Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 187 Likes Search this Thread
06-05-2021, 01:06 AM   #166
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
How many shutter makers are there? Copal, Seiko? Same shutter goes into lots of different camera models.

Anyway. Testing a camera on a flimsy platform is meaningless for general conclusions. Cameras may have equal shutter vibration level but vary in frequency and, hence, will interact with the rest of the inadequate systems in an unpredictable manner depending on characteristics of that system (like resonances etc) and the interaction of this system with the camera body's properties. Consequently, the result is a hit and miss affair. Some matches will be good. Others bad.
Finally Richard Butler has said
"We use a very heavy-duty tripod, weighted down with sand bags. We wouldn't commit the amount of time (and hence money) that we do to our studio tests only to cut corners or cheap-out when it comes to the gear we use."
They definitely aren't using a flimsy tripod so what could be causing this blur? If the camera isn't moving is the only alternative that the sensor is moving?

06-05-2021, 02:12 AM   #167
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Finally Richard Butler has said
"We use a very heavy-duty tripod, weighted down with sand bags. We wouldn't commit the amount of time (and hence money) that we do to our studio tests only to cut corners or cheap-out when it comes to the gear we use."
They definitely aren't using a flimsy tripod so what could be causing this blur? If the camera isn't moving is the only alternative that the sensor is moving?
Then there must be something wrong with the camera (SR system). No camera that I'm aware of will make blurry images from shutter vibration when mounted on a heavy duty tripod......
06-05-2021, 02:22 AM   #168
Pentaxian

Then there must be something wrong with the camera (SR system). No camera that I'm aware of will make blurry images from shutter vibration when mounted on a heavy duty tripod......
Could you make a list of the cameras you are aware of? It would be quite short I guess

DPReview actually got shutter shake with quite a few cameras.
5DS R, D750, D780, D800E, D810, A7R - and likely many many others
In Fine Detail: Canon EOS 5DS / 5DS R In-Depth Review: Digital Photography Review
Nikon D780 Review: Digital Photography Review
06-05-2021, 02:28 AM   #169
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On a sturdy tripod? I haven't managed that even with a medium format camera.

If you get blurry images from shutter vibration on a sturdy tripod the tripod is not sturdy by definition......

06-05-2021, 02:30 AM   #170
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd probably close the thread. It doesn't seem terribly productive any more -- mostly rants against DP Review or Pentax, as the case may be. Certainly we aren't going to solve if they have a bad camera or if it is some more global issue.
06-05-2021, 02:31 AM   #171
Pentaxian

On the same support as for the K-3iii.
06-05-2021, 02:32 AM   #172
Pentaxian

Again I think people under estimate how fine a blur the studio scene makes visible. In a way it's perverse because very few photographers make use of the finest detail. On the other hand that's where the improvements on 15 year old cameras are happening.

So in other words most people could make due with a 10 year old camera and not notice any IQ degradation. This makes the low iso studio scene irrelevant for the vast majority of photographers. For some it does make a difference.

It is a sign of good intellect and character to know what you need and not fuss about things irrelevant to you.

06-05-2021, 02:34 AM   #173
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you get blurry images from shutter vibration on a sturdy tripod the tripod is not sturdy by definition......
My understanding with shutter shock is that it most definitely can occur on a sturdy tripod and that it's more likely to appear there than hand held images. It can happen with certain lenses and certain shutter speeds. People complained about it a lot with the K-1 and the DFA 28-105 (which I don't own). The only solution seems to be using electronic shutters or avoiding the particular shutter speeds that are problematic.
06-05-2021, 02:35 AM   #174
Pentaxian

If that's the case you are either lucky and skip the critical shutter speeds or your lenses, technique, subjects or critique are such that you don't notice it. You can't perfectly cure shutter shock with the tripod. The vibrations can occur inside the camera itself.
06-05-2021, 02:36 AM - 2 Likes   #175
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
On the same support as for the K-3iii.
Well, my camera is in the mail and will arrive next week. I'll put it to the test on my sturdy tripod...
I will be surprised if I'm able to recreate dpreviews results.
06-05-2021, 02:43 AM   #176
Pentaxian

Well, my camera is in the mail and will arrive next week. I'll put it to the test on my sturdy tripod...
Please keep us posted.

Of course, I'm not ruling out the possibility that there's something with the DPR's setup - even though they tried to make it shake-resistant. On the contrary, I think they should investigate it (even if "just in case")
06-05-2021, 02:47 AM   #177
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good to hear that your camera is on its way, finally. Reading the latest posts about this in the dpreview forum, it looks like this is a bug in the software. I have used my own camera for two weeks now and I am surprised of how many bugs there are in K-3 III. But there is a completely new menu system and probably a new operating system, too. And I suspect Pentax was in a hurry to release this camera late in april to get most of this sales season. So I think they have cut a lot of corners to get it ready. Some of the bugs are so obvious that they must have known about it when it was released.
06-05-2021, 03:32 AM   #178
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
Good to hear that your camera is on its way, finally. Reading the latest posts about this in the dpreview forum, it looks like this is a bug in the software. I have used my own camera for two weeks now and I am surprised of how many bugs there are in K-3 III. But there is a completely new menu system and probably a new operating system, too. And I suspect Pentax was in a hurry to release this camera late in april to get most of this sales season. So I think they have cut a lot of corners to get it ready. Some of the bugs are so obvious that they must have known about it when it was released.
Is there a list of those bugs somewhere?
06-05-2021, 05:35 AM - 3 Likes   #179
Loyal Site Supporter

Thread closed

So, after multiple complaints and calls to close this thread (including from other moderators), that's what I'm doing. In one way it's a pity, but it does seem to be running out of gas now. Hopefully the next thread about the K3III's problems/issues will have the addition of more user experiences. And less sniping and insults.
Closed Thread