Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-25-2021, 11:02 PM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Curious K3iii grip feature

The grip has a space to store a spare SD card in the battery carrier. What an interesting decision to use this little bit of spare room!

05-25-2021, 11:07 PM   #2
Forum Member

This has been there for some time. It is the same on my K-5 IIs grip.
05-25-2021, 11:08 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjsaure Quote
OK, I didn't know. I haven't had a grip for any of the recent DSLRs.
05-25-2021, 11:23 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
THE QUESTION IS?????? Why didn't they update the holder so it could hold 2 SD cards.

05-26-2021, 11:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
THE QUESTION IS?????? Why didn't they update the holder so it could hold 2 SD cards.
Very true, and that question should have been asked for the grips of the K-3 and K-3 II as well.

But it must be said, it is a nice touch regardless.

This particular point aside, the new grip is a vast improvement on the previous ones. Mostly because of the added controls, but I love the fact that it has a strap attachment now. That will certainly avoid the strap getting in my way in portrait orientation! Something I always struggled with before.
05-26-2021, 12:24 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Things they could offer

GPS in the grip
Integrated Battery
Extra storage (memory)

There is a lot of space to work with, pentax seems to be sticking with the same formula.
05-26-2021, 02:09 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Very true, and that question should have been asked for the grips of the K-3 and K-3 II as well.

But it must be said, it is a nice touch regardless.

This particular point aside, the new grip is a vast improvement on the previous ones. Mostly because of the added controls, but I love the fact that it has a strap attachment now. That will certainly avoid the strap getting in my way in portrait orientation! Something I always struggled with before.

Yes, glad to see the handstrap loop on this grip. same as K-1 grip.

I have to say tho.... I do not like the e-dial sticking out of the top of the grip, yes, I understand the aesthetics point of making the controls look the same as the camera, but the way the dial juts out actually makes it way to easy to turn when holding camera normally and trying to adjust setting you put all the main weight on he lower part of your hand and it actually sticks into the heal of my palm, causing a bit of discomfort after holding for a short time. It's like having a rock in your shoe.

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
Things they could offer

GPS in the grip
Integrated Battery
Extra storage (memory)

There is a lot of space to work with, pentax seems to be sticking with the same formula.
Yes, a GPS could be in there, as you say they just kept with the same forme, but decided no more AA battery tray, so maybe it should have been an integrated battery or even two batteries in the grip. with a stem that goes up into the camera body that replaces the battery in the camera, so as the grip does not have to be constantly removed to recharge that battery. The battery grip on my MZ-5 did exactly that, and that was 25 years ago, and most other brands actually do this now.

05-31-2021, 06:04 AM   #8
sbc
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pjsaure Quote
All the way back, the K10D grip is even more amazing. It can store the Remote F in addition to a spare SD card.

---------- Post added 05-31-21 at 21:31 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
Yes, glad to see the handstrap loop on this grip. same as K-1 grip.

Yes, a GPS could be in there, as you say they just kept with the same forme, but decided no more AA battery tray, so maybe it should have been an integrated battery or even two batteries in the grip. with a stem that goes up into the camera body that replaces the battery in the camera, so as the grip does not have to be constantly removed to recharge that battery. The battery grip on my MZ-5 did exactly that, and that was 25 years ago, and most other brands actually do this now.
Pentax expects you to charge the batteries using USB cable now.