Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
06-10-2021, 08:07 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
I don't think Pål is referring to the smart function itself, but rather to the cryptic way the setting is shown in the top LCD. I agree with him there, the acronyms used to make the description fit the screen are not easy to interpret and as such have very little added value to be shown there. A counter would make more sense indeed.
I would agree. When I first saw the Smart Function segment on the top LCD, I thought the LCD was damaged. Now that I understand the display and the Smart Function settings, I can interpret the abbreviations fairly easily, but I agree -- it's cryptic.

To see the 'shots remaining', it's easy enough to toggle ON the rear display, but it takes 3 presses of the Info button to cycle through the display from off, info, back to off.

- Craig

06-10-2021, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #17
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I would agree. When I first saw the Smart Function segment on the top LCD, I thought the LCD was damaged. Now that I understand the display and the Smart Function settings, I can interpret the abbreviations fairly easily, but I agree -- it's cryptic.

To see the 'shots remaining', it's easy enough to toggle ON the rear display, but it takes 3 presses of the Info button to cycle through the display from off, info, back to off.

- Craig
I have my LCD turned off. Pressing once gives me the Personal menu thingy. In one corner I find how many shots are left. Then I just press the shutter to turn it off again.
06-10-2021, 08:20 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
...The metal rings on my K-5 II and K-3 II appear to have the same construction as the ones on my K-3 Mark III (without the plastic wrap-around), and I believe this has been a standard design for years on various brands. Like you, I wondered about these D-rings several years ago when I was doing my monthly camera check, but concluded that fraying would be improbable. I don't recall finding any reports of failures in the type of flat strap that I use, and I have not noticed any fraying on the strap, which I've used on all three cameras ...Craig
These split rings with the small plastic bit are an invention of Nikon to prevent fraying of the strap. And all other brands are copying them and implementing it correctly. However, Pentax (with the supplier of the rings) is the only one who has no clue how this simple item works. Very sad. I dumped them in the litter bin and got original Nikon rings (and a Nikon AN-4B strap).

---------- Post added 06-11-21 at 01:33 AM ----------

Would it be fair to distinguish between design "failures" and design compromises? Or distinguish "design failures" and potential system failures? ...- Craig
A design compromise implies that you understand what you are doing and that you are searching for an optimum, but in the case of Pentax it is plain stupidity in most cases. They are the laughingstock for the other brands.
06-10-2021, 08:35 AM - 1 Like   #19
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
These split rings with the small plastic bit are an invention of Nikon to prevent fraying of the strap. And all other brands are copying them and implementing it correctly. However, Pentax (with the supplier of the rings) is the only one who has no clue how this simple item works. Very sad. I dumped them in the litter bin and got original Nikon rings (and a Nikon AN-4B strap).

---------- Post added 06-11-21 at 01:33 AM ----------

A design compromise implies that you understand what you are doing and that you are searching for an optimum, but in the case of Pentax it is plain stupidity in most cases. They are the laughingstock for the other brands.
I have used my Pentaxes for many years and have hade no issues whatsoever with the straps. A non issue I would argue.

06-10-2021, 08:36 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And all other brands are copying them and implementing it correctly.
I'm not sure about all the other brands, but I see what you mean about the Nikon ring (I see examples online). The ring on the K-3 III is not symmetrical, so it's not possible to reposition its plastic clip. Good to know, I guess.

- Craig
06-10-2021, 08:45 AM   #21
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . .A design compromise implies that you understand what you are doing and that you are searching for an optimum, but in the case of Pentax it is plain stupidity in most cases. They are the laughingstock for the other brands.
Every one is free to have an opinion
06-10-2021, 08:58 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
I have used my Pentaxes for many years and have hade no issues whatsoever with the straps. A non issue I would argue.
I have seen fraying of my valuable Nikon AN-4B straps on Pentax cameras and in the past put a small leather strip inside the loop to prevent that. But what you are saying is that the invention of this ring by Nikon is a waste of time, and that all the other brands don't know why they are using them.

As far as I know Leica is the only one who hasn't this type of ring. They have classic circular rings instead, but most of the Leica owners are using leather straps I guess, and these are not as much vulnerable to fraying.

Last edited by Kobayashi.K; 06-10-2021 at 09:13 AM.
06-10-2021, 12:28 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
I have my LCD turned off. Pressing once gives me the Personal menu thingy. In one corner I find how many shots are left. Then I just press the shutter to turn it off again.
Thank you. This is a better method than I was using -- only two presses are required.

- Craig
12-02-2021, 02:48 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

...because Pentaxians are allergic to critique.
I have found this out more than once here as the ruler has come down on my knuckles with all the force of a Nun correcting a seventh grader.