Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
feels like a "not interested, phone it in, let's get outta here" kind of review
06-04-2021, 05:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
feels like a "not interested, phone it in, let's get outta here" kind of review
He pointed out the Pentax strengths, customization and button layout, astrotracer.

AF-C and a viewfinder that is basically on par with cheaper camera’s that have been out for years isn’t something a reviewer is going to rave about. It’s a big deal for people only in a Pentax system but for everyone else they’ve had fast AF-C for a long time now, and viewfinders that are the same in less expensive full frame camera’s for years.

Other than the rich feature set and astrotracer, what really sets this thing apart? He mentioned weather sealing, but most have that now, some more so (Nikon Z everything is sealed).

Don’t get me wrong its a great camera that can get great images, but if you aren’t exclusively a Pentax user it’s kinda nothing new to see here other than what he mentioned.
06-04-2021, 06:27 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
He pointed out the Pentax strengths, customization and button layout, astrotracer.

AF-C and a viewfinder that is basically on par with cheaper camera’s that have been out for years isn’t something a reviewer is going to rave about. It’s a big deal for people only in a Pentax system but for everyone else they’ve had fast AF-C for a long time now, and viewfinders that are the same in less expensive full frame camera’s for years.

Other than the rich feature set and astrotracer, what really sets this thing apart? He mentioned weather sealing, but most have that now, some more so (Nikon Z everything is sealed).

Don’t get me wrong its a great camera that can get great images, but if you aren’t exclusively a Pentax user it’s kinda nothing new to see here other than what he mentioned.
I get it that you are a lover of little bitty TV screens on electronic image capture devices but kindly point out what APS-C camera has an equivalent viewfinder, I noticed you qualified your statement by mentioning Full Frame cameras which the Mk III is not but you failed to mention an APS-C camera with an equivalent viewfinder. Why is that?? Just curious!

06-04-2021, 06:59 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I get it that you are a lover of little bitty TV screens on electronic image capture devices but kindly point out what APS-C camera has an equivalent viewfinder, I noticed you qualified your statement by mentioning Full Frame cameras which the Mk III is not but you failed to mention an APS-C camera with an equivalent viewfinder. Why is that?? Just curious!
Fuji has 3 APS-C bodies with larger viewinders than the K-3 III
06-04-2021, 07:34 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Little TV screens are not equivalent optical viewfinders, My Friend! You knew damn well what I meant! If you like the electronic viewfinder then roll on. You like to be the resident contrarian, don't you? You know, just to toss a bit of gasoline on the fire is a bit of fun, isn't it?

Last edited by Larrymc; 06-04-2021 at 07:42 PM.
06-04-2021, 09:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Well since you need to bring up EVF’s which I didn’t, you probably shouldn’t qualify them as “itty bitty” when they have a larger viewfinder experience than this new APS-C option for half the price. You had to mention it!

The review was fair, Pentax has great customization and astrotracer as mentioned. Being a very expensive APS-C (as if APS-C is appealing) with a viewfinder equivalent to full frames that are and have been available for half a decade for far less money isn’t something I would be impressed with either.

---------- Post added 06-04-2021 at 09:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Lol. Don’t mention they have good AF-C too.

Pentax got to on par with this one, congrats on catching up Pentax. I think expecting glowing reviews on how revolutionary it is to be on par is expecting to much outside the Pentax bubble.

The K-33 is a great camera, but it’s not going to light reviewers pants on fire.

06-05-2021, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Keep it civil, please. These K3III threads are getting touchy, and there is absolutely no need for that. I just closed a thread this morning, with the support of the mod staff. We are watching.
06-05-2021, 08:09 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Little TV screens are not equivalent optical viewfinders, My Friend! You knew damn well what I meant! If you like the electronic viewfinder then roll on. You like to be the resident contrarian, don't you? You know, just to toss a bit of gasoline on the fire is a bit of fun, isn't it?

