Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
05-31-2021, 06:24 AM   #1
Unregistered User

So... What about the AF?

I was wondering if the AF of the new Pentax K-3 III is any better than previous versions and if so, how much?

What's new?

05-31-2021, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There’s a bunch of threads on this subject already. You might start by looking at them.
05-31-2021, 06:48 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
I was wondering if the AF of the new Pentax K-3 III is any better than previous versions and if so, how much?
What's new?

Yes, it's better … how much? … what are your parameters?
05-31-2021, 07:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
There’s a bunch of threads on this subject already. You might start by looking at them.
I sometimes think it's 50% of the forum.

05-31-2021, 08:34 AM   #5
Unregistered User

So, I did a search and did not find the answer I was looking for. Just a lot of questions with guesses as answers.

So, do you have any posts I can look at?

---------- Post added 05-31-21 at 05:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Yes, it's better … how much? … what are your parameters?
I do not know what you mean with "what are your parameters?"

My question is if it is useful or if it is as useless as before but just a little better?
05-31-2021, 09:53 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My question is if it is useful or if it is as useless as before but just a little better?

Hey mods, is there a way to call out this obvious trolling without getting a stern talking to? Because this seems to be the opposite of the spirit of the forum.
05-31-2021, 09:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Here’s one of the many, many threads on the subject: AF-C of K-3III is impressive - PentaxForums.com

05-31-2021, 10:51 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All reports suggest it's knocking on the door of D500 level AF but with a smaller buffer.
A huge step forward over previous Pentax bodies. Does that answer your question?

If you need more detail, do some more research in the K3iii sub-forum for your specific use case.
05-31-2021, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #9
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote

Hey mods, is there a way to call out this obvious trolling without getting a stern talking to? Because this seems to be the opposite of the spirit of the forum.
This is not trolling at all. Maybe a little provocative but no trolling whatsoever.

The AF on all Pentax cameras before has not been good. A little better every time but never good.

Using the K-1 with DFA150-450 and AF.C is useless. It is unable to track most of the time so it is AF.S with Spot or Small trying to focus and shoot. I have very good technique and nowadays I get a pretty high amount of sharp images shooting wild life.

So I want to know if the AF now is able to track a bird or a deer and get sharp images. If the eye-AF is a gimmic or useful.

No need to be so defensive. I am a hardcore Pentaxian.

---------- Post added 05-31-21 at 10:43 PM ----------

Here’s one of the many, many threads on the subject: AF-C of K-3III is impressive - PentaxForums.com
Thanks, I will check that one out.

---------- Post added 05-31-21 at 10:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
All reports suggest it's knocking on the door of D500 level AF but with a smaller buffer.
A huge step forward over previous Pentax bodies. Does that answer your question?

If you need more detail, do some more research in the K3iii sub-forum for your specific use case.
I heard that to, wanted to hear from new users what they think. If it is as good as one want it to be.

I have received my copy of the K-3 III but have not been able to test the AF.C yet.
05-31-2021, 02:39 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is not trolling at all. Maybe a little provocative but no trolling whatsoever.

The AF on all Pentax cameras before has not been good. A little better every time but never good.

Using the K-1 with DFA150-450 and AF.C is useless. It is unable to track most of the time so it is AF.S with Spot or Small trying to focus and shoot. I have very good technique and nowadays I get a pretty high amount of sharp images shooting wild life.

So I want to know if the AF now is able to track a bird or a deer and get sharp images. If the eye-AF is a gimmic or useful.
The K-3 III AF.C is absolutely leaps and bounds better than anything Pentax has previously done.
As a matter of fact, it's so much better, that even my screw drive lenses aren't so bad to use anymore while tracking birds (I'm talking about a Sigma 170-500 APO, the older non DG version). The camera is more "aware" of what to do with the AF and it doesn't hunt anymore with screw drive lenses (at least not nearly as much as before). DC and PLM based lenses are VERY quick to lock focus. The AF is now MUCH more decisive in AF.C. It's honestly hard to believe that Pentax, ya PENTAX made this thing. The experience is that different.

Just over the weekend I was doing another YouTube video and had my K-3 with me. I shot with the K-3 III then switched the lens over to my K-3. It took all of maybe 20 seconds before I muttered "Oh my god, this is weird. I loved this camera, but wow does it just feel slow and clunky". SO ya, tracking action whether it's on the ground or things in flight, being able to capture those split second opportunities, we finally have that camera.

The K-3 III is a "sum of all parts" camera. It's not just the vast improvements in AF, it's how fast the camera responds to EVERY input as well. It's just a darn fast camera in general.

