Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2021, 11:15 PM - 4 Likes   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Yep

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
So far not one other person has reported the problem after testing for it, including myself.

It's far more likely the DPReview camera has what is in actuality pilot error, or a fault, and the only people that should be embarrassed about a total lack of professionalism either way, work at DPReview.

Until the problem can be replicated anywhere else by anyone else, it's not really a problem, is it?
I repeat, I was not able to replicate this issue. I've been testing the K3 Mk III longer than DPR. I attempted to duplicate their findings at 1/60-160th of a second using three different lenses and images were spot on. I gave up. It's a waste of time trying to duplicate a botched test, and DPR will be the last to admit they did. Their reputation declines with every new camera review they do, which is probably why they post 80% or more click bait articles now.

There was ZERO professional courtesy shown on their part to Pentax. There are many other possibilities for those findings on their part, starting with the lens, or the camera sample they have. The fact that nobody else can duplicate this themselves is troubling. Did they try two cameras? Nope. One test unit. Did they try other lenses?

Irresponsible if you ask me.

Pentax doesn't fly DPR to the bahamas and hold them up in Hotels like other brands do, and they are harder on Pentax than any other brand. Odd coincidence there.

05-31-2021, 11:34 PM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

I think it is possible that the problem is only with the DA★ 55mm.
05-31-2021, 11:45 PM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
So far not one other person has reported the problem after testing for it, including myself.

It's far more likely the DPReview camera has what is in actuality pilot error, or a fault, and the only people that should be embarrassed about a total lack of professionalism either way, work at DPReview.

Until the problem can be replicated anywhere else by anyone else, it's not really a problem, is it?
This thread has being active for less than one day. How many people do you think have done tests for this so far in the same conditions as dpreview, with a tripod and the same lens?

06-01-2021, 12:44 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
This thread has being active for less than one day. How many people do you think have done tests for this so far in the same conditions as dpreview, with a tripod and the same lens?
How are we even supposed to guess what tripod they're using? If they're using a tripod (obviously not the only way of fixing a camera in place).

06-01-2021, 12:45 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rush2112 Quote
I repeat, I was not able to replicate this issue. I've been testing the K3 Mk III longer than DPR. I attempted to duplicate their findings at 1/60-160th of a second using three different lenses and images were spot on.
On a tripod I suppose? Handheld would be different.
06-01-2021, 01:11 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
I think it is possible that the problem is only with the DA★ 55mm.
Which is the only lens DPReview used on the K-3 III.
In my opinion not the best choice. They should've used a macro or star lens to archieve highest sharpness.
06-01-2021, 01:14 AM   #37
Veteran Member

I have a similar issue on my K-3 III, although it's possibly not the same.

When I used my manual K50/1.2 lens in Av mode (hand held), the results often (not always, but most of the time) come out very blurred with the aperture set (and dialled in) at f/1.2 or near wide open. Same settings in M (i.e. without the automatic stop down for metering) results are 100% sharp (well, as sharp as that lens gets at f/1.2). I'm still to do more extensive testing.

However, I cannot imagine they would have used a lens with aperture ring not set to A for this studio test.

PS: no issue for me as I prefer M mode for this lens anyway.

06-01-2021, 01:18 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Which is the only lens DPReview used on the K-3 III.
In my opinion not the best choice. They should've used a macro or star lens to archieve highest sharpness.
The lens is a different story... we always have people comparing "camera" resolution on the extreme corners. And since nowadays these comparisons are against mirrorless with much younger lens lines...
06-01-2021, 01:18 AM - 1 Like   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
They used a star lens... And it is very sharp.
06-01-2021, 01:51 AM   #40

To me it is not a focus or a lens issue if night scene is tack sharp and if individual frame of Pixel Shift is tack sharp too.
I don't think they refocus between each shots.
I probably shutter shock as they say if Live View, optical viewfinder, mirror lock-up,and a self-timer make no difference.

Or may be it could be tripot related, plate or legs not correctly tightened causing shake at certains shutter speeds but it do not look like directional blur... or a software bug in firmware...
06-01-2021, 02:02 AM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

I did post this in the 'other thread' too. My findings so far.

Yes,

I did put it on tripod, carbon Benro with DÖRR XB-45 ball head.

In short. I shot from 1/30 to 1/160 of the second. DA*55 and I left SR on in some shots and did trigger from shutter button. No self timer. I used M.up and single frame shooting. I even deliberatelly left SR on in some shots(was not as bad as I would have thought) and quess what. Ones with SR on were the worst. Then there was difference of f stop, because with faster shutter I had to open it up. Then there was question of amount of Dof and the fact that DA*55 is not very sharp in pixel level when it is open up.

Conclusion: Guys left SR on by accident and try to blame the camera. Because that kind of resamble the picture shown by DPR.

( I have images and will shoose between best and worse, and I will not test it with more sturdy tripod, as it would not make any sense and I don't really have lust and time for this kind of stuff, as it appears to be clear case already.
06-01-2021, 02:44 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote

Conclusion: Guys left SR on by accident and try to blame the camera. Because that kind of resamble the picture shown by DPR.
Unfortunately they didn't leave SR on.

06-01-2021, 02:50 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Unfortunately they didn't leave SR on.
Well, then it could be faulty unit and or poor camera handling. I’m not really concerned about this thing. It is interesting, but as I’v not found anything to support this, it is not something I’ll worry about. I’m also running with the latest FW.
06-01-2021, 05:17 AM - 9 Likes   #44
Pentaxian

I hear DPReview has difficulties getting sharp images from the K-3 III under some circumstances.

Luckily, they did the responsible thing and first tried to thoroughly investigate all causes, including the case of a defective camera.

Oh, wait, they didn't.

To be clear, I'm not saying that they aren't onto something that Pentax needs to fix. This could very well be the case and we should thank DPReview, if they helped uncover a systematic problem.

However, as they write themselves "...this is something we'll be looking at further as we delve further into our analysis for our review.", by their own admission they have not explored all possible avenues yet in order to understand whether the problem is worth reporting about or not.

Even volunteer reviewers for pentaxforums.com or YouTubers know better to contact the manufacturer for clarification first, before they publish such results.

Simply appalling.
06-01-2021, 05:49 AM - 3 Likes   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's the dealio

[/COLOR]
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I hear DPReview has difficulties getting sharp images from the K-3 III under some circumstances.

Luckily, they did the responsible thing and first tried to thoroughly investigate all causes, including the case of a defective camera.

Oh, wait, they didn't.

To be clear, I'm not saying that they aren't onto something that Pentax needs to fix. This could very well be the case and we should thank DPReview, if they helped uncover a systematic problem.

However, as they write themselves "...this is something we'll be looking at further as we delve further into our analysis for our review.", by their own admission they have not explored all possible avenues yet in order to understand whether the problem is worth reporting about or not.

Even volunteer reviewers for pentaxforums.com or YouTubers know better to contact the manufacturer for clarification first, before they publish such results.

Simply appalling.
EXACTLY. That is what sickens me. Unprofessional "journalism" at its finest. Completely irresponsible!!!
Closed Thread