Actually, because you mentioned EVFs, I assumed you did, in fact, mean an EVF that was "equivalent" to an OVF. For a long time, MILC APS-C bodies did not offer EVFs as large as the OVF in Pentax bodies, and those EVFs tended to be rather low-resolution. Things have improved, though, and it is fair to say that a well-specified EVF is "equivalent" to an OVF. Each viewfinder has its own strengths and weaknesses, with no particular reason to mock either.

As far as being a contrarian goes, perhaps you are thinking of someone... who is not me
06-05-2021, 08:24 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This TCSTV guy - Dave - is admittedly a MILCman, so it stands to reason he is not as impressed as some of us are by the OVF.

I took a look at some of the other TCSTV camera reviews, and this one for the K-3 III is significantly shorter than their other camera reviews. It might be due to lack of interest, or it might be due to the other member of the TCSTV duo having recently given birth.
06-05-2021, 08:45 AM - 4 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cost Comparison -- Fujifilm

I think that The Camera Store's 'hands-on review' is reasonable, albeit not a 'rah-rah, razzle dazzle' type of presentation nor an in-depth look. The reviewer mentions a number of characteristics -- robust SR, AA simulator, astrotracer, decent frame rate, tactile buttons at your fingertips, extensive customization, night vision mode, sharp images. The "quality" optical viewfinder is mentioned several times, and he mentions its "excellent information" and the "pleasing viewfinder experience."

On the other hand, the video capability is probably best for casual use, and the buffer is "limited."

Overall, he says that "you really got to love a DSLR camera" to opt for this one over other choices, which is a fair observation.

What other features set this camera apart from others?

The brief review doesn't compare other brands. For interest, I've looked into the prices of comparable kits based on the K-3 Mark III, a Fujifilm X-T4, and the 15-300mm coverage that I get from my core lenses.

K-3 Mark III + 15,21,35 mm Limiteds; DA 18-135mm; DA* 50-135mm and DA* 300: Current price CAD $7140.
Fuji X-T4 + XF 16/2.8, 23/2, 35/2, 18-135, 50-140, 100-400: CAD $8990.

The Fuji would cost CAD $1850 more than the Pentax set.

I excluded my DA 20-40mm Limited, because Fuji doesn't offer a similar lens. Of course, the price of the Fuji kit is driven by the 100-400 and 50-140. I'll concede that other lens groupings would change the price comparison. For example, including a telephoto macro would compare the Fuji 80/2.8 (CAD $1,600) to the excellent Pentax D FA 100/2.8 WR (CAD $600). Swapping the DA* 300 for a DA 55-300 PLM (CAD $500) would drive the price down, as it would for the Fuji set (replace the 100-400 with their new 70-300 at $1050).

Despite the seemingly relative high price of the K-3 Mark III, an overall kit could be quite a bit less expensive than Fuji APS-C.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 07-24-2021 at 09:20 AM. Reason: typo
06-05-2021, 06:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I think that The Camera Store's 'hands-on review' is reasonable, albeit not a 'rah-rah, razzle dazzle' type of presentation nor an in-depth look. The reviewer mentions a number of characteristics -- robust SR, AA simulator, astrotracer, decent frame rate, tactile buttons at your fingertips, extensive customization, night vision mode, sharp images. The "quality" optical viewfinder is mentioned several times, and he mentions its "excellent information" and the "pleasing viewfinder experience."

On the other hand, the video capability is probably best for casual use, and the buffer is "limited."

Overall, he says that "you really got to love a DSLR camera" to opt for this one over other choices, which is a fair observation.

What other features set this camera apart from others?

The brief review doesn't compare other brands. For interest, I've looked into the prices of comparable kits based on the K-3 Mark III, a Fujifilm X-T4, and the 15-300mm coverage that I get from my core lenses.

K-3 Mark III + 15,21,35 mm Limiteds; DA 18-135mm; DA* 50-135mm and DA* 300: Current price CAD $7140.
Fuji X-T4 + XF 16/2.8, 23/2, 35/2, 18-135, 50-140, 100-300: CAD $8990.

The Fuji would cost CAD $1850 more than the Pentax set.