Now, as for the eye-AF, it's not a gimmick, but you need to also keep in mind that this is a first generation implementation of eye-AF into a DSLR and can't be compared to mirrorless expectations, it won't even come close. It does work, but in limited scope. Yes the AF may seem to track, but when you take the shot, it may not have focused directly on the eye, maybe the ear, eyebrow, cheek bone just below the eye, those are usually what I end up with along with a couple that are clearly focused on the eye. Distance from the camera seems to play a part (headshots do well, torso and up not as well, full body? Forget it).
I'm still doing some more testing on it. Also, the subject recognition (for face/eye detection in OVF) only works in full auto AF or Zone AF as long as you have subject recognition turned on in the menu.

Last edited by Kobie; 05-31-2021 at 03:45 PM.
05-31-2021, 02:48 PM - 1 Like   #11
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
The K-3 III AF.C is absolutely leaps and bounds better than anything Pentax has previously done.
As a matter of fact, it's so much better, that even my screw drive lenses aren't so bad to use anymore while tracking birds (I'm talking about a Sigma 170-500 APO, the older non DG version). The camera is more "aware" of what to do with the AF and it doesn't hunt anymore with screw drive drive lenses (at least not nearly as much as before). DC and PLM based lenses are VERY quick to lock focus. The AF is now MUCH more decisive in AF.C. It's honestly hard to believe that Pentax, ya PENTAX made this thing. The experience is that different.

Just over the weekend I was doing another YouTube video and had my K-3 with me. I shot with the K-3 III then switched the lens over to my K-3. It took all of maybe 20 seconds before I muttered "Oh my god, this is weird. I loved this camera, but wow does it just feel slow and clunky". SO ya, tracking action whether it's on the ground or things in flight, being able to capture those split second opportunities, we finally have that camera.

The K-3 III is a "sum of all parts" camera. It's not just the vast improvements in AF, it's how fast the camera responds to EVERY input as well. It's just a darn fast camera in general.

Now, as for the eye-AF, it's not a gimmick, but you need to also keep in mind that this is a first generation implementation of eye-AF into a DSLR and can't be compared to mirrorless expectations, it won't even come close. It does work, but in limited scope. Yes the AF may seem to track, but when you take the shot, it may not have focused directly on the eye, maybe the ear, eyebrow, cheek bone just below the eye, those are usually what I end up with along with a couple that are clearly focused on the eye. Distance from the camera seems to play a part (headshots do well, torso and up not as well, full body? Forget it).
I'm still doing some more testing on it. Also, the subject recognition (for face/eye detection in OVF) only works in full auto AF or Zone AF as long as you have subject recognition turned on in the menu.
Thanks! Sounds hopeful!
06-01-2021, 02:25 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lab tests are still forthcoming. But I have no doubt AF has been substantially improved for tracking moving subjects. The K-3 III has obviously been designed for greatly improved performance of burst shooting, with much higher frame rates per second, so AF will have to be upgraded for such a system to work.
06-01-2021, 03:20 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

For a lot of stuff (ie wildlife... birds etc)..... I can still see afs and spot being the go a fair bit of the time. I just spent a week with the K3III and DFA 150-450 in the country.

So.... do you want focus in the head or back feathers?.... I'd go back with a bit more DOF dialed in...

Whilst I'm still to form any strong view..... it is clear this camera delivers a leap in certain aspects of it's focussing capability.... that is real and unprecedented..... however.... when shooting in dynamic situations.... poop in and poop out is what you get. Simple static scenarios are easily managed.... ie Air shows, cars going around a track, dog on a beach etc... get your settings right and it will serve you well..... but in dynamic wildlife scenarious you need to be able to move between various settings effeciently with appropiate knowledge...etc. Given the high standards some have.... this isn't just a simple given.

Given some of the previous pentax focus traits.... a lot of has have ways of managing things..... and getting great results.... now it's play time setting some of these aside and seeing what the camera delivers.... time will tell.

Last edited by noelpolar; 06-01-2021 at 03:30 AM.
06-01-2021, 07:52 AM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is not trolling at all. Maybe a little provocative but no trolling whatsoever. , . .

fail to see why the OP feels the need to be

QuoteQuote:
Maybe a little provocative
provocation invites retaliation

i agree with @ pres589

not a very helpful thread IMHO

but what do I know

perhaps instead of being a little provocative the OP could look at threads posted under the K 3 III section

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/210-pentax-k-3-iii/

including the photo thread which show some efforts of photographing subjects using shutter burst mode

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/210-pentax-k-3-iii/423608-post-your-k3-i...ml#post5266079

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/210-pentax-k-3-iii/423608-post-your-k3-i...ml#post5269779

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/210-pentax-k-3-iii/423608-post-your-k3-i...ml#post5286100

Last edited by aslyfox; 06-01-2021 at 08:03 AM.
06-01-2021, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

What's new?
You are an owner, right? Perhaps you can share your experience?

Steve
Closed Thread