Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
05-24-2021, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Post your K-3III 4K and FHD videos!

Yeah, I think that many are interested of what it will be like(moderators, please if you think that it should be in video patrment, this can be moved to more proper place?).

I did buy K-3 III mostly because of it's photographic amazeness, but also thinking if I could use that 4K and/or FHD capabilities too, with out the need of buying, model with out a mirror in it.

So, let's have it!

Here is one of my handheld video from yesterday. I strongly recommend some sort of rigging system for hand held video.I tried different approach today and propably new material is coming later this week. But we have to begin with something, right.

I'll try VImeo and youtube later on if that should fit better for posting videos.

So far with what I'v seen, I'm impressed and I have accepted challenge to try to get better with this!

05-24-2021, 12:53 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Original Poster
One more with same theme, Shot in 4K and edited to 1080. I used gorillapod to get support points to my body and also I got handle, really made difference and it is still mobile. Good thing with that is that it can be placed on ground too ect.

05-24-2021, 11:37 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yeah, I did play around with camera today. Just quick note. SR and camera struggle with 4K 24fps, and there is simple explnation for that one thing is that 24 FPS and panning speed all in all at that speed if one want smooth result. @ 30 FPS it is better, for that same reson. I switched to FHD and 60 FPS and it does really stabilise the whole camera for even complete hand held use through out. It is smoooooth. Not only SR working well, but also jello being minimised quite a bit, almost to none. THIS is amazing. I'll play around with that after work. And report back later...
06-02-2021, 01:22 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just to keep this thread alive. I'm still shooting video with this thing. Now i'll try harder to get good result, before posting. My finding so far. Back screen, even if i was bigger(I have BMPCC4K whic is 3 times the size of this and fixed, but tilted) I do understand the idea someone did throw to have external EVF via HDMI where you can put your eye to. ( I would like one for my BM4K too) It is very hard to see, even if I could flip and turn that thing, it would not really help. It is too small. it is fine, if you can pre focus with 70-100% magnification and then start filming. But IF you want to do focus pulling...forget it. it is down to luck, and good luck with that. I have same thing with BM4K and it is M4/3. Wider and more forgiving Dof.

I'v shot side to side with Black magic too. Yes, BMP4K is better, but there is stills something at here.

But you'll hear from me later.

I'm looking forward of others findings.

06-02-2021, 02:43 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for posting these. Which lens (or lenses) were you using?

Edit: I just found which in the comments on your Flickr post. How have you found the AF with the 28-105?
06-03-2021, 02:23 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Thanks for posting these. Which lens (or lenses) were you using?

Edit: I just found which in the comments on your Flickr post. How have you found the AF with the 28-105?
It is not continious AF. AF all in all is good. It is possible to change focus during video, but you have to use AF button or use touch screen. I’m waiting for 16-50PLM to see how that continious AF will work. I’v used DFA 15-30 and 28-105 and *70-200 and DA*16-50SDM and *55. As well as DA40XS. They all work the same. Sometimes hunting not so often.
06-03-2021, 03:26 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
It is not continious AF. AF all in all is good. It is possible to change focus during video, but you have to use AF button or use touch screen. I’m waiting for 16-50PLM to see how that continious AF will work. I’v used DFA 15-30 and 28-105 and *70-200 and DA*16-50SDM and *55. As well as DA40XS. They all work the same. Sometimes hunting not so often.
Great. Thanks for those comments. It seems like the PLM lenses will be favoured for the K-3iii for several reasons.

06-03-2021, 04:10 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Great. Thanks for those comments. It seems like the PLM lenses will be favoured for the K-3iii for several reasons.
No problem. Yes, PLM will open some new options. When I have recovered from this purchase, I’ll propably buy 16-50PLM. But it wount happen soon...lens should be out quite soon, so I’ll have to just sit and wait what others do say...
06-03-2021, 01:11 PM - 3 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I did quick and dirty video, with no cross fades, ect...but I did do some grading in Da Vinci resolve. I used HDR nodes and then adjusted some balance with all of them. I could have gone further, but I decided to see what this looks like.
All in all I'm happy with that result. I did shoot it in 4K, but edited it to be 1080.

Set was monopod +ballhead and K-3III and DA*55. I did get some added stability. And it was light and manoverable set. This was in my mind(not this exactly) when I thought that this could be fun set up. Fun, agile and good enough image quality.