I excluded my DA 20-40mm Limited, because Fuji doesn't offer a similar lens. Of course, the price of the Fuji kit is driven by the 100-400 and 50-140. I'll concede that other lens groupings would change the price comparison. For example, including a telephoto macro would compare the Fuji 80/2.8 (CAD $1,600) to the excellent Pentax D FA 100/2.8 WR (CAD $600). Swapping the DA* 300 for a DA 55-300 PLM (CAD $500) would drive the price down, as it would for the Fuji set (replace the 100-400 with their new 70-300 at $1050).

Despite the seemingly relative high price of the K-3 Mark III, an overall kit could be quite a bit less expensive than Fuji APS-C.

- Craig
For the price of that kit you could also get a D-500 + Tamron 10-24 3.5-4, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4, SIgma 50-100 1.8, Tamron G2 70-200 2.8, Tamron G2 150-600.
Or swap in/out from a bunch of primes. You’ll get larger apertures than the limited primes from Pentax and more wide and telephoto on the ends.
06-05-2021, 06:55 PM - 5 Likes   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

For the price of that kit you could also get a D-500
D500?

Only 22 Mp.

No IBIS.

No Pixel Shift.

50% less pixels in its autofocus tracking array.

No noise reducing and dynamic range increasing accelerator (for better or worse)

Lacking perhaps the most advanced OVF ever made.

Just not the same camera, Lee, I'm afraid. No cheaper at launch, either.

Already seemingly discontinued by Nikon as it really shafts loyal F mount buyers, who aren't buying the Zs, unfortunately.
06-05-2021, 07:22 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For the price of that kit you could also get a D-500 + Tamron 10-24 3.5-4, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4, SIgma 50-100 1.8, Tamron G2 70-200 2.8, Tamron G2 150-600.Or swap in/out from a bunch of primes. You’ll get larger apertures than the limited primes from Pentax and more wide and telephoto on the ends.
Agreed, there are all sorts of different combinations at various price points. I would guess that one could even assemble a low-end full-frame kit at around that budget, with the typical strengths and weaknesses that that format brings.

Incidentally, the D500/Sigma/Tamron kit would sell for nearly CAD $8100 at the moment, so the larger apertures and wider focal-length range come with a price. (I haven't priced out the kits in USD, but they're typically ~30% less in USD than the Canadian prices, which reflects the exchange rate.)

No doubt, there are plenty of options and trade-offs across the various brands. I'd say that the Camera Store's mini-review highlighted some of the key features of the K-3 Mark III, but perhaps failed to convey the essence of the camera -- a remarkable, refined DSLR that is a joy to use (in my opinion, at least).

- Craig
06-05-2021, 08:18 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
D500?

Only 22 Mp.
Do people really care that much about 22 vs 26mp?

QuoteQuote:
No IBIS.
Plenty of users have been doing fine with in lens stabilization forever.

QuoteQuote:
No Pixel Shift.
It’s a gimmick that only works on still life, which can be easily done in post processing if needed

QuoteQuote:
50% less pixels in its autofocus tracking array.
If this doesn’t equate to AF works better than it’s a marketing gimmick

QuoteQuote:
No noise reducing and dynamic range increasing accelerator (for better or worse)
For better or worse depending on the user.

QuoteQuote:
Lacking perhaps the most advanced OVF ever made.
But will people care that much?

QuoteQuote:
Just not the same camera, Lee, I'm afraid. No cheaper at launch, either.
But it’s not launch time is it? Its 5 years later and there are discounts

QuoteQuote:
Already seemingly discontinued by Nikon as it really shafts loyal F mount buyers, who aren't buying the Zs, unfortunately.
‘It’s in stock everywhere here, as are all the lenses. The Z’s have been out of stock forever, so either they can’t make them or they can’t sell them fast enough. We shall see won’t we, how many sales of this K-33 will happen? I’ll bet a minuscule fraction of Z body sales.

