Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 62 Likes Search this Thread
06-10-2021, 06:32 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Would you please identify the lens?
FA 50 1.7 (DA 35 2.4 seems the same but haven't checked on a big screen yet)

Tripod mounted, or hand held?
Tripod

For images 3 and 4, was SR on or off?
2 sec delay (SR disabled according to Menu)

06-10-2021, 07:05 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by snappyhoffy Quote
So is this the simple solution for now... turn off the Horizontal Correction and if needed Post Process?
Absolutely the best solution, I've never ever used Auto Horizon Correction in my K-3 and I don't intend to start with the Mk III same thing for composition adjustments. The default is off and from what is being discussed, it should stay in the default off mode. With good processing software horizon alignment is easy.
06-10-2021, 11:01 PM - 3 Likes   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok, should have done this earlier.

DA 35mm 2.4 (doesn't really matter)

Left side of frame.

1st shot 2 sec timer, horizon correction OFF.

Name:  IMGP3934ce2.JPG
Views: 511
Size:  546.3 KB

2nd shot 2 sec timer, horizon correction ON.

Name:  IMGP3935ce2HC.JPG
Views: 509
Size:  531.3 KB
06-11-2021, 01:48 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would argue that horizon correction on a tripod makes no sense anyway, given that the level can be carefully set. It's only useful when shooting hand held, and even then... I always make sure it's turned off anyway, because I often align with verticals on the side of the frame, in which case horizon correction actually threatens to mess up my composition...

I would be all for switching this off automatically in the typical tripod modes, regardless of this error.

If they can however, Ricoh should fix this through firmware of course, and not just implement this work around...

06-11-2021, 02:53 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for posting the link. I have been following that thread at DPReview. I think that it covers the issue well.

In summary, the issue appears when Horizon Correction is ON and the 2-second, 12-second, or IR Remote 3-second timer is used. The issue appears in either viewfinder mode or Live View.

I have reproduced the effect -- camera on tripod, Horizon Correction ON, 2-second timer, DA 20-40mm Limited at 35mm, f/5.6, 1/60 s. The effect is independent of the SR mode; SR can be ON or OFF. I have not tested it while hand-holding the camera, nor at other shutter speeds.

The centre of the image is sharp, while the corners are blurry. The blurriness increases progressively from the centre towards the corners.

- Craig
I thought that the SR was automatically turned off when the 2 second, 12 second, and IR remote timer were used. It doesn't really matter what the camera is set to.

(The blurriness sure doesn't look like a typical shutter shake to me).
06-11-2021, 03:05 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
Ok, should have done this earlier.
Does turning on 'composition adjust' make any difference ?
06-11-2021, 03:13 AM - 1 Like   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
Does turning on 'composition adjust' make any difference ?
Just checked, turning on 'composition adjust' by itself seems to not cause any issue, turning on 'composition adjust' and 'horizon correction' gives the same result as 'shot 2' above.

Turning the 2 sec timer OFF and 'horizon correction' ON gives the same result as 'shot 1' above.

06-11-2021, 05:01 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I thought that the SR was automatically turned off when the 2 second, 12 second, and IR remote timer were used.
Yes, that's the normal default operation. The 'auto SR off' function can be defeated by a menu setting (Camera 7 page).

- Craig
06-11-2021, 06:46 AM - 4 Likes   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can confirm that if I set horizon correction to on, set the camera on a tripod with the 2 second timer, have the camera just slightly off level, and take a shot the image is definitely blurry with the most exaggerated effects on the edges.

I've only used the camera in a handful of other tripod situations but can confirm that without horizon correction on I've seen no such effect.

I now have a U5 preset named "Helios Sim". Need to try it out with my 44M to see just how swirly I can get.
06-11-2021, 07:43 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I now have a U5 preset named "Helios Sim". Need to try it out with my 44M to see just how swirly I can get.
Ah, it's a feature, not a bug. but... why not...
06-11-2021, 07:55 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Ah, it's a feature, not a bug. but... why not...
The downside is that even the center isn't sharp since it looks like the sensor is rotating.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
06-12-2021, 03:04 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Strange then that it doesn't happen when used on a tripod when not using 2s delay (all else equal)...
Things are being mixed up here.

1) only corner softness around horizon correction
That seems related to the timing of the horizon correction of the sensor.

If only the corners are soft this is about the sensor adjustment and definitely not vibration induced (definitely not "shutter shock").

2) general vibration induced softness when used on tripod
That is what I referred to mainly. This is the topic created by the interns at dptabloid.
Here the softness clearly is in the center of the image as well.
And this very likely is related to the resonance effects described if the lieklyhood of occurence is as low as it is when using the camera in a well dampenend scenario (e.g. handheld, proper dampened tripod).
06-12-2021, 04:59 AM   #43
Unregistered User

In 2016 I was standing on top of a mountain on the border between Norway and Sweden. My K-1 on tripod and 12s timer, HC on and SR off. I could not get a sharp shot. I wonder if this is the same issue?
I can´t for my life remember what the problem was and how I fixed it but it may have been the HC...

Last edited by Unregistered User; 06-12-2021 at 05:15 AM.
06-12-2021, 09:52 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
2) general vibration induced softness when used on tripod
That is what I referred to mainly. This is the topic created by the interns at dptabloid.
Here the softness clearly is in the center of the image as well.
And this very likely is related to the resonance effects described if the lieklyhood of occurence is as low as it is when using the camera in a well dampenend scenario (e.g. handheld, proper dampened tripod).
There's no shutter induced softness when used on a tripod. Not on my camera at least.
The center is also soft on these 2s self-timer shots (with leveling on) but it get progressively worse towards the edges.
06-12-2021, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #45
Unregistered User

Did some testing today with K-3 III and DFA24-70/2.8 and checked the sharpness using HC On, SR Off, 1/125 f/3.2 MUP and 12s timer. Gave same result as HC On, SR Off, 1/125 f/3.2 and 2s timer.

Unsharp images. More on the edges than in the center. I was shooting at ISO1600 so at ISO100 it will be even more visible.

Turning HC Off fixed the problem. Did the same test on my K-1 but no difference in sharpness at all.

Now we know the problem and can work arround it but hopefully it will be fixed in FW.