Well look at it your self.

going to do some 4K material soon too...
06-05-2021, 08:28 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thank you for these, and some recommendations:
  • Please try something much simpler w/o the focus torture tests----some of the clips would need pro level technique to make them work. Just a simple slow pan, or static shot of activity in the middle range, not foreground.
  • Please try some deliberate change of focus clips---short range and mid range
  • Please try some activity tracking
  • please try some panning/tracking of something that isn't moving, but maybe has foreground to background range.
06-05-2021, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Thank you for these, and some recommendations:
  • Please try something much simpler w/o the focus torture tests----some of the clips would need pro level technique to make them work. Just a simple slow pan, or static shot of activity in the middle range, not foreground.
  • Please try some deliberate change of focus clips---short range and mid range
  • Please try some activity tracking
  • please try some panning/tracking of something that isn't moving, but maybe has foreground to background range.
Hi! No problem. I’v done, and will how ever keep on doing ’torture’ test just to see what is needed and what can be achieved to get something ’cool’(to me) with not much of tripods ect. Also I’m trying to learn new skills.

I’m going to get tripod out when things does ease up a bit. So more of that kind of work what you requested for is coming

For panning and stuff connected to that we have that 24/30FPS for 4 K which is restricting it to be in limits of that fps ofcourse, I can see that for handheld it is a challenge, this is why I introduced monopod. But that will still need some work to be effective.

I’m looking for getting PLM lens for focusing during filming, or then I should get tripod, because of rotating the lens for focus does get in twist to camera movement, due nature of how it is being done. Same goes for zoom...but. Yes. I’ll try to get tripod and movie head out as well as zoom rail. Because it will improve the results even for focus pulls
06-09-2021, 12:14 AM - 4 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Alright, here is now material shot in 4K and not much done to it, other than stabilising in resolve. I wanted to try how it would look and it sertainly did smooth some jitter. I did pannin, sliding, almost every trick I know that I can handle...would still need more heavy tripod, or gimbal to pull more tricks our.(I'll come back to that gimbal when I get money)

Not much PP, shot in flat, but colour balance correct(or close to correct) and lifted shadows and corrected highlights(this is why you shoot flat, right?)

microphone was cameras own, this is why it does sound as it does, and I did nothign to that sound... this is in youtube now in 4K. (edit, I'm going to edit that sound at the end away. just my luck that they did come when I was there to cut the grass...)

(edit: I had to replace the video, because the end was so bad with that audio...)

Last edited by repaap; 06-09-2021 at 12:45 AM.
06-10-2021, 01:16 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
One note on the video up there. Due problem of forgetting my expensive SDHC UHSII card, and it was a busy morning, I did shoot 4K on my older UHS I V30 rated card (90mbps), and I did not see any problems what so ever. As we know that video rating is not faster than 90 MB/s.

My thoughts on this. While I’m happy that my older cards will do just fine for video, I’m some what puzzled. I think that I’m going to ask about it from Ricoh (Scandinavia) if they are going to in future unleash more of bits through that port, since there is already that Improved card slot at there. Not going to hold my breath. But as I do remember that some of more early material did imply that there would be 25 and 50 FPS option for FHD. And in final product there is not any, I can’t help to think that this might be a compromised output. And that they would come back to that later? I’m not sure how much data flows in photo mode either.

It could be that there is update coming when they get things and bugs shaved off. That could also get rid of some of that crop In 4K. I’v watched that 4K what I did shoot, and to my eye it is very nice, in fact, I’m going to sell both of black magic pocket 4K and get one better video machine and keep this as back up and b-can and for when this quality is enough as my one camera set up(photo&video). But this will happen when I get my K-new paid up and that new 16-50...hopefully by autumn
06-11-2021, 09:44 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Alright, here is now material shot in 4K and not much done to it, other than stabilising in resolve. I wanted to try how it would look and it sertainly did smooth some jitter. I did pannin, sliding, almost every trick I know that I can handle...would still need more heavy tripod, or gimbal to pull more tricks our.(I'll come back to that gimbal when I get money)

Not much PP, shot in flat, but colour balance correct(or close to correct) and lifted shadows and corrected highlights(this is why you shoot flat, right?)

microphone was cameras own, this is why it does sound as it does, and I did nothign to that sound... this is in youtube now in 4K. (edit, I'm going to edit that sound at the end away. just my luck that they did come when I was there to cut the grass...)

(edit: I had to replace the video, because the end was so bad with that audio...)

https://youtu.be/WL2AuVNf5bw
This was a nice sample video. So, for some of the closer panning shots: did you allow the camera to find focus, or did you use the touch screen to re-focus?

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, but I've been having a serious work week.
06-11-2021, 01:26 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
This was a nice sample video. So, for some of the closer panning shots: did you allow the camera to find focus, or did you use the touch screen to re-focus?

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, but I've been having a serious work week.
I’m having a bad ass work week. No. I had it in manual focus. I don’t have any PLM lenses to be able to try continious AF. With SDM and DC lenses You can touch screen for it to find af during video, but I did not use that. In couple of scenes I did do manual focus pull. It is very hard with small screen, so I did practice with 100% magnification before shoot. There is gear where you can have focus limiter and all that for precise focus pulls, but I don’t have that. Just my nimble fingers.