

Are you still positive about the newest K-3's video? How about our super low light conditions during winter? Are you able to shoot comfortably at higher ISO for stills, like 6400 or even higher?

Hope its not too much to answer!
02-05-2022, 08:28 AM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,062
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Finchj Quote
Hey repaap, how has the K-3III held up during our Finnish winter?

I'm in the market to either upgrade my K-3 or switch platforms. I'm mostly looking to document farming projects I work on here in Finland, adding a bit of decent video (vs my Cat phone). I wouldn't call it particularly challenging so I'm hoping that if the K-3 is up to your standards it would be far and beyond my expectations!

But every time I pick up another camera I am reminded how much better Pentax ergonomics are (especially in comparison to Fujifilm's smaller cameras that I'm interested in).

The videos you've posted even handheld look quite good to me. I never had satisfactory results with my K-3 even on a tripod.

Are you still positive about the newest K-3's video? How about our super low light conditions during winter? Are you able to shoot comfortably at higher ISO for stills, like 6400 or even higher?

Hope its not too much to answer!
Hi!

For video, it is as I’v show’n so far. Hand Held it is okay. If you use any support, let alone gimbal, it does work quite well in video and 4K is quite nice, it is ’just’ 8 -bit. But still it is nice. Video I would not go higher than ISO 5000

On still mode, K-3III is very good. You can shoot 12800 and more. 3200 is clean, 6400 is also quite clean. AF is very nice too. Reliable and fast. 12 or 11fps with AF is marvelous and AF can keep up with tracking. Some pictures that I have captured when I did buy this. Camera, I was just amazed. Now I don’t have to think about it. Just choose mode (Ihave 3 user modes for different types of shooting) and shoot.

If you like Pentax interface, sturdyness and feel as well as very nice OVF, there is not any reason to not to upgrade to K-3III. For the things you are planning to capture. Older lenses seem to improve too, with this camera. motors are restricted for sertain speed, but this thing won’t hunt and it will get things spot on, soit is faster, also shutter is very nice.
02-05-2022, 08:36 AM   #41
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Espoo
Photos: Albums
Posts: 142
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Hi!

For video, it is as I’v show’n so far. Hand Held it is okay. If you use any support, let alone gimbal, it does work quite well in video and 4K is quite nice, it is ’just’ 8 -bit. But still it is nice. Video I would not go higher than ISO 5000

On still mode, K-3III is very good. You can shoot 12800 and more. 3200 is clean, 6400 is also quite clean. AF is very nice too. Reliable and fast. 12 or 11fps with AF is marvelous and AF can keep up with tracking. Some pictures that I have captured when I did buy this. Camera, I was just amazed. Now I don’t have to think about it. Just choose mode (Ihave 3 user modes for different types of shooting) and shoot.

If you like Pentax interface, sturdyness and feel as well as very nice OVF, there is not any reason to not to upgrade to K-3III. For the things you are planning to capture. Older lenses seem to improve too, with this camera. motors are restricted for sertain speed, but this thing won’t hunt and it will get things spot on, soit is faster, also shutter is very nice.
Thanks for the rundown!

Just gotta stash away a few more euros. Too bad we don't get the same trade-in and battery grip offers over here.

Cheers
02-05-2022, 12:57 PM - 2 Likes   #42
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,062
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Finchj Quote
Thanks for the rundown!

Just gotta stash away a few more euros. Too bad we don't get the same trade-in and battery grip offers over here.

Cheers
No problem at all

Yes, it is a pity that there are not sameoffers, perhaps if you order straight from Ricoh EU?

I did take some video today, hand held. To me it looks still okay, IF you will make sure that shutter and WB and all is correct. (1/60 for 30 fps or a bit higher(in case of flicker from lights) for example.


Here is one video i did with K-3III month a go. For this kind of stuff it is okay as you can see.. edit: and if you look my photos from flickr, almost all is taken with K-3III

04-01-2022, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian
Snapppy's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Photos: Albums
Posts: 475
Here is a collection of short wildlife clips I've recorded in the last few months of owning the Pentax K-3 III. All with DA* 300mm, all handheld with stabilization on (sorry, I know I know I should bring a tripod). Shot in 4k (YouTube should let you select 4k for quality, make sure you do if you're interested in that). All manual focus. At least with the DA* 300mm video autofocus was next to hopeless. For this use case manual makes more sense anyway.

Wanted to put this out for a while since people ask me about the Pentax K-3 III video capabilities. My take is that it's the best Pentax video yet

I also use it now for the broll of my other videos, which it does quite well at. Happy to not buy another camera just for that

04-03-2022, 12:08 AM   #44
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,062
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Snapppy Quote
Here is a collection of short wildlife clips I've recorded in the last few months of owning the Pentax K-3 III. All with DA* 300mm, all handheld with stabilization on (sorry, I know I know I should bring a tripod). Shot in 4k (YouTube should let you select 4k for quality, make sure you do if you're interested in that). All manual focus. At least with the DA* 300mm video autofocus was next to hopeless. For this use case manual makes more sense anyway.

Wanted to put this out for a while since people ask me about the Pentax K-3 III video capabilities. My take is that it's the best Pentax video yet

I also use it now for the broll of my other videos, which it does quite well at. Happy to not buy another camera just for that

https://youtu.be/BX39wkRUNHU
Hi!

Looking good! It would be even better with tripod but you know that

I do agree with you. For many kind of ’normal’ situations especially if you take care of stabilising camera, you can get quite nice video with K-3III. I’m using it time to time too.
1 Day Ago   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ehrwien's Avatar

Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,946
Some clips of martens, see description on YouTube for details.




Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
4k, 4k and fhd, af, afc, alternative, aps-c, bit, camera, dslr, focus, k-3 iii, k-3 mark 3, k-3iii 4k, lens, look, motor, post, post your k-3iii, trees, video, video 4k, videos
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-3iii and Bluetooth mysterick Pentax K-3 III 17 07-25-2021 03:00 AM
K-3iii vs a7iii high iso. And the winner is... jhaji Pentax K-3 III 13 04-26-2021 09:01 AM
Retina, 4K and FHD in post processing RAW files ? biz-engineer Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 5 01-31-2018 04:56 PM
Black Magic releasing 4K camera for $4k and Pocket RAW video camera for $1k ploetzlich Photographic Industry and Professionals 9 08-07-2013 04:18 PM
Embedding Youtube Videos: share your videos here! Adam Video Recording and Processing 1 09-25-2009 04:52 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:15 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top