QuoteQuote:
K-3 III How-to: Using M and K Lenses
How to use M and K series lenses with the K-3 III
By PF Staff in Articles and Tips on May 27, 2021

K-3 III How-to: Using M and K Lenses - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

05-28-2021, 01:34 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The article (post #16) mentions setting the aperture on the camera with the rear e-dial as an option, besides setting it on the lens, without an explanation why you should do that. This is what I got playing with the camera (Pentax-M 1:4 20mm):

When menu C6 Aperture Info Record = On, it appears that the entered e-dial value is shown on the LCD screen, on the Status screen, and on the Playback Information screens (with button [>]). Most importantly, this value is also stored in the EXIF data, not the value set on the lens (you can test this by setting different values). So, I would say this is more a required setting than optional, unless you don't care what's in the EXIF and on the screens.

When menu C6 Aperture Info Record = Off, no aperture value is visible on the LCD screen, on the Status screen, and on the Playback Information screens, and also no value is stored in EXIF (showing f/0.0).

Setting menu C6 Aperture Info Record = On is necessary for Av, TAv and M alike (M with green button) to get the aperture value saved.

To be clear, the aperture setting on the lens and with the e-dial are completely independent. The former is used for depth of field and involved adjusting the correct exposure when the shutter button is pressed, the latter is only used for the EXIF and the screens.
05-28-2021, 06:02 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
To be clear, the aperture setting on the lens and with the e-dial are completely independent. The former is used for depth of field and involved adjusting the correct exposure when the shutter button is pressed, the latter is only used for the EXIF and the screens.
Yes, that has been my understanding of how it works, anyway.

Steve
05-28-2021, 06:26 PM   #19

That's how I gathered it works from the feature announcements and the "Touch and Try" video session from CP+. See my earlier posts on the "uncrippled K-mount and the K-3 new" and the "Touch and Try" video.

05-29-2021, 02:45 AM   #20
Pentaxian

What focus settings in camera should be used on manual lenses to get accurate (manual) focus confirmation? Centre focus point?
05-29-2021, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote
What focus settings in camera should be used on manual lenses to get accurate (manual) focus confirmation? Centre focus point?
When I want to be sure it is perfectly sharp I use the hexagon in combination with a visual check on the ground glass. But when using short lenses at about f/8 focus is very easy (hyperfocal distance). I only concentrate on composition, turn the lens to infinity and then a fraction back, and everything is sharp from infinity to 1.5 meters, works super fast.

See also this inspiring video from Yuriko Omura on the Photographer’s perspective page from Ricoh:
Impressions | PENTAX K-3 Mark III | RICOH IMAGING
05-29-2021, 06:14 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
When I want to be sure it is perfectly sharp I use the hexagon in combination with a visual check on the ground glass. But when using short lenses at about f/8 focus is very easy (hyperfocal distance). I only concentrate on composition, turn the lens to infinity and then a fraction back, and everything is sharp from infinity to 1.5 meters, works super fast.

See also this inspiring video from Yuriko Omura on the Photographer’s perspective page from Ricoh:
Impressions | PENTAX K-3 Mark III | RICOH IMAGING
Thanks for your comments and the inspiring link to the photographers impressions videos.