Now for the Pentax bullets since you want to make this a bullet point affair to be fair to the old Nikon. If I’m a new buyer looking I see this:

- Far less lenses, with anemic third party support. Good luck with that 150-600.
- A tiny buffer to hamstring that frame rate
-Slower cards to help with that effect
-Still doesn’t hit the D-500 mark for AF-C
-Less focus points, less cross type, see above.
-No flip screen for wildlife photographers to get low or other uses
-A lower resolution screen compared to a 5 year old camera.

And this is competing with a half decade old body now by just catching up-ish. And only for a new buyer looking for OVF, really how many of them are there?

It’s a good option for a current Pentax user but I don’t see it if your now just looking to come into a DSLR. You have the option into mirrorless with FTZ or Canon’s equivalent as a new buyer.

Pentax is selling nostalgia to a small loyal group at this point. I don’t think this camera will win many new sales when you objectively look at the other options on the market.

Getting back to the original point of this thread and why the reviewer wasn’t super enthusiastic, it’s because the camera is now just “on par” with older DSLR’s to an objective person. There isn’t anything new going on here. And if you’re really non allergic to mirrorless then you’ll be looking at the Z6ii and R6 as competition. Remember not everyone is in a rose colored glasses Pentaxian bubble who’s doing these reviews. People here get downright cultish and attack reviewers when they don’t seem to come off loving the camera they way folks think they should on this forum. But this is a bubble.

I mean the attacks are so bad that DPreview played with the theme in the opining of their review knowing you guys would pounce. As someone who uses a bunch of brands and likes different camera’s for what they are, this forum comes off as very aggressive if you don’t have anything but a very pro pentax point of view, or bring up a counterpoint as I’ve just done. Objectively I don’t see the K-33 as a clear cut superior option to a D-500, due to the points above.

---------- Post added 06-05-2021 at 08:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Agreed, there are all sorts of different combinations at various price points. I would guess that one could even assemble a low-end full-frame kit at around that budget, with the typical strengths and weaknesses that that format brings.

Incidentally, the D500/Sigma/Tamron kit would sell for nearly CAD $8100 at the moment, so the larger apertures and wider focal-length range come with a price. (I haven't priced out the kits in USD, but they're typically ~30% less in USD than the Canadian prices, which reflects the exchange rate.)

No doubt, there are plenty of options and trade-offs across the various brands. I'd say that the Camera Store's mini-review highlighted some of the key features of the K-3 Mark III, but perhaps failed to convey the essence of the camera -- a remarkable, refined DSLR that is a joy to use (in my opinion, at least).

- Craig
I priced in US dollars and it was the same, but no doubt it’s different at Canadian outlets. I do really wish the 150-600 Tamron G2 could be offered of rebranded as a Pentax lense to pair with the K-33. That would plug one of the systems weak points.

I think the K33 is great if you already spent the money and have a full kit of Pentax glass. I’m probably going to get one eventually once the price drops to use with my Pentax glass. But that’s the target they’re going after. It’s a much tougher sell imo if you aren’t already invested.

I think the reviewer did a good job. Having a bunch of camera’s in my collection I find the Pentax’s fun but I don’t feel like anything’s special in them compared to an OMD or Nikon etc. They have a good feature set, and top notch ergonomics but in other ways they lack in comparison. I don’t think I’d buy in today if I were new to the market like I was over a decade ago because the features that sold me on Pentax aren’t exclusive to the brand any more, although they caught up to a position where they used to be with the K33 AF being very close, similar to how it was 10 years ago. Weather resistance is in most cameras now, that used to be a huge Pentax strength when Nikon and Canon only offered it in top of the line body’s and glass that were very expensive. That’s what got me here. Now the entire Z line is extensively sealed for example, more so then the Pentax options actually.

The brand needs to get some more lenses out and plug the holes in it’s lens lineup, then it’ll at least be in a more solid comparison when someone is lining the options up side by side to see what they want to invest in.

And people seem to think Canon and Nikon are going to just drop the DSLR lines but I think they’ll keep them on market for a decade without much changing. They’re still competitive so Pentax won’t be the solo choice for OVF user’s anytime soon.